Nutech GT5-R Mustang Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had me curious, so zoomed in and took two more pics. I can see the screws that might need to be tightened, but it needs to be removed to get to that stuff.

1585014506539.png

In this next pic, you can see the dirt and gunk build up, so no wounder why brake doesn't work.

1585014586445.png

It kind of looks like it has two disc with 3 brake pads squeezing them together, and with something in the middle of the two brake discs

"It kind of looks like it has two disc with 3 brake pads squeezing them together, and with something in the middle of the two brake discs"

That is correct.?
If you look at the pictures I took,it's the same.
Kill switch you can try the one that's there and if no joy replace with killer bee. What remote are you going to use?. That can make a difference on which ks to use as they can be finicky.
I literally feel like I'm doing 2 builds?, yours and mine.
Brake Kit should fix what's wrong,these big suckers need all the help you can get to stop so be sure to fix that asap.??

LOL, you are so funny! For rear brake, I will clean and replace with the kit I ordered, as you recommended.

For kill switch, I ordered the Super Bee killer switch kit, which comes with the switch and everything. My only question was about having to swap the stock button with the the one included in the Super Bee kit.

I got the carb and air filter housing installed today, I should be ready to start and have a test run in the next few days :)

Your build looks awesome, btw

Making progress. The kill switch replacement is done. The old tank is repaired, although I think I will just find another tank altogether, later however. There is lots of room for a different tank that isn't so close to the spark plug and lots of room to be taller. What is killing me is that every time I take something apart, I find stuff needing repairs or replacements. My car has been in several crashes. I wish I had spent the extra $400 - $600. and just purchased a new on-road car, but too late for that now. That said, slow but sure.....
1585448735359.png

I will need a larger receiver / battery box. With Super Bee crap and the upgraded battery, the stock box is too small. I took some measurements of what I think will work good, if I can find one. a box that is 80mm x 90mm and around 70mm high would work good. I'm researching that now, but if you know of a good receiver box around that size, please let me know. I can go longer with 80mm x 95mm long, but it would need the corner indent like my existing one for the steering linkage, or I could cut the steering linkage arm.
1585448916666.png

Also, any idea what this dangling ring thing on my brake rod? I was just planning to remove it, but I'm curious what the heck it is and why it is there.

1585449016734.png

i'm very close to a first test run :}

Welcome to how a lot of us started. Our eagerness got the best of us and rationale left the building. These are the lessons you learn and remember next vehicle you see and want.?

They came with external battery boxes like FGs have,I think.
I'm at that stage I was fitting battery tray,so you lucked out.
I have orig setup but I like this better as matches the carbon fiber.

Battery Tray - Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402123813486

This should work for mounting batt tray onto.
http://www.davesmotors.com/fg-07407-01-cfrp-brace-for-silencer.html

Attach c.f. brace to the side posts and attach tray to it.
I'm sure you'll figure it out.?

Don't know what the clip was used for by former owner.?

Attachments

• FG Battery setup1.jpg
    FG Battery setup1.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 6
  • FG BATT7.jpg
    FG BATT7.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 6
  • FG BATT 2.jpg
    FG BATT 2.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FG BATT6.jpg
    FG BATT6.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 6
  • FG BATT3.jpg
    FG BATT3.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 6
  • FG BATT4.jpg
    FG BATT4.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, I ordered the one from ebay, like yours. That will work perfect and free up the receiver box for the kill switch stuff. I really like the carbon fiber look.

Next time I want another car, I will just spend the extra $$ and buy new, lesson learned ?

Just look at all the experience you've gained.?
Maintaining whatever you decide will be a lot easier now you some experience behind you.
New cars always have stuff that needs improvements also.?
When another project car shows up,you can evaluate better if it's something worth your time and cost. You still can find good deals,you just have to have a little experience behind you.
You have gained a lot of that.?
Cheers??

Thanks again for all of your help! (y) It's true, I know a lot more than I did when I started this project.

My test run will be delayed. I was hearing a noise when I spun the right front wheel, and noticed the wheel was moving as it spun. It looks like the front axle or barrings are bad, again this car was in a high speed front end crash at some point. I found the barrings on ddm, but the axles are only available in Europe. They cost nothing at 6.50 euros, but shipping is stupid high at 50 euros. I'll likely need to wait until fg is back up and running and ddm gets them in stock, after this virus crap is over.
1585510189598.png
BTW, do you have a trick to get the front wheel barrings out of the steering column? They seem stuck.

1585510641949.png

Honestly I'm concerned because ddm has been slowly reducing stock. I've waited for quite awhile for parts that were never restocked and ended up buying from another country.
There are several places to get parts outside USA but only if last resort because of shipping.
I think this your best bet because they own fg now and this is directly from them. It'll be a few weeks but you'll at least know it's coming.
A few times items arrived much faster then I expected.

It's 24.20 or best offer+ free shipping.
FG EVO 2020 1:5 2WD Touring 06104/05 Wheel Axles Front (2) M8 FT8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192845613348

I had to buy stuff from 5 different countries. Trust me I know the shipping pain. It was pay or stop projects.

Heat helps remove stuck parts.
If replacing bearing then, anyway you can. A screwdriver and pry it out or hammer on inside of bearing,just be careful not to damage surface.

If I find any I'll let you know. I just remembered a guy local I bought parts from as he has a freaking ton of fg stuff. He was a team racer. I can't gaurantee he'll have any,so don't wait on me.
I don't know if I can reach him in this current state of affairs.

PS: Your car is coming along nicely?. You can still start it to test out engine.?
And lastly,there's always setback with parts etc. It's just part of learning curve.?

Awesome, thank you! I just ordered the ones from ebay. So are you meaning that tele-world-eq (where I just ordered the axles) now owns FG?

Way cool that you have a local guy who might have parts. The way my project is going, I'll likely need more lol

Thanks for the tip on getting the old barrings out. Ya, I decided that if I'm replacing the axle, might as well replace the barrings.

I exchanged emails with ddm and he told me that he can't get FG parts right now due to they are shutdown until the virus stuff is over. He said that he would be placing a order with them as soon as they are back. So there is some hope.

Again, many thanks!

ok, old barrings being difficult. Anyone know where I can find one of these tools, Turnigy V2 Bearing fitting/Removal Tool For 3-15mm Bore
1585706503184.png

I've tried searching and the entire planet is out of stock WTF?

Thanks, good to know.

I tried a hair dryer and no luck. I now have a heat gun, which should get much hotter. I will try that later today.

Thanks!

Heat gun worked great, they fell right out. Thanks for the advice re heating them up. ?

New brake pads, discs, barrings all installed. Just waiting for the new axles and the front end is all rebuilt. I also got the kill switch installed and side battery tray. Thanks again for the links and advice, that worked perfect!

Engine is ready to start, cleaned carb, installed new air filters. I'm getting close to a full test run.

I think my servos are jacked up from a previous crash, they are very loud like gears grinding. They still work, but I'll be replacing those soon.

I'll post some new pics once I get the front end back together.
I just remembered a guy local I bought parts from as he has a freaking ton of fg stuff. He was a team racer. I can't gaurantee he'll have any,so don't wait on me.
I don't know if I can reach him in this current state of affairs.

Hello Striikar - Were you able to reach your local guy? If yes, can you see if he has the fg07407/01? I purchased 2 from Dave's, but now he is out. I want 2 more for my Baja 5R car.

Thanks!

Last edited:
No I haven't but you can just use a strip of aluminum. I'll look for it. Also I found a mustang body but not the one you wanted.
Take a look at this one from same company and the one currently being used on new cars. I think nutech sold off most of their bodies to to fg parts suppliers.

Yellow Mustang body:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/142942131537

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143371660656

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks