New to Large Scale - Should I buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewalsh100

Hey All - Long time RC enthusiast. I've never had a large scale rig, so I figure maybe it's time to take the plunge. I'm considering the Rovan LT450 45cc 4WD Short Course Truck. I have not heard of Rovan before, but this vehicle is supposedly a direct knock off of the Losi 5T. All parts are cross compatible. I've owned a number of Losi rigs, and I know their quality. That said, I can get the Rovan for quite a bit cheaper and put the savings in to hop-ups as I go. Am I barking up the wrong tree with this? Interested in hearing from folks who have owned a Rovan and what their thoughts are on build quality, etc. I just don't want to make the wrong move and end up with something that looks like a 5T, but runs, peforms, and holds up like a turd.

Hi Dougstar - thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I was kind of thinking the same thing. My experiences with Losi have all been pretty good. That said, this would really be more of just a play vehicle and nothing I'm looking to compete with, so I figured it might be worth it to just get the Rovan for the $ savings.
Hello evssv - I'm in the States. I've been reviewing the Rovan online, and feedback overall is pretty good. Just wondering If I should take a chance on an unkown brand, or spend the extra $ and pop for the Losi. Decisions...decisions. What have been your experiences with the KM as far as being a "knock off"?

welcome dude...(y)...in the uk we have the km x2 which is the losi5 copy basically......(y).....were abouts r u??
Hello evssv! I'm in the States. I've been going back and forth with that very thing. This would just be a "play" vehicle for me I think. Not intending to get in to any comp with it, but ya never know. I think the nearest large scale course for me is about 2 hours away. Just thought it might be worth a look at the Rovan for the savings. Comes with the 45cc engine and tuned pipe.

Hey All - Long time RC enthusiast. I've never had a large scale rig, so I figure maybe it's time to take the plunge. I'm considering the Rovan LT450 45cc 4WD Short Course Truck. I have not heard of Rovan before, but this vehicle is supposedly a direct knock off of the Losi 5T. All parts are cross compatible. I've owned a number of Losi rigs, and I know their quality. That said, I can get the Rovan for quite a bit cheaper and put the savings in to hop-ups as I go. Am I barking up the wrong tree with this? Interested in hearing from folks who have owned a Rovan and what their thoughts are on build quality, etc. I just don't want to make the wrong move and end up with something that looks like a 5T, but runs, peforms, and holds up like a turd.
the rovans are pretty good for the money, i also suggest checking out the mtxl if u plan on doing hardcore bashing (y) oh and welcome to the forum!!

All right gents, so if I hold out for a Losi 5T, should I wait for the new release that is currently on back order. Horizon Hobby has it's MSRP at 1399.99. Previous gen 5t new on Ebay is 1349.99, but I could pull the trigger today. New version is 32cc versus 29cc in the previous gen. Looks like some other tweaks were made as well to the driveline, etc.

All right gents, so if I hold out for a Losi 5T, should I wait for the new release that is currently on back order. Horizon Hobby has it's MSRP at 1399.99. Previous gen 5t new on Ebay is 1349.99, but I could pull the trigger today. New version is 32cc versus 29cc in the previous gen. Looks like some other tweaks were made as well to the driveline, etc.
i think wait for the 32cc version.

Wait for the Losi 5ive V2 and then ditch the 32cc for an OBR motor haha. Seriously if you buy the best then you will have less headaches, there is a reason they are the best on the market right now. The new vehicle has some really nice upgrades. better driveline angles and the 32cc is a good motor. You can always send that in to get modded too. Right off the bat there will be some mods that you will want mostly for durability. Start looking for Servos for the steering and a good radio system, I prefer futaba over everything on the market, Buy the best and buy it once. Driveline parts are going to be the next most important upgrade as the diff cups will most likely wear out fast. Then you will probably be at a point were you just want that crazy power, That is when you order an OBR 34cc Signature series motor and get like 10hp. Tires will be important to maintain the traction and make the bashing more enjoyable but the stock tires will work for a while. Somewhere in the mix you should consider a pipe, I strongly recommend the Olimat pipes as I have run the losi tuned, victory, bartalone pipe and I still think the Olimat makes the best all around and most usable power

If I had a do over (or the wife would let me spend money on a new toy) I would have bought the 5t and if I were to happon to find the check book... I'd get the v2in a heart beat. A g32 is a great engine and i felt the stocker that came in my dbxl was a total turd. Ended up blowing the money on an obr engine... that took my cost up right away. But like was mentioned before good deals can always be had on ebay

Well, you boys have definitely given me a lot to think on. @evssv - I did find the King Motors X2 you mentioned. It seems like it has a lot more of the aluminum bits as upgrades than the Rovan. Smaller, 32CC engine though. How does the King Motors quality compare to the Losi, Rovan?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks