New Grave Digger owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I respect your reply, and your more positive spin. Though I can easily sum up your main points here:

1. You say from the start I was "trying to hunt for ... and engineer solutions that hadn't arose yet". You stated in your very own reply here, you did the exact same thing looking around on forums and applying solutions while spending time carefully assembling and "did the mods most of us identified and saw a need for". You simultaneously state that essentially my experience is not the same as the group? My experience even by your standards is exactly the same as the group. Even John Park's build threads prove that, as well as others on here.
  2. I'm glad you've gotten yours to the point where every 5-6 months you do a full teardown and it's reliable (aside from I guess you're admitting you have to strip the front and rear to replace busted shock bushings on a semi or regular basis?). My list here is of major issues to solve, short of upgraded things like the engine. Everything else I'm confused ... the servos are a known issue, another member mentioned all the glitching issues with the wiring harness and the fact that you have to toggle the stock switch multiple times to turn the truck on sporadically. It's all here on the forums. How am I unique in this and "hunting for new solutions?"

In the end, I'm glad you're happy and have reached a point of more reliability. And I do 100% understand the business case, I'm a business owner myself. However, if I put out after 3 revisions this kind of product especially on a big launch like the Grave Digger when even Dennis Anderson is getting a hold of them, I myself would be a little ashamed. There's no way these issues are new, and they aren't ... just scroll the forums on this site only. Other places like the Facebook group share similar complaints.

So all in all, I'm not bashing you ... but your response here is a little off base, and mildly "offensive" simply because you've contradicted yourself in your own post and there's ample evidence I'm not the only one with these issues. A couple granted are very minor, but on the whole, with all problems and solutions together it's a big deal. Especially the issue with servos dying mid-run, and wiring harnesses sporadically burning out. It's F'ing dangerous on an 80lbs truck!

Guess you and I just see things a tad differently is all brother. No offensiveness was meant on my end. No sweat at all. Thanks for your time with your ernest reply. Keep wrenchin' and running rigs bud! 🍻

I guess we do it seems. I don't consider something "reliable" unless I can run it multiple times, put it away, and bring it back out again without having to take something apart or buy another replacement part. I suppose like I mentioned and you did mention yourself, there were at least a few things on this truck that needed sorting on your truck included. Hell, I have RC airplanes that are now on their 7th year and all I do is do a one-over and tune up on the engine (radials as well), check all the bolts, the battery status, and re-run fuel lines as needed. Those things are a hell of a lot more delicate and fragile especially the warbirds with landing gear. They've been way more reliable and more consistent to pull out, fly, and put away ... rinse and repeat than this truck has been.

The thing is clearly manufactured by Rovan ... again it's super cool, but there's no use in bullshitting about the quality :) It's OK, not great. By comparison ... I have a DBXL 2 and short of me playing around trying to tune the suspension to work better, and fixing the leaking gas tank and a couple other missing screws supplied out of the box, I've never actually managed to break a single thing and I take the thing out multiple times and drive it HARD, shut it off, and pull it back out again. Don't have to replace a single damn thing on it. Truth be told ... the DBXL 2 after way less money is 10x more reliable. I have absolutely no concern or worry I'll pull that out, and then "poop ... I have to pull it apart AGAIN to replace something?".

In the end, I guess what I mean by spending thousands more on the truck is everything involved, radio, electronics, upgraded parts like switches etc. for me at least, the stock engine was terrible and out of the box my choke setup was stuck an inoperable. There's a small list of things I had Primal RC send me in replacement, the stock decals are garbage hence Primal RC offering for $100! some proper vinyl ... and I have the receipts to prove it :) So again, not trying to put out false or misleading information.

I'm simply telling the truth along the way of ownership. I really don't think it's a matter of seeing things differently, but I mean I guess I have to concede to that point because it's clear we do 🍻

Here's one of my biggest/most expensive RC airplane projects, built from a box of sticks and plans. 1/3 scale Stearman. If I can build something more reliable myself from a box of wood, that's a massive 124" wingspan and land it in open fields, fly through the air with 3 dimensional control, land, take partially apart to store and put back together again multiple times without a single reliability issue ... a $3,999 RC truck plus an additional $4,000 sunk into the thing ... absolutely ridiculous to have to fix even something small after every run.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Bingo ... Definitely not a problem and it's just me searching to engineer solutions to things that haven't yet become a problem eh Rick? :) haha already in line for a set. You can probably see my post already from the other day discussing with Arthur; he found the same issue himself and messaged Vitavon requesting a fix.

Perfect !!!!

Exactly what the doctor ordered. I had reached out to Taylor to see if it was a task he’d take on.

IMO, these are a home-run.

Thank you
One more upgrade .... beautiful JS aluminum fuel tank. I couldn't get the old bloody tank with the 3 hole tank stopper to stop leaking no matter what I did. Every bloody run I'd have fuel dripping off the tank and causing a mess.

Bought a JS Performance tank, with a good new 2 hole stopper (which btw the holes were MUCH smaller on ... used the high flow fuel kit without fuel tube on it inside the stopper holes) and tossed the damn Kraken 3 hole stopper and kept the stock tank just as backup. Happy to say, not a single drop of fuel anywhere it's not supposed to be now.

Only 1 fix left for this thing for now in terms of reliability. The darn white plastic shock-end bushings seem to randomly screw themselves out and get destroyed. Another stupid design on this thing. Going to put my thinking cap on and come up with a solution so I don't have to buy a lifetime supply of the F'in things.

So far I've solved / upgraded:

1. poop stock engine
  2. Servos
  3. Entire wiring harness and large rocker switch switch (which BTW is 100% worthwhile, not a single issue now after multiple runs)
  4. Upper and lower arms and heim link upgrade
  5. Diff screws
  6. brass bushing mod
  7. Shimmed out the transmission
  8. Entire radio / electrical components supplied short of the kill switch which I find decent
  9. Brakes (stock metal on aluminum is plain stupid ... carbon fiber discs, keep getting better with every run and virtually no wear)
  10. Fuel tank and fuel setup
  11. The components required to bump this truck from 'Standard Edition' to 'Collectors Edition'
  12. Primal supplied upgrades shock seal setup (though, I ended up paying for this myself despite them saying they'd send a set free ... go figure, partially my impatience as I wanted to get the truck working and not leaking shock oil sooner than later)

Pretty poop for the amount of money these things cost new, but regardless ... I can officially say short of the shock bushing issue I'll get sorted out somehow, this is a reliable truck now and I can run it for an entire afternoon, clean it with an air compressor, put it away and not have to wrench on the damn thing every time I run it. Perfect, and this engine keeps getting a little snappier with every run. It's got to be fully broken in at this point now ... awesome engine; matched perfectly to the truck and not snapping anything in the driveline.
Where can the CF rotors be ordered?

Thank you

If you join the Primal RC Owners Community Forum on Facebook, make a post asking about them (or scroll down until you find a post of mine about the brakes) and you should be able to find or receive a response to a guy named John Caceres.

Seems like this is a pretty universal issue along with the handful of other issues.

If you join the Primal RC Owners Community Forum on Facebook, make a post asking about them (or scroll down until you find a post of mine about the brakes) and you should be able to find or receive a response to a guy named John Caceres.

Seems like this is a pretty universal issue along with the handful of other issues.
Thank you

Just to report back on here again ... the Vitavon shock ends have now made it so I can drive the truck and not worry about it falling apart on every run. I've had multiple runs now with 0 issues. Finally! Highly recommend those shock ends as an upgrade.

Fair warning however ... not a fault at all with the Vitavon components, the shock ends had unevenly machined threads on the Primal made shock shafts and some of the Vitavon shock ends fit all the way on snugly, others required grinding the bottom of the shock shaft as well as some of the damaged Primal threads from the factory after removing the Primal shock ends. Yet another half-assed component on these trucks; at this point I wasn't surprised though :) The reason the Primal shock ends fit on and require a poop ton of thread locker, is because the tolerances on the threads are so bloody high ... and it seems with reason, to compensate for the poor workmanship on the threaded end of the shock shaft. Also noticed where I didn't before, that some of the shock shafts are machines to a nice smooth finish, while others have a light 'grooved' texture to them which you can see would've obviously exaggerated the shock seal issue for some shocks.

.... oh well :) Get what you pay for? Not always? Who knows.

Junk the factory engine, for around five hundred you can get a gp460 engine with and esp top end and have over double the power for cheap.

Justin braim has them down very well, tons of videos to.

Titanium shfts from Taylor are ok, but they snap. Better off sticking to the factory shafts. Alx now has upgraded hardened steel ones. Alx also offers good engine options as well. I went with a 85 in my grave digger
which DDM GP460 engine are you referring to fits the raminator?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks