Need Help / Easier way to Change Clutch Spring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfrederi

I have clutch springs that break occasionally and I end up buying a whole clutch kit with the spring already installed because i dnt want to go thru the hassle of having to install the stiff spring. I know theres a couple videos out there that are supposedly "easy way" to install the spring but it has not worked for me. Or Im doing something wrong.

Can anyone provide any tips on how to install these springs where i dnt have to spend days trying to get it in there?? Or where i dnt have to try hammering them in to get the spring on the clutch to line up properly?? It would be agreast help!!!

Thanks

I have clutch springs that break occasionally and I end up buying a whole clutch kit with the spring already installed because i dnt want to go thru the hassle of having to install the stiff spring. I know theres a couple videos out there that are supposedly "easy way" to install the spring but it has not worked for me. Or Im doing something wrong.

Can anyone provide any tips on how to install these springs where i dnt have to spend days trying to get it in there?? Or where i dnt have to try hammering them in to get the spring on the clutch to line up properly?? It would be agreast help!!!

Thanks
You can use a vice or some big ass channel lock pliers. When your doing so make sure you keep it lined up (both the clutch shoes) so it doesn't fly apart. I use a vice becuase it's so much easier.

Thansks Guys appreciate the info.yeah ive seen that video before. Only thing missing is how to get the spring in and lined up. thats proving to be very difficult for me or im missing something.

Do you guys alter or bend the spring in anyway to make it work?? Because i cant get the spring in with both clutch pieces lined up.

Thansks Guys appreciate the info.yeah ive seen that video before. Only thing missing is how to get the spring in and lined up. thats proving to be very difficult for me or im missing something.

Do you guys alter or bend the spring in anyway to make it work?? Because i cant get the spring in with both clutch pieces lined up.
No bending. I ll make a vid for you on how I do it

How about these tiny clutch shoes & springs!.....LOL....My Hyper 21 with racer edge aluminum shoes!
I stick a small allen wrench in through the shoe hole to hold the tiny spring in the shoe on to the
fly wheel post ,an at the same time ,pry the spring over the clutch nut groove ,it is tough!....:cool:

Last edited:
Hope this helps ???

Definitely appreciate it Z.hb71 !!
Your spring must be real loose because none of my springs are that loose to where i can just pop them in like that. I have the 8K springs and getting the end hooks in are a pain the a$$. But I definitely appreciate the video man THANKS!!!

How about these tiny clutch shoes & springs!.....LOL....My Hyper 21 with racer edge aluminum shoes!
I stick a small allen wrench in through the shoe hole to hold the tiny spring in the shoe on to the
fly wheel post ,an at the same time ,pry the spring over the clutch nut groove ,it is tough!....:cool:

Gotta have the right tool for the job...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190913-153037_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190913-153037_Chrome.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 7
Definitely appreciate it Z.hb71 !!
Your spring must be real loose because none of my springs are that loose to where i can just pop them in like that. I have the 8K springs and getting the end hooks in are a pain the a$$. But I definitely appreciate the video man THANKS!!!
no problem!!!!

man i hated nitro clutches!! such a pita without the right tool which @ the time i had no idea that a proper tool was made

This thing is still a pain in the a$$. I just ordered one already assembled. Those freekin springs are difficult to work with. Some of the videos im seeing with guys just simply popping the spring in and the out and using channel locks is surprising to me. The channel lock part i get. Its the part to get the spring in im still wondering about. Either the springs they are using are already stretched somehow or theyre pulling a magic trick on me LOL. To have the clutch shoes in the position (lined up in S shape postion) to get the spring in where theyre popping the spring in is dmn near impossible for me. Added to that the spring end tips are not shaped and have aenough space to easily fit into the hole in the clutch shoes. I tried bending them which is also difficult. Ive order a new one but ill try messing with the ones i have maybe ill get lucky.

Thanks

Lol, man your going to laugh at ur self in the future ones you figure out how easy it is to put a clutch together!

And throughout the years I’ve ordered my fair share of clutches and they have always arrived disassembled...

I’ve never used any special tools to assemble a clutch either
Just line everything up and give it sorta a Lil tug & twist and both sides click into place.

So Ive been out for a lil while but back on the topic basically what I determined is that not all springs are made the same. I shouldve took pics before i installed the spring I had but i compared the springs and noticed that the hooks on the ends of the springs vary from spring to spring and brand to brand. I happened to have one that has a more open hook and shape that basically just fell right into place and i used a pair of channel locks as described. BUT the other spring the end hooks are F$@%d. Theres no room to work with and its damn near impossible to bend it out. I wish i remembered where i purchased that specific spring from because theres definitely a difference.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks