New FG Sportsline owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Gasser

Hey guys, just picked up a used FG sportsline. I believe it is the '08 model since it has the cable front brakes. What necessary upgrades/spares do you guys recommend? I will just be starting out. Also, are there any setup guides? Interested to know what kind of tires people are racing with.

new car

Welcome to the family of 5th scale its going to be a riot.I also have a 08 sportline i bought 1.5 years ago.It has been upgraded and modified a fair amount.If you read around this forum you will find info on set ups etc.It will depend on what you will be doing with the car be it on track racing or parking lot bash and race.As far as spare parts as long as the car is in good shape you should not need a lot to start,tires might be the only thing you may need to look at. Paul :):):)

I will be starting out in 1/5th racing hopefully. The class is kind of dead here but always wanted to own a 1/5th onroad. :)

BTW, does anyone know where I can find the Sportsline assembly manual?

HI mate,

Welcome to the forum..

Mike is ya man for set-ups.....i am sure he`ll be along very soon :D

Helped me and many others wth set-up...mine actually goes the direction i want it too now lol

Welcome to the mad house!

Have a look here www.fg-info.co.uk the forum is in it's early stages yet but it'll get there. It's not the forum for banter and fun, i'll leave others to that - it's just FG information.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for all the welcome guys! :) I may have a bunch of questions since 1/5th onroad is totally new to me.

Could you use rear tires all around on these cars? Tires are a bit hard to find and then there are differences between front and rear designated tires. From my understanding, they are different in diameter or width?? Tread pattern too? Not totally sure...

Thanks for all the welcome guys! :) I may have a bunch of questions since 1/5th onroad is totally new to me.

Could you use rear tires all around on these cars? Tires are a bit hard to find and then there are differences between front and rear designated tires. From my understanding, they are different in diameter or width?? Tread pattern too? Not totally sure...

I THINK......but i am willing to be proved wrong, that all of the wheels width and diameter for on-road are the same. Fitments are different amoung brands though. e.g MCDs i know don't fit.
The differences are mainly in the compounds. Some compounds work better on the rear axle and some on the front. The GRP tires can be used anywhere, but from what i understand, you fit tires to achieve the `balance` you want i.e under/oversteer.
I tend to run the car the same all the way round e.g Grp `c`s. But, i have depending on temperatures, run a C on the rear and a B on the front as the rears will warm up better than the front.
It is down to feel i guess, but i am only going from experimenting when i have been out bashing. Seasoned racers on here will no doubt give you a different perspective. :)

touring car tires are the same front to back. the difference is your compounds. some like to run the same compound front and rear, i personally like to run one compound harder on the front. i have 4 different compounds mounted and ill change tires as the track temp changes. when its cold ill run 10s on the rear and 15s front, and once it warms up the 15s go on the back and 20s on the front. fyi i run old pegaso tires, you wont find these anymore. go with grp tires, they work well.

tires are the most important thing on your car. too hard a tire and the car isnt gonna turn, or spinning out, and too soft and you will wear a set of tires off in no time flat.

Oh ok, the reason I asked was because I have extra sets of the FG DTM GRP tires that came with the car. On the back of the package, it shows front and rear sets you can buy. The fronts seem to have a different tread pattern, and different width. 124mm fronts vs 122mm rears. Just didn't know if the tread pattern or different diameters made a huge difference or not.

Since I have two pairs of medium set (rears), I want to run them as my front tires. And run some soft tires in the rear. :)

Last edited:
iv never run a 4wd 5th scale so i cant offer much help there, however i ran the same idea on my 1/10 scale 4wd touring cars, 1 compound firmer in the front. id say try that and see how the car works. if you need more steering go softer up front, less steering go firmer. if the back end is loose go softer in the rear. so far ive never run into wanting less rear traction, i go by tire wear and keep the tires in the correct heat range for the track.

this is why its important to have a few different compounds of tires, its needed to properly set the car up. yes its expensive up front, however overall each pair of tires will get more life as they are being run in the correct conditions

iv never run a 4wd 5th scale so i cant offer much help there, however i ran the same idea on my 1/10 scale 4wd touring cars, 1 compound firmer in the front. id say try that and see how the car works. if you need more steering go softer up front, less steering go firmer. if the back end is loose go softer in the rear. so far ive never run into wanting less rear traction, i go by tire wear and keep the tires in the correct heat range for the track.

this is why its important to have a few different compounds of tires, its needed to properly set the car up. yes its expensive up front, however overall each pair of tires will get more life as they are being run in the correct conditions

From Experience with real 4wd cars, firmer fronts sounds good, especially given how lifelike these large scale cars seem to be.

Cosworths/skylines munch through front tires in a few thousand miles!
I really want to try one of these 4wd FGs. They look planted in Videos!

haven't driven a 4wd fg, but i had a chance to drive a redcat rally. the 2wd cars take a lot of skill and finness to put around a track, the 4wd i found drove just like my 1/10 scale 4wd touring cars, point it and peg the throttle. no finness needed, i found it offered no more fun than the 1/10 scale stuff. its not for me, for 4wd id rather stick to 1/10 scale, its far cheaper for the same amount of fun.

These days (in racing) 99% of people use GRP or PMT tyres on their car. Back in the dim and distant past, some cars like the FG porche had a wider rear tyre to fill out the arches - which may be the DTM ones you're talking about.
When PMT were the more popular tyre, you could have been using a different compound on each corner depending on the track and condition - compound then were 5,10,15,20,25,30,35 and then split compounds i.e half the tyre was 20 the other half was 30.

These days (in racing) 99% of people use GRP or PMT tyres on their car. Back in the dim and distant past, some cars like the FG porche had a wider rear tyre to fill out the arches - which may be the DTM ones you're talking about.
When PMT were the more popular tyre, you could have been using a different compound on each corner depending on the track and condition - compound then were 5,10,15,20,25,30,35 and then split compounds i.e half the tyre was 20 the other half was 30.

lol much prefer the GRP compound listing!! Far easier. I have some of these PMTs that i picked up cheap. Just use them for practice/bashing. They`ve hardly worn since i fitted them on.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks