My engine Issiue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Ok, this is how it all started. 15 minutes into my engine brake in i manage to seize my engine and my FG fun was cut very short. now i alrdy know that i was running to lean and thats why it seized.

but now i got a friends engine, hes old 260 with a 29cc topend. and this motor worked fine when we started it in the bench but now that its in my truck i cannot get it to start. i dunno what to do, im quite the novice here:helpsmilie:
ive taken apart the carb but its clean, ive taken apart the topend but it looks ok. the engine is (no longer) soaked i think it was befor because there was actually fuel comming out from the pipe when i sat it on its back.

but when i maked sure it was dry i tried to start it without giving more gass ( even without the carb on ) and it sounded just like it was gonna start but it wont, i put the car on and tried , nothing.
Ive tried giving it a wee bit of starter gas and then it really sounded like it was gonna start but no. so i try giving it a bit of gas and starter gas and it sounds like its getting soaked again.

im using new pluggs
the needles is 1.5out on the H and 1.25out on the L
the idler i havnt touched.

im gonna try and link a few pics on the motor but they where taken with a crappy cellphone camera.

please any feedback or help on this. i really wanna get the truck started this weekend :blush:

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 53
  • piston1.jpg
    piston1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 45
  • motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 50
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 44
Looks as if you took the motor apart. Duh.
If you took the piston off make sure you installed it the right way around for exhaust. Also make sure the ring was in properly with the piston pin between the ends of the ring.
Make sure that all the seals and the bolts are tight. If you have an air leak you will have a heck of a time trying to start it. Check the head seal and the carb seal. Make sure you are installing the carb seal the right way, on many carbs there are some small holes in the seal that are need to be installed properly for the carb to allow fuel to pump. (This may be on some carbs and not others, check your seal for the small holes).
Make sure your plug is firing with a good bright spark, Get a new one just in case.
Make sure you know which way the choke is on or off - Sound dumb but we've all done it now or then.
Make sure you have the fuel lines correctly installed. In line to clunk in tank to bottom and out to top of carb.
Make sure you have installed the coil correctly install a small business card between the rotor and the coil this should get you to the .3 -.4mm that it is to be gaped at.

And if all else fails ask again.:)

thanx for the info!
i havnt removed the piston and its alrdy in the right way, the lill arrow facing the exhaust.

im not sure i undertsand what you mean here [ Make sure you have installed the coil correctly install a small business card between the rotor and the coil this should get you to the .3 -.4mm that it is to be gaped at ]

whats the coil and rotor? my englishisnt flawless :p

/ Gus

the coil is what makes the plug spark. its at the other end of the spark plug wire.

there is a "LEG" at the bottom of the coil. this Leg senses the magnets on the flywheel (Rotor) as it spins. thus making a spark at the plug.
the gap between the "LEG" and the flywheel should be about the thickness of a regualr business card. loosen coil. slide business card between coil and flywheel. set coil "LEG" on busness card and retighten coil in place. remove business card. this sets the gap, the distance between the "leg" and the flywheel, so you get proper amount of spark at the plug.

check you fuel lines, make sure there are no kinks. also be sure your gas cap vent isnt blocked. to check if this is the problem, just loosen the gas cap, if it starts and runs fine. tighten cap while running, if it stalls. the cap vent is plugged up and stopping the flow of fuel. check for air leaks on the gas lines and the carb manifold for leaks and be sure the baskets are ok and all is properly tightened. also check the cylinder head for proper tightened bolts and that the cylinder gasket is good. you say 29CC motor, does this have the 2mm stroker crank? if so are the gaskets stacked under the cylinder ect... in good shape ect?
T

thanx for the info!
i havnt removed the piston and its alrdy in the right way, the lill arrow facing the exhaust.

im not sure i undertsand what you mean here [ Make sure you have installed the coil correctly install a small business card between the rotor and the coil this should get you to the .3 -.4mm that it is to be gaped at ]

whats the coil and rotor? my englishisnt flawless :p

/ Gus

Here ya go, the item just above the rotor in this photo bolted to the head. You probably removed it when you took the head off. The spark plug wire is connected to it.:)

Attachments

• DSC01406.jpg
    DSC01406.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 125
todays progress :

today i switch carbs with a friend of mine just to make sure that the carb wasnt the problem.

but the motor still wont start. we have been trying to start it without the pipe on and when we pull the starter it fires. theres a blue flame out of the outlet but it wont run on its own but it defonatly fires and sometimes its soo close to start on its own but it just wont, when we try to give some gass it sounds just like its soaked.
so the we have tried to blow the motor dry with some compressed air and do it all over again, pull pull pull - blue flames blue flames - almost runs on its own - continue pulling but now giving a wee bit of gass and blööö, soaked again.

the needles are stock settings
all gaskets are new and nice
all bolts are nice and tight
theres good compression from the motor
the plugg is new ( i have tried several new )
the fuel is good also ( my friend runs it in hes )

can anyone please :helpsmilie: ?
this beats both me and my friend, and hes had fg's for about 2 years.

i might aswell buy an electric 1/10:eek:

/ frustrated Gus

No,No,No, No electric.:)

It sound as though you have no exhaust on it.
Try reinstalling the stock can (exhaust) on the head, sometimes with different pipes and none at all it can throw the fuel needs or needle settings way off and make it hard to start.

After flooding take the spark out flip it over and pull several times this will get the excess out of the cylinder.

Last edited:
okie you brought me hopes back up, ill give it another try in the morning, as its 00.40 in sweden now, or 12.40Pm or what ever you guys say:)
but honestly, if this doesn't work i have no idea at all what to do. maybe i need to save up for a few month's and buy a new engine from ddm

What is strange is that it ran when you took it off and somewhere when you put it on something went wrong. Is that when you took the head off to check the piston and head when you installed it and it would not start?
I feel your frustration............

the motor has never ran in my truck, but in my friends truck and on the bench witout carb and pipe with just a mist of starter spray.

btw we also put in a new pistonring today.

so this is it.

new plug
new pistonring
good compresion in the motor
carb needles are 1,5 out on the HSN and 1.25 out on the LSN
good fuel
the flywheel and coil is set
and a hand full with blisters..

tomorrow il put the pipe back on and see if it will start "sight"

the reson i took it of was because i needed to make sure the engine wasnt soaked and the outlet was a nice way to get some compressed air in there.

anyways lets see what happens tomorrow, now i need to get some shuteye

goodnight and wish me luck tomorrow,
ill keep you posted

/Gus

it started for about 2 secs then it got soaked again when i try to give a ill gass, my bet is that its still soaked somehow, but what the heck do i know :)

anyways im letting it dry up abit again befor i give it s new go. i have a few more blisters that need rest too

back with more info later.

/ Gus

I know what that is and i'm 10000000,00000000% sure it's your piston ring!!!!!!!!!! Put yourself a new ring in her and i bet you it will fire up trust me on this one !!! Just take your time put the head back on over the ring!!!! This is what happened to my mates car!!!!

I know what that is and I'm 10000000,00000000% sure it's your piston ring!!!!!!!!!! Put yourself a new ring in her and i bet you it will fire up trust me on this one !!! Just take your time put the head back on over the ring!!!! This is what happened to my mates car!!!!

btw we also put in a new pistonring today.

We thought that 2 he just replaced it.:)

This is not making much sense but I do remember someone with a on road truck having one heck of a time getting it running the 1st time from new, then boom it worked with no reason?:(

When you installed the ring you did make sure the ring was fitted on both sides of the piston pin and the piston was pointed the right way? If so,

Maybe try running your low (L) needle all the way in and only one turn out and retry.
The choke is working right and is off? And you have a real bright spark from the plug like this:
http://media.putfile.com/Switch-13-67
Any photos of your set up we can see, the others you where right, very hard to see.:)
If you reused the head gasket it may be leaking. If you used a new one forget the next sentence but if not try using some copper gasket sealer, you can always order a new one if all works later.

Last edited:
He might of replaced a ring but who said that one ain't shafted? it's easy done! Something ain't right with her you need to get the head to slip over the piston ring with no effort what so ever ! If, it was tight it could be the ring once again gone ? everything you have tried and what it is doing now is EXACTLY the same as my mates engine and that was a brand new ZENOAH head and piston kit! We got that to run without a pipe and nothing it wanted to start but wouldn't changed carbs/and carb settings and still nothing,changed the new piston ring for another new ring and she fired right away!

I know what that is and i'm 10000000,00000000% sure it's your piston ring!!!!!!!!!! Put yourself a new ring in her and i bet you it will fire up trust me on this one !!! Just take your time put the head back on over the ring!!!! This is what happened to my mates car!!!!

i hope your right cause im ordering a new one now then. will probably take a few days to get it to sweden though

thnx and i hope your right!!!

Ya, doesn't seem right to go on easy I had some time on mine till it slipped on. That seems to be the only obvious item it could be.
Good luck Gus, hope the new ring does the trick! (Fingers crossed again):)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks