DBXL 2.0 New DBXL-E 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windays

Just broke down and bought one and so far I love it. Handles much better through turns than my Outcast 8s and doesn't want to roll as easily. Still love the Outcast for just jumping around but this drives much much better across open ground. It has a good speed but it feels like it lacks a bit of torque to me. I've looked and thought about the Max4 route and going 12s but from the video's I've seen it almost looks like overkill. I'm not looking for endless wheelies but just a bit more grunt and maybe a slight increase in speed.

With that said, I was thinking about getting a TP 5870 in the 750-1180kv range and then maybe a Max5 or XLX2. Kind of curious what people's opinions are on the 8s vs 12s and if it's worth it on the DBXL-E.

Stock motor with 17T and max5.
Do you find that the stock motor gets a little hot after a run? I live in Florida and heat is always a concern for me especially in the summer. My first run out with it on the stock pinion and motor got pretty toasty. I didn't have my thermometer on me but guesstimate the 140-150's. Not bad but if I up the pinion to 17T might be too much for it in our heat.

Right now in summer time any car will get hit. You can always purchase fans for the motor from Amazon for $40 to keep the temp down. Castle 1100kv motor and xlx2 runs even hotter.

I have the V1 dbxl-e. Had it since it came out. Initially I ran it all stock. I had the same feeling about it as you do. I ended up putting a Max5 with a 800kv non sensored Castle. Ran that a few years and loved it. Wanted more power and used a Flier 16S capable ESC 12S with that same Castle motor. Wasn't a fan of the Flier. I gave it a year of usage. Recently bought a Max4 and paired it with a sensored 800kv Castle using 12S. What an animal is all I can say. Very pleased with it finally. So for normal usage with plenty of power. A max5 and 800kv will rip it very well. But 12S is always an option for the future when you want more power.

12S is for more efficiency, not just speed. Volts over amps....high volt, lower kv means less amps, less heat, longer run times

If you don't want anything too crazy, then a couple of options i suggest are..

For 8S - Max5 and leopard 58113 870kv
For 12S - Max4 and Leopard 58113 700kv

If I go 12s I was looking at the TP 5870 750kv and if I stay 8s I was going to get the 990kv
Hmm hard to work out what you want. You don't want "overkill" but the TP5870 has twice as much power than the stock motor, you will need to upgrade all diffs and diff housing to alloy, plus alloy centre diff mount. Obviously you want alot more speed, so i would be going 12S for sure

TP motors are amp hungry, the 990kv on 8S is a lipo killer thats for sure

The TP5860 would probably be a better option if you really want a TP motor, but don't under estimate the Leopard motors either. They're powerhouses and draw far less amps than TP motors

Hmm hard to work out what you want. You don't want "overkill" but the TP5870 has twice as much power than the stock motor, you will need to upgrade all diffs and diff housing to alloy, plus alloy centre diff mount. Obviously you want alot more speed, so i would be going 12S for sure

TP motors are amp hungry, the 990kv on 8S is a lipo killer thats for sure

The TP5860 would probably be a better option if you really want a TP motor, but don't under estimate the Leopard motors either. They're powerhouses and draw far less amps than TP motors
That's good to know. I've never used tp motors but heard good things. 5860 then might be a good option. Leopard motors on their website are like $999 which I can't tell if that's in Chinese currency or actual dollars. I'm not paying $999 for a motor though lol.

I wouldn't mind a little overkill but when I watched exocaged with his dbxle it was like constant wheelies. I just want good acceleration with good top speed.

That's good to know. I've never used tp motors but heard good things. 5860 then might be a good option. Leopard motors on their website are like $999 which I can't tell if that's in Chinese currency or actual dollars. I'm not paying $999 for a motor though lol.

I wouldn't mind a little overkill but when I watched exocaged with his dbxle it was like constant wheelies. I just want good acceleration with good top speed.
Leopard motors are cheaper than TP, what website are you looking at?
I buy from R-Mamba on ebay, he's the man when it comes to high power brushless
https://www.ebay.com.au/str/rmambabrushless?_trkparms=folent:rmambabrushless|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

Bro if you just want a bit more, then the Leopard BL5 (max5) and 1050kv combo will bring a smile to your face. Run it with the stock 13t pinion, you won't be disappointed that's for sure. It gives you an extra 9000rpm, and easily 25% more power over the stck motor. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265540525145?hash=item3dd372dc59:g:oXkAAOSwxC5iAuIE

Leopard motors are cheaper than TP, what website are you looking at?
I buy from R-Mamba on ebay, he's the man when it comes to high power brushless
https://www.ebay.com.au/str/rmambabrushless?_trkparms=folent:rmambabrushless|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

Bro if you just want a bit more, then the Leopard BL5 (max5) and 1050kv combo will bring a smile to your face. Run it with the stock 13t pinion, you won't be disappointed that's for sure. It gives you an extra 9000rpm, and easily 25% more power over the stck motor. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265540525145?hash=item3dd372dc59:g:oXkAAOSwxC5iAuIE
Unfortunately doesn't ship to the US. I've got some things to think about then. Thanks for the suggestions

Thats odd, Rmamba ships worldwide, most of his customers are in the US.

But since you're in the US, then RCJuice is the place for Leopard

BL5 1050kv combo with 13t pinion
BL5 870kv combo with 16t pinion

I double checked when I got home, say's he doesn't ship to the US. I think I'm going to go with the Max4 and a 12s motor. I ran it again today and my ESC isn't getting very hot but I checked the motor and it about burned my fingers off. Temp gun said 150 and that was after I had let it cool off some. I have some fans I just need to solder on some connectors but I was surprised how hot it was getting. I might actually get the Hobbywing motor that's paired with the max4. Still debating on the motor but definitely gonna get the Max4 I think.

The big HW 70125 wont break a sweat, mainly because its only 560kv, and like i was saying, high volt, low kv = less amps and heat.
The motor itself is heavy at nearly 2kg, and it will require a new motor mount.

I have the max4 and motor in my 5iveB, i plan on running 19/55 gearing which will be quick, with heaps of power, and im sure there will be no concerns about heat

I think I'm gonna stay 8s now. Mainly because I have no 6s batteries in the capacity I would need for 12s and it's a tad pricey compared to the stock of 4s batteries I have right now. I'm gonna go with an XLX2 and hopefully a TP motor. I think I'm going to get a TP 5870 1100kv and stay with the stock pinion for now. That should be plenty of speed and power. I may upgrade the diffs as well too if they can't handle it. I usually turn the punch down so I'm not too worried about the diffs but I'll replace/rebuild them if need be.

I've been looking for a receiver channel activated on/off switch so I can turn the lightbar off and on with my transmitter during the day. I'm not sure of a good one to buy.

I'm pretty sure you should have alloy diffs stock. The gas dbxl's had plastic diffs that were fought with issues, got dbxle diffs and home free. Just watch the housings and keep after diff bearings.

I'm pretty sure you should have alloy diffs stock. The gas dbxl's had plastic diffs that were fought with issues, got dbxle diffs and home free. Just watch the housings and keep after diff bearings.
Only the centre diff is alloy, front/rear are the same as the gasser

@Windays You will need to do something about the diffs for sure, there is a vid on youtube where a guy briefly mentions the 5870 blew his diffs including stripping the input/pinion gear.
Sadly the Dibby has never gotten the same love as the 5iveT or B, mainly the gears, they just aren't to the same standard

Only the centre diff is alloy, front/rear are the same as the gasser

@Windays You will need to do something about the diffs for sure, there is a vid on youtube where a guy briefly mentions the 5870 blew his diffs including stripping the input/pinion gear.
Sadly the Dibby has never gotten the same love as the 5iveT or B, mainly the gears, they just aren't to the same standard
They aren't really losi design either, and meant to be an "economy" or entry level 1/5 scale. When I first got into 1/5 they were the only cheap 4x4 1/5 scale that wasn't a clone. Im pretty sure they were under the $1k mark new. A 5ive platform was closer to $2k.
After I built my 5ive t I pretty much lost all interest in the dbxl. It did everything better. Gotta keep in mind why they are the cheapest name brand 1/5 on the market.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks