New Grave Digger owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thanks guys!

Annndd ... the stock servos suck. Specifically the brake servo glitches out of the box. The solder job on the inside was terrible, and overall a hunk of poop. Oh boy ...

O. M. G. !!! Inferior crap on the digger !!?? Well let's not for get , it is a rc ! 😂🤣 Well,,,,, more patheticness ! The pinnacle of rc and we're talking about problems right out of the FREEKN box ! Address every problem , make a list and send it to the crooks at primal rc , for the money you paid , they should come to your house and fix everything and they should also bring quarterback crunch ice cream ! For crap sakes ! I sent them all my issues and they were great about it all ,get what you deserve , for your money JEEEEEZE !!!!

I had a bad brake servo in the mega truck plus a broken wire on the one steering servo and primal replaced both of them no issues
They are good with warranty issues

For sure. These days it's definitely not limited to just RC as well, it's pretty much everything. Nothing is perfect though especially with mass production, but seems like they have a definite issue with the brake servo. I've seen multiple people just on this forum alone have the exact same issue with that particular servo.

They have been nice for sure with replacing things; they setup a replacement and also the switch was flaky out of the box so that's being replaced as well. Haven't tested my steering servos yet, but everything else seems good so far. Replaced the stock radio with my Futaba 4PMP setup. Working on a good cleanup of all the wiring, it's a mess out of the box IMO.

Yes , that brake servo is junk , just like the replacement they send , they are good at warranty things , but for the money we pay , that dam thing should take it's perfectly assembled self out of the box by itself!!! I'm so sick of this crap ! I haven't even taken my vesla out of the box yet , and after the stuff I'm hearing n reading I'm in no hurry to get freeeeekn pissed off again DAMIT ! Big bucks ! I expect a big return , not a dam box of SH&$#@!!!!! , I Just had a conversation with horizon hobby that also pissed me off , lower quality materials at the same time prices go way up , crap that comes out of these boxes these days , looks like ten year olds are to exspensive for assemblers , must have moved on to infants to assemble them , just don't like this industry anymore , are you freaking kidding me ! Again with the FREEEEKN CROOKS !!

It's definitely frustrating, I hear you on that one. Not just hobby equipment though. I bought a John Deere tractor a while back and a new pickup truck. The tractor had 2 issues right on delivery that they had to send a technician out to replace a couple faulty parts affecting and causing a leak with the hydraulic steering, the wrong parts for a snow blade and a few missing sheer bolts. The truck, well it came with crap tires (2023 GMC Sierra Denali), and had a bunch of loose bolts on the interior and the rear seat springs popped out and caused a weird squeak and the cushion to sink in towards the floor lol

These are both supposed to be high-end pieces of equipment. I think the state of all manufacturing has slid a bit, but also mass production sees issues like this often regardless.

Anyhow, for something this expensive you do rightfully expect better base quality. Would be nice if Primal RC offered these in kit form, so you can select your own engine and servos from the start. I suspect they don't at this point, because the price point would be difficult to price versus the RTR seemingly coming with a bunch of "goodies" - they'd have to price the kit high enough to make the same sort of margins etc. so I'm sure they'd price the kit up in the $3,000 range and have to provide some unique upgrades in the kit form versus any RTR. Just from a business perspective, if they don't make enough money they can't keep their doors open and this is a very niche market and set of products.

However ... IMO the CY460 engine is nothing "special" it's a CY even if it is much better performing; I can't see the cost for that especially if they buy in bulk being too much more expensive but then again it's just another upgrade component they can up-sell, but it should come as an option with the RTR. Purchase the RTR with stock 49CC or, the CY HO option for an upgrade fee so you don't have to throw a perfectly good engine in the garbage.

Anyhow, I'll post some photos soon ... haven't taken many but I've taken some of the progress. I'm happy I bought some of the upgrades separately actually versus the Collectors Edition; it's prompted me to have to take most of the truck apart and really go over everything. The shocks especially needed re-doing, and needed some aluminum burs pulled out of the shock bodies before they started scratching things etc. The other thing is, the rebound was drastically different between all 8 shocks out of the box. Properly lubed up all the o-rings, and evened up all shocks with the negative pressure cap sets I purchased on all 8. Much better.

Also gone around putting some tractor-grade grease on any moving components that needed it; any metal-to-metal bushing etc. really pay attention to building everything straight and true, and nicely lubricated. Makes a big difference I think.

Last edited:
If you consider the power of the dollar now vs 5 or even 10 years ago, it's still not priced bad for what you get, although like has been said I agree quality control has gone down across every industry.

Getting there ... almost complete. Mounted up the CY460 "HO" engine, and noticed Primal didn't bother to create an updated set of mounting brackets to tie the engine back into the cross-support posts that have a bracket that screws into the stock engine, and ties in the transfer case. Instead, they recommend just bolting the engine in through the clutch base.

No thanks ... I at least modified my brackets to tie the transfer case back into the cross supports. Not sure why they didn't design a proper mounting system they sell with the engine. Also, mounted up a flexible exhaust tube I pulled from an old OS engine to redirect the exhaust out the back under the radio tray for the Grave Digger body. Stock, they way Primal has you mount it ... the hot exhaust gasses and oil will hit the inside roof of the Grave Digger body and make a mess. Waiting for the high-temp exhaust sealant/epoxy to fully cure then I'm going to wrap that area and tidy it up.

I've taken apart most of the truck, and IMO it's worth it for 1) the fun and 2) I feel like I've done a much more thorough and careful assembly. Stock out of the box, the front and rear axles weren't square to the chassis either so I had to carefully set all the linkage to the correct specs. Time consuming, but fun.

Next up, I'm getting rid of the stock battery and I think I'll use the light switch location to mount a deans charge receptacle with JST balance plug so I don't have to take the radio case apart to charge the battery. Kind of a dumb design there; it should at least have a couple hinges on the back and the front held down with a clip. That's how I would've designed it anyhow!

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpeg
    IMG_0194.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 25
Yeah it's pretty "crap" honestly. I can't believe they get away selling the engine kit without at least some new support brackets. The stock pipe, well it works at least as far as I can tell after removing the driver and 1 or 2 cross beams in the roll cage. I haven't tried with the Grave Digger body on yet, but it looks like a closer fit than the Raminator so I hope it works or I'll be on the search for a tighter fitting pipe.

Any recommendations on pipes?
Looking good dude! I'd for sure do the diff mod and install that brass bushing while your tearing it apart anyhow.
Ended up leaving the diff, and didn't do the bushing mod although now I wish I had done at least the bushing mod. Oh well. Gives me something else to look forward to wrenching on later I guess!

Last edited:
I asked primal if the bartalone pipe will work with the 46ho but it won’t unless a new header is designed for it
Some of the cage apparently has to be chopped to clear the Taylor pipe and I was curious if the same had to be done with the 46ho
Thanks for that bit of info
What I did on my V3 radio box was to notch out a groove on the left side of the box so I could get the battery wire out of the box for charging
Just need to use a grommet for the wire
Better then undoing the box all the time to charge the battery

I asked primal if the bartalone pipe will work with the 46ho but it won’t unless a new header is designed for it
Some of the cage apparently has to be chopped to clear the Taylor pipe and I was curious if the same had to be done with the 46ho
What I did on my V3 radio box was to notch out a groove on the left side of the box so I could get the battery wire out of the box for charging

I believe any pipe will need modified, the goped, bartolone will for sure need it. However the obr pipe should be a direct fit for their 46.

Wrote OBR, and seems they are in an "endless loop" of having stuff almost ready "yesterday", but apparently they have a new pipe coming that fits well. They also make a mounting system that ties in the transfer case to the cross support for the engine as well which they don't want to sell separately :p lol bummer but makes sense for their business model.

I like the primal carb adaptor for the CY460 to angle the intake downwards and not have to move the tank or anything, and not having to move the cross support posts around; and I like the OBR attention to detail on securing the engine and transfer case. Need both combined lol

Getting closer. Time to fit the body, and apply the decals. I ordered the high-quality Grave Digger upgraded vinyl printed 'collectors edition' decals; the stock decals are a bit cheap. These ones are miles better in print quality (no more blocky lettering / graphics when you look close) and material.

Only thing left to do is upgrade the battery; just waiting on a 5,200Mah hard-case LIPO I ordered which is probably the exact same one on Primal's website as an upgrade with a different label. Used a grommet to place the charging extensions outside of the radio case as suggested instead of make a mount for the deans connector on the top of the lid which I still think would've looked better :p

Should I also replace the throttle and reverse servo? It says in the manual they aren't high-voltage rated, so they may die quicker. Maybe that's a stupid question, as these stock servos are not great. Have another replacement on the way for 1 of the 100KG servos ... I'll use those until they die (maybe 2 gas tanks? lol) and then replace and hope they don't cause a crash in the meantime haha

Also ... should I swap the stock 25/25 for 23/27 gearing? Seems like this CY460 engine will allow you to do some wheelies if you give it using the 23/27 combo

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 11
Oh well ... for now, this pipe works. If the flexible exhaust tube doesn't work out well, to improve the current setup I can just relocate & rotate the stinger around to a better angle, and bend some larger diameter aluminum tube and just attach it using a silicone coupler. See how it goes first.

Started the final steps on getting the body prepped. Tight fit! But it works. Needed to take out the driver, and the rear support bracket as well as cut the front driver support bracket out to the edge where the V support post meets.

Need to grind one of the side support posts in the roll cage slightly just so it doesn't make any contact with the pipe and I may wrap it with a bit of heat-shield, and the same with the pipe up near the front window. It fits, but I'd hate for the heat radiating off the pipe to melt the shell; not sure how close it has to be to actually do that but I figure better 'safe than sorry'.

Thought of you on this one. If you need any closer photos, let me know but it's pretty self explanatory when you try it out. Safe to say, it fits. Just have to take some precautions IMO to make sure the pipe doesn't melt anything haha

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm just glad to see you keeping up the good incentive, to keep building that beast , after watching your work , and another guy on you tube , I'm gunna wait for some sorry fool to get board with his raminator , and I'll take a drive to rescue him from his painfully purchase , and get a used one ,maybe one that's been fixed ,since primal won't do it ! What ! They have upgraded decals ! And you didn't get them with your purchase !! Pissed again !!! O. M. G. !!! Pathetic ! I STILL NEED a digger , but I'm not gunna put myself through the disappointment that I'm seeing with new owners everywhere , JEEEEZE ! How much were the decals ? $500 plus shipping ? Can't believe this crap ! How much money it is and it's half nothing but crap !! What the H - E - double hockey sticks do they think they can get away with is just unbelievable , I'm sorry but this just beats me up !! I have other words but our fun police wouldn't appreciate them here so I'll shut up ,,,,,CRRRRRAP !!!

Last edited:
Relic you had a V2 Ram with the Taylor 50 did you not?
Shoulda kept it and then got a digger body/cage for it and the new style shocks and you would have the perfect grave digger truck

Relic you had a V2 Ram with the Taylor 50 did you not?
Shoulda kept it and then got a digger body/cage for it and the new style shocks and you would have the perfect grave digger truck
Not sure why my post did this above..sorry lol!

I looked at converting my V2 to a Digger, after new cage, body, lights, premium decals, new shocks and all that jazz...I was at almost $1,800 bucks. I figure if I want one that bad..might as well as just buy a new Digger...that price didn't even include swapping the red frame sides, red aluminum axle "bumpers" and so on. SMH.🤦‍♂️

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks