Newbie radio suggestion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoogity Woogums

I've been running 1/10 scale for a couple of years, and I could do just about any radio and notice minor differences. But now that I have a 20+lb death/severe injury machine, what is the best radio and number of channels? The guy I got my baja from put in a killswitch and is running a 2ch Futaba. I'm eyeballing a couple of spektrum radios with avc and came here for suggestions.
The Futaba he gave me is okay, but the trimming is done with digital switches and I prefer the old knob types.

I have a Spektrum dx4c and really like the telemetry for rx pack voltage, temp Gauge can be handy for tuning. I have been wanting the new dx5r.

I prefer the accuracy of digital trim to the dial trim.

I plan on using the AVC for when I let somebody else try to drive it, and have it shut completely off otherwise. And the reason I have a preference of knobs is digital is usually in tiny increments, but knobs are a super fine tune, or at least it seems that way to me

downside to knobs is inquisitive minds though, I thought my 4 year old nephew screwed up my electronics when I let him drive my old rustler, he just cranked everything up

I'll have to look but my old JR R-1 had trim steps so you could make the digital switch steps finer or courser. Not sure if the 4c or 5r have that setting.

I gave up my Spektrum DX2L with my yeti in the trade for the baja, and it had a throttle range switch (L/M/H) and wish I could have kept it. It's discontinued so I'm on the hunt for something as awesome as it was. Is more than 2 channels necessary?

You don't need more than two channels but it can be helpful on some setups, and in the mid to upper range systems 4 and 5 channels are pretty standard these days.

2 channels will work.

IMO, 3 or more channels would be better....you can dedicate one channel to the killswitch.

Fyi, If you want to use a killswitch with full functionality and Spektrum AVC at the same time, you cant. When AVC is active on the SR4210, it takes 2 of the channels on the reciever. I don't think there is a work around for kill switches with this set-up.

upload_2018-4-29_10-21-23.png

Well, looks like stability control is coming from a heli gyro then. Can I get a solid recommendation for a decent but affordable radio? Trying to stay under $200

Last time I used a flysky it sent a 1/12 SCT into a wall at 50mph. It was my first machine and an RTR radio but it could have been my idiot negligence back then or the radio itself. It was the super generic one that's included in a lot of RTRs

True. I have a flysky gt3b that i still use for one of my rigs. I don't think you can beat it for the price...recievers are small and inexpensive, range is good.

My boys Rovan LT came with the flysky and I didn't care much for it, could never get it to save changes I made. I'm not aware of any telemetry setups for under $250.

I remember watching (and found again) a URC video where a guy reviewed the radio. It had insane distance (and everybody agrees) 8AAs is ridiculous. By the time of this post, are there battery packs for it now?

I'm really eyeballing that one for sure. My next concern is getting the killswitch set up on a new radio. What do I need to do for that?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks