My Baja Clone Project, Pt. 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

I just tested the Rovan 30.5cc engine that came with the baja 5b clone, after installing a Wt 990 carb. Man! It started right off: one turn of the drill. Then it stopped. I then went to town tuning the carb, after which I found the sweet spot, and it continued running like a dream. Smooth.

I've decided to hold onto the cumbersome pipe that came with it. Of course, it's described as a 'piece-a' crap, but I guess it grew on me. I'll keep it until I can afford better. Lol.

Let me share something I got from the exciting rc guru, Botajell, on his YouTube channel. He got himself the very clone I have and said that the tolerance between the top of the engine's piston and the spark plug was so close, the piston would hit the tip of the plug and bend it--shortening the life of the plug. I found his deduction interesting and decided to take a look at the surface of my piston. Sure enough there was a little ding.

So, I followed his advice for a fix: I took the washer that seats a spark plug off an old one and added it to a new plug. That meant, with 2 rings, the tip of the new plug was a little higher from the top of the piston.

I lost nothing in the above exercise; don't know if I gained anything. But for what it's worth, I'm passing this on.

PEACE!
photo_editor_ds_1567453558968.png

I just tested the Rovan 30.5cc engine that came with the baja 5b clone, after installing a Wt 990 carb. Man! It started right off: one turn of the drill. Then it stopped. I then went to town tuning the carb, after which I found the sweet spot, and it continued running like a dream. Smooth.

I've decided to hold onto the cumbersome pipe that came with it. Of course, it's described as a 'piece-a' crap, but I guess it grew on me. I'll keep it until I can afford better. Lol.

Let me share something I got from the exciting rc guru, Botajell, on his YouTube channel. He got himself the very clone I have and said that the tolerance between the top of the engine's piston and the spark plug was so close, the piston would hit the tip of the plug and bend it--shortening the life of the plug. I found his deduction interesting and decided to take a look at the surface of my piston. Sure enough there was a little ding.

So, I followed his advice for a fix: I took the washer that seats a spark plug off an old one and added it to a new plug. That meant, with 2 rings, the tip of the new plug was a little higher from the top of the piston.

I lost nothing in the above exercise; don't know if I gained anything. But for what it's worth, I'm passing this on.

PEACE!
View attachment 53042
Good thing you did it before it was too late!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks