Nutech GT5-R Mustang Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making some progress, got the tank repaired and the radio / receiver / battery all installed an d working. I'm waiting on my gasket that goes between the carb and the engine. I'm cleaning and inspecting the brakes now.

Oh, I took a few shots of the wheels too. Let me know if you have ideas on some better ones.

1584482294637.png
1584482317927.png
1584482374248.png
1584482404164.png

Thanks! found them on hobby heros. They look really nice, I like the black wheels. I will go with Extra Soft and try them out.

You can get the adapter, I have them on my Tamco (FS) which had 8mm axles with 20mm square drive, the adapters replace the square in place of the 24mm hex and then use the nut to hold in place and 2 grub screws onto the flats of the axles. Think I paid approx £25 for mine off Ebay.

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. I like the Grp options and it sounds like there are many others like fg and fs. I'm not sure I need the adapters. I did a quick search and I didn't find any hex to 24mm wheel adapter. what do they look like?

@ Striikar - no they are cheap plastic wheels and the tires are hard as cement.

There are plenty of wheels you can use. It's a square hub.
You can get adapters - if you want to use HPI etc wheels(24mm Hex hub).
I have some but might use on my leopard.
There are a lot if places to get tires. Ill list some later,if needed.

FG Supply

EBay search:
grp 1/5 tires
1/5 fg wheels tires

Last edited:
I'm making good progress on this restore / cleanup effort. New rear shocks are installed and fixing a bunch of little things along the way. I've been searching and ordering a bunch of small items. Davesmotors has been a great resource with lots of stuff in stock. BTW, the stock shocks seem to have lost all of the oil, which is why there were useless. The new shocks a big upgrade.

I do have a couple more questions for my pals in this thread.

Is this bar that runs across the back supposed to really limit the suspension travel? Even with no rear shocks, there is very little movement up and down on the lower A arm. Perhaps because the car is so heavy. I seems like it's too stiff and the rear should have a little more travel than it does.

1584847645786.png

The rear brake does not seem to work. I can apply full pressure to the lever, yet the rear wheels still turn fairly easy. I have not taken that stuff apart, as I'm eager to just get this running first. After searching a bunch for FS EVO and other brands, I'm not finding any replacement parts that would fix that. I assume there is a disc inside that needs to be replaced. Looking at rc-car-online FS EVO has a diagram, but I'm able to figure out what part I should replace to fix the rear brakes. I would actually prefer to convert the rear to disc too, at some point. The front brakes work, so it's not the end of the world.

The other challenge I'm running into is replacing the front shocks. The bottom mount is super easy, but I'm looking at the top mount, I do not see a easy way to remove the front shocks top mount. It almost looks like the entire front end must come apart to replace them. Again, I'd prefer to avoid taking all that crap apart if there is a easier way. Searching the internet, I didn't find any videos that helpful. Even the FG EVO 2008 is so old, not much out there. If you guys happen to know how this comes apart for a quick shock replacement, I'd be very grateful for your advice. :)

1584847892343.png
1584847927843.png

Thanks!

1: Swaybar limits side to side motion. Some like it some don't.
Test and decide if you like. If you want looser rear in car take off but I would test first. A lot of people say leave off. Only you'll know what you prefer handling wise. This a simple explanation.
It can be complex topic.

Brakes - show me some pictures.

Shocks:
Undue the grub set screws in both ends and on shaft,it should slide out.

Attachments

• SetScrews1.jpg
    SetScrews1.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 4
  • GT5R.jpg
    GT5R.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 4
Made some good progress today. With the dam virus poop going on and we can't really go anywhere, I get time to work on hobby stuff :)

The two outside holes that you circled did not have set screens. i had to take the top of the front end off and remove the upper section, which the shocks were attached to. Once out, the two haves separate. It took a bit, but I got the new front shocks installed and they too are so much better. it sure is nice that they come with oil already in them, ready to install. Thanks again for suggestions those Striikar!
1584923774145.png
1584923873880.png

I got the front all cleaned up and the front brakes dialed in, they work awesome. Pic of rear and front end.
1584924778283.png
1584924809679.png
1584924844446.png
Here is a pic of the rear brake setup. it doesn't matter how much pressure I put on the lever, the rear wheels turn freely, so something is not right there.
1584923953526.png
1584924126306.png

With the front brakes working good, I'm not going delay getting this car running. That said, it would be nice to get the parts on order to fix the rear brakes, if I can figure out what to buy without tearing it apart.

Gasket for the carb came in so that will be installed tomorrow, along with the air filter. It should be ready for a test run very soon. :)
1584924980139.png

Enough for today. Time to enjoy Vodka and 7up :)
1584925722530.png

Attachments

• 1584923991881.png
    1584923991881.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Great work,I'm glad it's coming along nicely.
Ok gear brake,you probably need new pads. I'm going to look at some brake setups I have from new car/drivetrain parts I never used. I'm pretty sure a have spares since I have hydraulic brakes.
I'm working my new build also,getting there with setbacks and lots of ddm orders.
Check out my build page. I started this from scratch,so you have an idea why I know so much.?

Thank you for your support and for checking about your spare parts for me. That is super awesome!

I want to learn more about hydraulic brakes, but that can be a future lesson LOL

I would love to see your Build Page. I went to your profile, but I didn't see a link. Link or PM me please.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also purchased the Killer Super Bill kill switch setup, so I can remotely kill the engine. Have you used that on any of your cars? Having to take the body off and hit the button is lame, so I hope this solution works well.

Cheers my friend!

This what you probably need. Check it carefully but I think it should work for original type setup. It's the whole new brake setup/ replacement for stock brakes.
There are upgraded brakes but I need sleep now.

FG 07497 Rear Brake 97 for 1:5/1:6:
http://www.davesmotors.com/fg-07497-rear-brake-97-for-1_5-1_6.html

These might be of help to get the gist of how things go together.
IT's what your car was copied from,so a lot is usable. The pics and illustrations should definitely help. The sportsline has rear gear brake diagram exploded view(3rd page view).
Cheers?
MORE INFO-

Brake info + instructions

This is a brake guide for you.
it's a PDF file,so DL it.
----------------- --------- --------- --------
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3jBND-win-umIg-gMIl_6X
---------'-'------------------------------------
DDM Brakeparts +related:
http://www.davesmotors.com/Products/fg-Brakes/

Attachments

• frontbrake.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • sportsline.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • fg-modellsport-competition-ev-04-manual (1).pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Pex,

Does yoir brake look like this. This is from a new drivetrain I didn't use. See the screws that hit the brake backing to push pads and engage the brake.
You probably need some or all these. First check the 2 screws on the shaft is making contact with backing plate when you rotate the brake shaft.
You might just need to replace those 2 screws with longer ones. The used ones are probably worn down or missing.

Attachments

• Brakes3.jpg
    Brakes3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Brakes2.jpg
    Brakes2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Brakes1.jpg
    Brakes1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 6
First, thank you for your other post, diagrams and link to brake kit! The pics do help and I think you are correct about that kit being what I need, so I ordered it. Thank you!

I haven't taken my rear brake apart yet, as I want to run it at least once before I tear into fixing the rear brake. I'll know more once I tear it down, but I can say the drawing you provided in the other post look very similar to mine. It could be that either the brake disc is worn, or it could be the set screws are not tight enough. The front brakes were not set correctly, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the rear was not right too. Either way, I ordered the kit so I have some spare parts. Once I take it apart, I'll compare to your pics, and take some of my own.

One question for you about the Super Bee Kill switch. This car already has a kill switch, so will I need to swap out the stock kill switch for the Super Bee switch? I'm assuming I will ,but given you have done lots of testing in this space, i thought I would ask. :)

I do not feel good about running this big ass car without having a remote engine kill option.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks