New from Rovan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seesit kicking off and just jumps right in ??
Ive had rovans my engine is a rovan i had other engines and a few rc's and i can honestly say i broke the most on my mcd but.. my rovan 45 did me so well i rebuilt it to discover the new crankcase and cylinder are improved even down to the coating and honing..but i know the clones are as good as the genuine and when they are not its only mi or things if any of you guys don't agree then you have clearly not had a clone you have the same or similar problems when you bash or race with a clone and a genuine car thats a fact also people who like to upgrade their rigs whether clone or original always upgrade the same parts when they afe upgrading for bashing or racing so if they werent almost as equal or even equal why do people do the same upgrades on the clones as the originals and why are there still alot of clones out there everywhere just look at youtube look at botagel on youtube and all those other guys
Well I agree on the upgrading thing, most people upgrade the same things weather real or clone, your Gunna upgrade. If your looking to keep it stock, your on the wrong hobby cuz shits Gunna break if u bash and nothing is perfect. On the engines, it's a hit or miss really, Me and a couple people had a bad experience with rovan engines, you and a couple people had a good experience with em. The difference is, your willing to take that risk on their engines, me on the other hand, would rather not risk or potentially waste my money on rovan engines while I can just get a g320 Zenoah which is a much better platform of engine for a very similar price and know it's Gunna work no matter what. I can't comment on the "clone and real are exactly the same" thing you said because ive not had a real hpi but what I can tell you is, I've many different people say this on different forums ?

why do people do the same upgrades on the clones as the originals

Because it looks good. Why do RC racers buy 2-3000 dollar rollers if they could just get a clone and slap on a few shiny chinesium upgrades? Alloy components are not "better". Only better looking.

just look at youtube look at botagel on youtube and all those other guys

All those guys who straight up tell you that its for looks? except for drag racing where the stiffness is good.

edit to add. When people upgrade their gears for carbon steel its a functional upgrade. IN particular if you have a very powerful engine in a heavy truck with a mediocre/bullshit diff housing like the MTXL e.g If you put on a steel servosaver instead of the plastic one provided. These upgrades have a very real and direct effect on your experience. Most of the popular upgrades only makes the vehicle weaker (but purtier)

Last edited:
I actually give up because i feel like im talking to dumbasses they buy thoze because the companys have a reputation they look good and they perform good they break just as easy as anything else i had an elcon once all alloy was expensive once but i paid like 400 for it it was good all made of alloy and if hence why it was once expensive all those 3000 rigs are 98% alloy even the mcds thats why they cost so much and they are a brand genuine brand so a racer with money would buy one who wouldnt and they cost money its like im dealing with fools here for real anybody with alot of money into racing or even bashing would always get a genuine purpose built rc before a clone but you slap 100% alloy parts on your clone then we are talking even tho its not needed like i said all the elcons mcd's and FG's are almost complete alloy and zenoah powered not even cy its like a tradition your basically saying a clone cant hang with a genuine lool suck balls my old rovan baja wiped the floor with alot of genuine cars and it was only a rovan 36cc all rovan and tr alloy never broke even on a bmx dirt track i saw an fg and a baja genuine baja get dismantled there fair enough they werent upgraded like mine but mine was a clone so i guess it should have broke or it was poop according to some fools wow this is funny man said professional racers l.o.l they have money to get the most hyped up cars from these jumped money grabbing companys who bring out a new one every couple years leaving the previous model worthless with no availability for parts and then they sell for less than a clone

Yes and we all know that its all the same because its all called alloy :rolleyes:

your basically saying a clone cant hang with a genuine

No I am not "basically" saying that. Read over what I have written as many times as you need to.

i saw an fg and a baja genuine baja get dismantled there fair enough they werent upgraded like mine

You mean downgraded and way to destroy your own argument. :ROFLMAO:

interresting article on the subject https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/blog/hpi-baja-vs-clone-rc-bajav

these jumped money grabbing companys who bring out a new one every couple years ...

HPI currently has 7 variations of the Baja, there are more than 20 variations from the clone companies.

Last edited:
Pointless like iphone vs ssmsung

Not even remotely lol. Talk about missing the point so extremely that it might as well have been a heavenly body passing over your head a billion lightyears away. This is not about brand vs brand at all. I am 100% disloyal to all brands. I am a horrible costumer in that regard.

Id have to say 50% upgradss are cosmetic and thats ok (y)
Who dose not want a hot looking ride:unsure:
And @ the end of the day you must go with what suits you and what you can afford........ starting of with a less expensive platform and upgrading from there is ok. Coz lets face it you can have a car built of many different after market parts. And if you don't upgrade thats your call......what ever blows you off(y):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek:

Id have to say 50% upgradss are cosmetic and thats ok

I think its a lot more than 50% but I agree. Its ok. Whats idiotic is all the people who think these visual upgrades makes the car better. Its like thinking your car goes faster because it has a hotrod flame paintjob. Hopefully that kind of magical think has left a person about the time when their balls drop but it seems to not actually be the case. That many people genuinely believe that putting on worse but better looking parts overall makes the vehicle a better vehicle.

If you want to start with less expensive then get a proper used one instead of a clone. In the article I posted written by someone who sells both originals and clones the writer states that if you are buying an RC for your newbie technically challenged mate then get the real article. Its just less headaches. And this is why I have come to think that clones put people off the hobby and doesn't work like the cheap entry I once thought they were.

Imagine being new to it all and want to get into it. What would you rather start out with something that is mostly joy and a little fixing or something that requires you to completely strip and rebuild the engine along with the rest of the vehicle just to get it running?

The extra money paid is quickly earned back in lack of frustration. And you and I both know why there are so many clones for sale for fiddlestick all compared to the originals which price has been pretty fixed for years. At least where I am living where the baja is very popular as a beginners large scale RC. edit. its because they get a clone on reccomendation from a friend who think the HPI is really the clone (yes there are dumbasses that still floats this around) and run into a veritable smorgasboard of issues and end up saying "fiddlestick this poop", sell it off for its metal scrap value and get an electric 1:10.

People should do what makes them happy.

Last edited:
For me I rather buy genuine parts/cars when ever I can. Granted I do have some clone parts on my hpi. buy original parts keeps the innovators in business and I'd rather have newer improved original products than a copy, sometimes more often than not shite quality. And if the trend to buy clones continues it puts these companies out of business ......... (n)

Not even remotely lol. Talk about missing the point so extremely that it might as well have been a heavenly body passing over your head a billion lightyears away. This is not about brand vs brand at all. I am 100% disloyal to all brands. I am a horrible costumer in that regard.
I think we all have a good point so i retract calling people idiots etc because it is all about what every individual can afford or prefers because im with you with genuine is better but in my experience clones are good as the genuine except id still rather have mcd etched onto my mcd alloy and plastics than nothing or area rc etc and even my losi i have km parts and mostly still stock losi and area rc and i would swap out the alloy km parts for something like turtle racing or ddm or flm anyday just for looks etc lets face it us rc guys like to debate so i guess to us this is politics so i say again i retract any rudeness coz we still are aall in the same hobby so we got that in common

For me I rather buy genuine parts/cars when ever I can. Granted I do have some clone parts on my hpi. buy original parts keeps the innovators in business and I'd rather have newer improved original products than a copy, sometimes more often than not shite quality. And if the trend to buy clones continues it puts these companies out of business ......... (n)
I has in the same boat here. I try not to buy clone/copy suff because then I'm not supporting the original designer and maker of that thing, there's exceptions tho, like that rb innovations clutch holder fan thingy, there asking 40 bucks or so, I think that's way to much. But I do try and support the original people as much as possible ?

I am willing to bet that they have gotten just as many off the hobby. I see them for sale all the time as "fixerup" projects. They are not even worth the asking price because you have to spend so much getting them up to par that you just might as well get the real article from the get go.

edit: The problem I have with clones is that they are presenting themselves as something they are not. Why are king and rovan not making their own cars and designs instead of mooching of the RD and advertisement/brand of everyone else? Like most other copy brands they live off the fact that most people don't know the difference. A baja looks like a baja, regardless if it was made with proper materials for the job or not. And all this alloy talk. A plastic designed for the job are better for the job than all the chinesium alloy in the world even if it doesn't have the bling factor. Rovan in particular likes to hide behind bling factor...

"ohhhh shiney" - moron looking for a big ass RC for cheaps.

It is not just because the brands are cheap that they keep alloys to a minimum. Its because these nylon plastics are hard but will flex. Cheap alloy will bend and lose all it strength if you try to straighten it after a crash. Alloy looks good, it runs bad unless you fork over for the good stuff which is prohibitively expensive. And still keep crashing to a minimum because its soft metal.

lol@TJ what, are you 12?

You don't have to spend big bucks to get into 1/5th scale. Buy a roller, thats minus the cheap motor and servos, they are the first things to go that give them a bad name. And most don't know how to repair them, or install the same cheap crap components. I installed a Zen / pipe and Hi Tec servos. I stay away from alloys in suspension. You hit something it just tweaks everything. Plastics are cheap, let them break a way.

As you know Z my buggy started as a rovan. The only rovan parts left are the plastic suspension pieces. My buggy is a TR 5b now. Lol. Thrasher and Teejay need to take it back a few notches. I bought the Rovan because I could afford it . I knew I was going to make upgrades and I knew I'd break parts . This is why I got the Rovan. Now that I've had it a while I think I've found most of the flaws. There were only a couple of things that really cause any problems during the upgrade process.

5th scale rc's are not a good hobby for those that are not mechanically inclined. That is why you find people drop out of it. How many posts have we seen in the past few months of guys that can't figure out why there machines won't run. And they are clueless about the trouble shooting process.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks