Need help with kraken tsk-b baja! 5th scale newbie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionisi

So i bought the the hpi baja new with the kraken cage and have a few questions for those that have experience. I swapped the fuelie 26 for a zenoah g320 and replaced the stock carb with the walbro 990 without choke.

First question is do i need that thick gasket for the carb. I think it says its spacing for the choke clearance. Second hiccup im having is pipe fitment.

So far i have the rear dominator v2. that i know fits but i just got the victory big bore side as it supposedly is better paired with the g320 but so far just mocking it up it doesn't seem to fit.

Im confused as to which pipes fit the kraken cage. Seen guys on youtube run that pipe but i know the kraken has more than one type, the one that comes in the rtr and another one. Kind of dissapointing. Also one last thing is it normal for the clutch bell to have some back and forth play?

But those are my two main issues so far with this light "build". Got a bunch more stuff for it and otherwise still coming along ok.

Last edited:
So i bought the the hpi baja new with the kraken cage and have a few questions for those that have experience. I swapped the fuelie 26 for a zenoah g320 and replaced the stock carb with the walbro 990 without choke.

First question is do i need that thick gasket for the carb. I think it says its spacing for the choke clearance. Second hiccup im having is pipe fitment.

So far i have the rear dominator v2. that i know fits but i just got the victory big bore side as it supposedly is better paired with the g320 but so far just mocking it up it doesn't seem to fit.

Im confused as to which pipes fit the kraken cage. Seen guys on youtube run that pipe but i know the kraken has more than one type, the one that comes in the rtr and another one. Kind of dissapointing. Also one last thing is it normal for the clutch bell to have some back and forth play?

But those are my two main issues so far with this light "build". Got a bunch more stuff for it and otherwise still coming along ok.

That spacer is your intake manifold and yes you need that but I'd upgrade it to the rb innovations cooling intake manifold for the g320 cuz it's just miles better and won't crack. Also what kraken cage do you have? Could you send me a picture of it? Cuz there's two different kraken cages

I think i bought a 200 dollar mistake, oh well. When i close up on the cages online, i believe they have the class 1 cage that is purchased separately before this one came out from hpi out of the factory which is the tsk version.

But again when i get a close up of the mounting location by the pipe there is like a plastic railing where mine just has the chassis. Real bummer if kraken made the newer version that is more of a pain to gets pipes to fit. I have this dominator which i know fits already perfectly but i hear its not as good as the victory especially with the g320.

Attachments

• 20180914_213241.jpg
    20180914_213241.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
I think i bought a 200 dollar mistake, oh well. When i close up on the cages online, i believe they have the class 1 cage that is purchased separately before this one came out from hpi out of the factory which is the tsk version.

But again when i get a close up of the mounting location by the pipe there is like a plastic railing where mine just has the chassis. Real bummer if kraken made the newer version that is more of a pain to gets pipes to fit. I have this dominator which i know fits already perfectly but i hear its not as good as the victory especially with the g320.

DAMN!! that's a sick cage!!! Here's the pipes that will fit that cage

• DDM Dominator fast pipe (rear)
  • CPI Racing tuned pipe (rear)
  • CPI Racing tuned pipe big bore (rear)
  • CPI Racing Tuned BIG BORE Pipe for HPI Baja 5SC (rear)
  • HPI Racing rear tuned pipe
  • Stock Can Muffler
  • GBE Hornet (rear)
  • VRC Pro Side Pipe - Side Pipe Bracket for VRC Pro Side Pipes is required (KRC70008)/ DDM part #fd214.

i would go for the "big bore" pipes because that will probably be best for your g320. Also yes it's normal for the Clutch Bell to have alittle play.

Ah man thanks, should have done my research before jumping the gun. Well someone will grab this cheap on ebay.

Thanks yea that wrap took me around 3 hours to put on. don't know if was just inexperience or im just really slow and thourough but man it was fun in the beggining with the hairdrier and soapy spray/readjusting got so tiresome after a while, im just glad its done.

Well ill look into those pipes and looks like another big box from ddm, youch. Still have to install the superbee killswitch.

Ah man thanks, should have done my research before jumping the gun. Well someone will grab this cheap on ebay.

Thanks yea that wrap took me around 3 hours to put on. don't know if was just inexperience or im just really slow and thourough but man it was fun in the beggining with the hairdrier and soapy spray/readjusting got so tiresome after a while, im just glad its done.

Well ill look into those pipes and looks like another big box from ddm, youch. Still have to install the superbee killswitch.

Imo that wrap was worth it!! If I wasn't building my 70cc for my Baja (thread here https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/custom-70cc-engine-build.22765 lol self plug) I think I would buy that pipe but now I have nothing to put it on so I can't.

Wow, gotta see that when its done. New to the 5th scale game and its a new world. Ive covered all the other bases. Electric, nitro, boats, planes drones etc. If i didnt have my hands full i could my focus on my first 5th a bit more.

At first i was planning on a twin baja but im glad i didnt as i can barely handle learning just installing a "simple" zenoah. So much to figure out before its maiden run, far cry from alot of my other rigs. Fuel type 25:1? 28:1? Pipe fitments, good tune etc. don't want to smoke my first engine too soon.

Also lots of info and posts on baja stuff is like years old. I know the baja is ancient but hard to find answers. The main reason i didnt go with a vekta or losi as awesome as they look is im just not impressed with say a g320 is in those, i feel they are underpowered for that size and 4wd just needs more power.

Wow, gotta see that when its done. New to the 5th scale game and its a new world. Ive covered all the other bases. Electric, nitro, boats, planes drones etc. If i didnt have my hands full i could my focus on my first 5th a bit more.

At first i was planning on a twin baja but im glad i didnt as i can barely handle learning just installing a "simple" zenoah. So much to figure out before its maiden run, far cry from alot of my other rigs. Fuel type 25:1? 28:1? Pipe fitments, good tune etc. don't want to smoke my first engine too soon.

Also lots of info and posts on baja stuff is like years old. I know the baja is ancient but hard to find answers. The main reason i didnt go with a vekta or losi as awesome as they look is im just not impressed with say a g320 is in those, i feel they are underpowered for that size and 4wd just needs more power.
Yup I 100 percent agree with you, it seems like a losi or a vekta needs a big motor to actually be fast. Also I. Can't wait to see my motor runing for the first time!! Good luck with you truck and engine!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks