Motor and esc suggestions for kraton 8s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H1:5HOFFMAN

Hey all, new to the forum. I did a couple searches but didn't really find what I'm looking for. I just purchased a kraton 8s and I'm looking for suggestions on which motor and esc I should go with that will be an upgrade from the spectrum firma that came in it. I was originally going to go with the roller and build it the way I wanted, but I got a crazy good deal on the RTR version so went with that. What would you guys suggest to upgrade to that will give me more power/speed over the spectrum firma motor/esc that came in it. Or is that combo pretty good and not needing replacement/upgrade? Everything else is stock but I plan to upgrade the steering servo as well. Running 6500mah 100c 4s lipo's thank you in advance!

Hey all, new to the forum. I did a couple searches but didn't really find what I'm looking for. I just purchased a kraton 8s and I'm looking for suggestions on which motor and esc I should go with that will be an upgrade from the spectrum firma that came in it. I was originally going to go with the roller and build it the way I wanted, but I got a crazy good deal on the RTR version so went with that. What would you guys suggest to upgrade to that will give me more power/speed over the spectrum firma motor/esc that came in it. Or is that combo pretty good and not needing replacement/upgrade? Everything else is stock but I plan to upgrade the steering servo as well. Running 6500mah 100c 4s lipo's thank you in advance!
If it’s your first 8s. I’d stick with stock. Jazz it up by fitting a 25 tooth pinion. And a 39Tooth spur. You will reach 55mph. I’m currently about to do a full re-build on mine using my M2C racing chassis and I’m going for speed so fitting a 12s esc with 750kv motor. My outcast is 23 tooth pinion on stock spur and that’s doing 51mph. But he’s just pure basher. Kraton going to be speed demon.

And why is that? Also, hobbywing also makes more powerful escs than castle. And its just true, castle motors, most of the time, get hotter than others.
I've seen plenty Fliers go up when pushed, not beyond their rated current mind you.
Hobbywing simply isn't more powerful than Castle, I cannot fathom where you pulled that from, why do you think there's hardly any Hobbywing ESCs in top speed run RCs?
My brother has had both Hobbywing and Castle, it's incomparable.
Either way OP can research for himself, it's pretty unanimous.

I assume he is bashing a kraton... and hobbywing can just take the abuse better.
Which is irrelevant considering what my entire point has been so far.
Castle ESCs are notably more powerful than their competitors, as previously stated, that's why you won't find any other ESC on top speed run systems.
I'm not sure what you mean by "take the abuse better", as I've not heard of notable failures from either brand from simply bashing.

OK take for example... you land a big jump and a motor plug comes loose. A castle would likely go up in flames, a hobbywing will hang in there
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have no evidence to prove either statements, and having a motor plug in particular come loose is the fault of the user as far as I'm concerned.
If they're not tight, you bend them until they are, I've had some pretty horrendous crashes and not once have I had a plug come out.

I'm confident in either situation you will end up with a bad day, regardless of brand.
To be quite honest I'm bored of debating with a fanboy, all of your points so far have been subjective at best.

Last edited:
And what would you consider most powerful? Alien/Flier are disasters waiting to happen.
I'm also not sure where you get the "Castle runs hotter", I run an 800kV at 12S without fans and have no problem touching the motor.
Hi twitchfast.
what pinion and spur are you running with that combo and what speeds were you getting? What tires you running too ?

Hi twitchfast.
what pinion and spur are you running with that combo and what speeds were you getting? What tires you running too ?
My brother is running the XLX2 + 800kV combo, it's in his Baja on 8S, can't recall the pinion however he's running a 48T spur.
Top speed is guaranteed over 60mph, problem is his wheels exploded before he got there lol.
Not sure whether you're on/off road however I would suggest 1/5th scale GRPs for road use, off-road I would look at Proline and make sure they're banded.

To clarify, a guy on YouTube managed to get an EXB Kraton to 100+Mph using an XLX2+1100kV motor, it was a speedrun setup of course but there's no better proof of power than that imo.

the second time it happened, and I have also seen castle ESCs go up in person
The fact you posted that is embarrassing, you are aware that was a faulty batch that has been remedied?
Any ESC can go up, exhibit A:
That's a shorted battery, you can tell by the noise, much like the faults found on the faulty XLX2's that were shipped and recalled.
That fault also wouldn't occur if you use a Castle motor, it's a D wind/kV problem which was fixed as well.

I don't really see your argument, I can find any ESC that has blown up, however I can't find any that beat Castle in performance.

Or you are too much of a fanboy to accept any, I have owned my fair share of both. For example ZTW is far more powerful.
Find me a ZTW that competes with a Castle in performance.
I assume you prefer budget options regardless of how much of a ticking time bomb they may be.
ZTW ESCs are god awful for sensored capabilities as well as being known for blowing up on 12S, why do you think the Voltz is limited to 8S despite being built from the ground up for 12S?

I'll refrain from replying to you any further, it's clear you're boycotting a product because they had a faulty batch which is quite frankly sad, but I suppose I'm not the one missing out.
Try pulling 500A from either of your "powerful" and "safe" products, I just hope you have a fire extinguisher on hand.

I own both castle and hobbywing.. Castle is far better.. Ridiculous smooth power delivery where the hobbywing has a delay which im guessing is its safety.. Which is what some people don't want. Me included... Ztw is not worth even getting into as its a 12s esc which catches fire the second you put any sort of load on it running 12s.

Hi I bought a Kraton 8s at Christmas and ran it for a while. The urge though for more speed is always there. I have now changed the ESC for a Beast 12s 300a, and changed the motor for a Castle 800kv.. I have a 39 spur and 39 pinion. So running 1:1. This is the maximum power I think you can run on this rig. You cannot just floor it, it will flip over from the start. I have recorded 74 mph on a grass field which is totally awesome for such a large car.
Hi I bought a Kraton 8s at Christmas and ran it for a while. The urge though for more speed is always there. I have now changed the ESC for a Beast 12s 300a, and changed the motor for a Castle 800kv.. I have a 39 spur and 39 pinion. So running 1:1. This is the maximum power I think you can run on this rig. You cannot just floor it, it will flip over from the start. I have recorded 74 mph on a grass field which is totally awesome for such a large car.
I forgot to mention 2 Spectrum 6s 100c batteries.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks