My review of the Walbro 813

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip

I bought a Walbro 813 from the local hobby shop the other day for $49.99 and I decided to give it a review.

Mutilatorcarbswap002.jpg

If this is your first time hearing about or seeing an 813 you may be asking hey, there's no choke arm on that carb. Well that's right, it doesn't have one because it doesn't need one. It has an accelerator pump inside the carb body that shoots fuel into the intake for an extra boost in performance. It's supposed to help with the low end bog that the stock 668 cab has. Now you may ask, well then how do you start it without a choke? Instead of choking the carb on start-up, you just hit the throttle on your controller and it squirts in some fuel for easy start-up. Dual function. Cool huh?

This carburetor is considered as an upgrade for more performance. Does it live up to the hype? Read on and find out.

I installed this on a HobbyPro Mutilator 6 with a CY (Chung Yeng) 23cc with an X-can twin stinger.
Mutilatorcarbswap036.jpg
NewCamera596.jpg

Here is a tutorial of the install procedure. https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=11080 The install is the same as any other carb.

A few days ago I plugged the choke hole up with clear marine-grade silicone. I forgot to show that in the tutorial, but I can explain it later if need be.

All installed and ready for the first start-up, here we go...

First impression.
Start-up is easier now. It starts on the first pull instead of the third like it did with the previous carb. You do have to pump the gas to squirt some fuel into the intake though.

Prime, pump and pull, Voila it's running.

Once it fired up it was a little sluggish, so I ran the car around to warm it up. After all it was 15 degrees F outside. Once it was warmed up I did my foolproof method of carb tuning:

I stuck my boot under the back-end to get the tires off the ground and rapped her up to full throttle, it was a little rich on the high end so I turned in the needle until it was just a screamin'. Once it hit maximum rpm and didn't increase, I backed out the H.S needle about an 1/8 and called it good. Mid was strong and very responsive. I turned in the L.S needle to get a nice snappy takeoff and adjusted the throttle stop screw for a nice smooth idle. That's all I did to tune it, it took about 20 seconds for a nice smooth tune. That's it, nothing special.

I don't know why it took me so long to decide to make the change, I guess I was worried about a tuning nightmare, but boy was I wrong! This 813 really woke up this 23.

Some people say these carbs are made for the larger 28-31cc motors and others say the 813 is for the 23-26cc motors, but I can tell you from this experience, this little 23 rips better than it ever did with the stock (668) carb. The low end was almost breathtaking considering what little I did to achieve the result. I've never seen this buggy pull the front wheels in the grass before, now it does it quite often as long as it isn't spinning and destroying my lawn.

I know there a lot of people out there that say the 813 carbs are impossible to tune. I can say, tuning this was simple. If you can tune the stock 668 you can tune the 813. If you find tuning the 668 is a pain, well you may not be ready for the 813. Though, if you follow the aforementioned tuning method, any carb is a breeze to tune. I don't tune by temperature or plug color, I tune by ear. So please don't ask me what my needles are set at because it doesn't matter. No two motors are the same and no two carbs are the same, so therefore my needle settings will not be the same for you, plus there is ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc... These all make a difference in tuning.

In conclusion:
I give it a 9.5 out of a 10, why not a 10? Well nothing is ever perfect, but this was the about the best 50 bucks I have spent on this buggy.

What do you think?

Trip..

Last edited by a moderator:
nice review Trip. I think your tuning by ear comes from experience and those without that knowledge should follow the tuning guide in the engine section and check their plug colour to save a lean seize motor!
I also read somewhere on here that the 813 may not suit if you constantly blip the throttle whilst running (some do some don't) cos it can flood the engine? What are your thoughts on that?

I tried the throttle-blip action earlier today, just to see what would happen. I can honestly tell you, I had no such issues with loading up. Even if I drove around like a tool and hit full throttle and off about 2 times per second, I still didn't have any issues. I have seen some 'tube vids of guys driving these like they were nitro-powered, you don't have to pump the throttle guys, but if you do, even with this carb, you'll be OK.

I could see cold starts being a bit of a problem if you are unfamiliar with your motor. If you are checking the throw on your throttle servo a BUNCH of times I could see it flooding. If you have some sence and are familiar with your motors starting and running tendencies, I think this would make for an excellent upgrade. Just have to remember to check the throttle action only a few times before start-up, don't hit the gas too many times until it's running.

I understand what you are saying about the tuning procedure I use, but I can assure you it is very simple. Start rich and lean it until the revs don't get any higher, then back it off 1/8 turn.

I certainly do agree with the plug appearance. Of course, pull the plug and look at it after the tuning session and make sure it isn't white and chalky. All I was getting at is I don't spend all my days chasing after that perfect golden brown insulator. My plugs have always had a dark brown color, but the motors run reliably, perform well and the motors last for gallons and gallons of fuel. (25 in my MT and 15 in this CY.)

I think that's what is important to the majority of us. I know there are some extremely talented engine tuners out there that would get a chuckle out of my tuning method, because it doesn't extract that extra 100 rpm or that last little bit of power, but I tune my engines once a year or maybe twice if I run in the snow. Tune it for perfection and you'll be chasing a tune constantly! That's why a lot of us got out of nitro is because of the constant tuning, oh the sun went behind a cloud, I have to richen the hs 1/16 turn... Oh the the sun came back out, do it again... Phooey I say!

I know what you mean about the perfect tune. My plug is black cos too rich but it runs well so i leave it as it is!

I bought a 28.5 kit and a 813 to go with it to make a motor to replace my kids KM23. Couldn't pass up a DDM deal.:blush: Hope it works as good as yours. I was scared after reading all the stuff on the 813 but thought I mine as well get some experience with it so I can say ya or nah myself. Great review, good to see someone with some time to enjoy there hobby. I cant get enough time in the day. And I even redesigned the craft room and everything! :mad:

I know there are about a 100 written ways to tune a carb, but try the simple rev and adjust method and I bet you won't go back to driving for 10 feet and hitting the kill switch method anymore.

I hate chasing needles so I came up with this method and I've never had a problem. Quick, fast and easy, just like my temper :lol:

I have little time to play anymore, but I am on vacation until the 30th so I had the chance to play a bit during one of Anna's naps.

I hope your GP290 head works better than mine, I hate mine. I am going back to the Zen 26. The 813 is great though.

Good luck finding time to play... BTW, how's the snow over there? You saw my Mutilator vid, so you see what I have... Nada!

good review, makes a lots of sense. I use that tune method as well, because I hate chasing the perfect tune (My nitro only got used 5 times before I went to largescale)

another good guide trip was never to bothered about the 813 as ive got a 771 which is the same minus the fuel pump bit and works well on my 23cc oddified but its getting on a bit a due for rebuild/replacement mine is a pig to start though and best way ive found is remove the air filter and plug intake with figer till it fires not realy a problem as its held on by a jubile clip but i will now be changing mine for the 813.i have allways tuned mine the same way as you by ear and never had a problem i think most people have trouble because they are not shy when turning the tuning screws little adjustments is the only way

The only problem I have, as a former musician .... tis true but part-time is that I have a DDM Dominator - TOO 'KIN' LOUD !!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

(Time to find those ear plugs from the Monster Jam in Cardiff last year :D)

Al.

So put a decent pipe on it then you hillbilly! I'm sure the neighbors love your fart pipe too! :lol: I guess I can't say too much, this Sex-Can is pretty friggin loud too, much louder than my J/P silenced.

What tires do you have on your MT? My stock tires are so damn stiff, I couldn't blow them up if I tried.

No worries Trip.
The neighbours one side of me say there's no problem, and on the other side, he has 4 off-road motorbikes - 'nough said !!

I leave a 'window' for blasting around, between 10:30 - 16:30 ish, depending on conditions, but it also makes using my 'pet nitro MT' easier, as it's QUIETER !!!
A LST2 with a tuned pipe - that 'N' word, but I love the truck !!

Al.

I went out in the unheated garage to do a cold start of the buggy. I had to pump a few times, but it fired with no problems.

Vids are slowly uploading to YouTube ATM, but when they are up, I'll put them up here.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks