New engine in Losi 5ive T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidelity101

I have the older Losi 5ive T (with the 26cc engine) and I found a near new condition Dynamite 29cc 4 bolt motor that I plan on installing along with a 20T pinion.

The problem I'm running into is finding the right components required to complete the installation. I WAS planning on pulling the Bartolone Clutch housing off my very old and well used 29cc 2 bolt CY motor and bolting that up to the new Dynamite (CY) 4 bolth engine until I read the fine print on Daves Motors website: "DOES NOT FIT the four bolt 29cc Dynamite from the RTR Losi 5IVE SCT w/AVC" Does anyone know WHY it doesn't fit? I am waiting on a puller tool in order to remove the clutch assembly, otherwise I'd look for myself.

Is it even worth going with the Bartolone clutch housing, clutch carrier and mesh plate or should I just leave well enough alone and use the stock parts from the 26cc engine? I already have the Bartolone clutch housing and the mesh plate, so the only real cost would be purchasing the clutch carrier for $40 (found one used).

Will the clutch need to be upgraded as well or can I reuse the stock clutch from the 26cc Dynamite 2 bolt (CY) engine on the new 29cc 4 bolt (CY) engine? I have a few spare 8k rpm springs and shoes which have been pulled from used motors so sticking with the stock clutch setup would definitely be the cheaper option vs. purchasing the Vertigo clutch with hex drive...which looks awesome.
http://www.davesmotors.com/vertigo-100652B-hex-drive-vented-clutch-bell-for-losi-5ive.html

Maybe this entire process will be a waste of time for a small gain, but I have the stock 26cc engine running well and it's a rocket ship with the Samba tuned pipe I picked up. I figured I'd step up to a 20T pinion because I have LOTS of room to drive the vehicle and I'd rather have a bit more top end...currently capped at about 37mph on grass and 40mph on pavement. I figured the 29cc engine would give me that little bit of extra punch to keep torque high while also helping with overall performance as compared to the 26cc.

So lots of questions here and I apologize in advance...I want to be able to order the parts I need and be able to build everything in one night without realizing that half of the parts won't work together. :)

Anyone with experience dealing with all of these components...your advise would be greatly appreciated.

The sales department from http://www.davesmotors.com/ answered most of my questions. Since I couldn't find this information only, I'll post it here and hopefully it will help others.

The Dynamite 29cc 4 bolt motor has a unique bolt pattern and there is currently no aftermarket Clutch housing that will fit it. That's why http://www.davesmotors.com/ shows the part as NOT being compatible with the 29cc 4 bolt Dynamite engine. The Bartolone clutch carrier works with the stock clutch housing so I've found my answer...buy the Bartolone clutch carrier OR use the stock clutch carrier for the Dynamite 29cc 4 bolt motor.

Apparently the clutch is the same on the 26cc and the 29cc Dynamite engines so nothing is unique there. The Vertigo clutch WILL work BUT you have to shave it down a bit using a dremel.

Just to be clear, the Dynamite 29cc has a "unique" clutch housing, but as far as I know everything else is compatible with it. Since the Bartolone clutch carrier is compatible to the stock housing, it's not really an issue for me unless I (or anyone else) wanted to use the mess plate to hold the engine against the spur gear for proper spur/pinion alignment. On the other hand, you could always drill and tap the stock clutch housing, which I may end up doing.

I'm on the fence about keeping the stock 29cc Dynamite and finishing the break in process OR selling it and buying either the OBR 30.5 zenoah OR the stock G320RC. Since I already have the Bartolone clutch housing, it kind of makes sense to go with the OBR 30.5 for amazing performance and I could use the Bartolone clutch housing...but then again the G320RC might offer more upgrade options in the future and it has really good reviews even in stock form.

I decided to install the Dynamite 29cc engine today, Samba pipe and a 20T pinion. This replaced the 26cc Dynamite engine, Samba pipe and 19T pinion.

Results: The 29cc engine and 20T pinion has amazing punch off the line and top speed is 40mph. Top speed with the 26cc/19T pinion was 36mph. Overall, I think the 29cc engine and 20T pinion has better off the line acceleration and the extra 4mph to the top end was a nice bonus.

Any of you Dynamite 29cc owners out there, what is your favorite carburetor for this engine when using a tuned pipe?

I'm also using a Samba pipe which I believe is fairly old but it gives the low and middle range a significant boost. Top speed is now 40mph but acceration from a dead stop is incredible!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks