noob questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PQRS

so im lookin to get into 1/5th scale stuff, our local track is closed now, so im going to sell my truggies and all nitro stuff and move on.
ive driven a baja 5b and didnt like it at all... all we have around here is hard packed dirt, and its dry! no sand. so a 2wd is useless in my opinion... so that leads me to want 4wd of course!
im not getting a baja, ive ruled it out even tho its parts support is top shelf. i just cant have 2wd...:no:

ive been looking around and i like the way the mcd 4wd trucks look. i like the weight forward design, i bet it turns great on slick surfaces.
but i havnt driven one or even seen one in person. hows the quality?
then ive noticed the fs clones here and there... they look exactly the same for a bunch less money. id bet that most parts are even interchangeable?

im not crazy about spending an absurd amount on an rc that ill never race or even beat on that hard, so im interested in these clones.
im even half interested in going onroad, it would decrease the likelihood of jumping it and breaking something!:clown:

so heres what im lookin at right now. id like your input if you have something to add.
im still working on selling 2 truggies, motors, etc.. so it'll be a couple weeks before i can order anything, id like to make a wise choice.

heres my top choice at the moment.

fs racing 4wd onroad, id try to raise it a lil and make it more rally.

38d8_1.jpg

comes with a pipe..

3871_1.jpg

38a8_1.jpg

heres the buggy version, but i don't see much different aside from longer rear shock, that roll cage, and wheels/tires?

509b_1.jpg

2094_1.jpg

heres a hi res pic of the onroad, click the link, then click the pic, its huge and you can see everything well!
BIG PIC!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/revoqprs/926621-1.jpg?t=1201489654

so i can get either of those at my door for $800.

ive looked for used stuff, but havnt had much luck... i cant see spending $700+ for a used truck?:no: i really don't care for the design of the fg stuff either, on top of that they are always 2wd.

if anyone is looking for some pro level truggies let me know! ive got a mugen prospec 5t, and a matrix arena FRE.

so help a brotha out and drop some knowledge on me!:cool2:

nice site by the way!:ph34r:

It is hard to tell with these fs clones because they are so new and not many people have them yet. I have done a bit of research on them too because I was also looking at getting one. From what I have read most people say the power of the 30cc is pretty good. Also almost everyone who has one say the electronics are junk. Last thing that I learned is that the quality isn't that bad. Not up to scale of the MCD but not bad either. Remember this is only from what I have read as I don't have one. Hope it helps

Check out the Clone section. I know it doesn't say it but thats where these are at too.:) I thought someone here bought a MCD clone just recently but I can't find it.:(

thanks fellas... ill check out the "clones" section, i didnt notice it.
radio wise i don't care what it comes with, i have a nomadio sensor i plan on running. ill finally get to use the speed sensor!:)

Check out the Clone section. I know it doesn't say it but thats where these are at too.:) I thought someone here bought a MCD clone just recently but I can't find it.:(

got a link to this section? i just looked and couldnt find it.... kinda embarrassed... lol..:clown:
ill look again...:helpsmilie:

i don't really care about any of the radio stuff... every rtr on the planet comes with crap, its expected! lol.. i don't even care about the motor really.. im more concerned about the drivetrain, chassis, arms etc...
if i get the onroad i would think it should hold up to flat parking lots?:clown:

i looked in the "other manufacturer" section... theres nothing in there related to this car.

ahh... yes, i saw that one!:)
theres no info anywhere on these cars? ive spent days searching with very little luck....:no: seems theres only 1 person retailing these things and hes in australia. seems like more people would be trying to push these, im sure theres a decent profit involved?

I see that you have an account on RCU. I find that there is more info for fs cars on that site. I even saw a review on one of the fs buggies. I also realized that there is only one person selling them so I emailed the fs company to see if they would sell one to me but I never got a response.

ya.. ive been lookin at rcu... not much info there either.:no:
these things must just be showing up or something?
so ya tried to contact the company directly huh? lol.. good man!:)

notice how people buy the mcd's and aren't afraid to come back and discuss them be it good or bad points.. but people who buy the clones disappear off into the wilderness without ever giving a review of the product or entering a discussion about them

well the people who bought mcds took a mortgage out on their house to buy it, so theyre committed! lol.. naw.. just kiddin. :clown:
i don't think theres that many of the mcd clones out there yet.... i have talked to a couple people that do have them and they love em.. but they get pounded at the forums because of what they have so they don't share their experiences.....

i cant believe all the drama i see at these large scale forums about clones.. i was reading at the baja forum about everyone fighting about it being stealing... i thought the large scale guys were "above" that childish type of talk? reminded me of rcuniverse!:nono:

so who drives a toyota? lol.. flippin theif!! i know none of those guys have every downloaded music of movies from the net... heaven forbid.

i felt like i was at sunday school bein preached to at the baja forum?

ive spent years on forums, and i run one with a couple other guys, ive never seen such a witch hunt?

are the large scale peeps generally this uptight? im not sayin this place of course, but the other sites ive visited?

kind of a drag....

in the truggy world we too have knock offs, but no one crys about them. theres 3 copies of the mugen 5t.. at least! the xut, castor racing, and the ocm... but no one gives the owners a hard time for it because we know that person would have gotten the mugen if they could have afforded it...
so to me its an elitist attitude that i see at the other large scale sites? it seems only the 1/5 people seem to care about the clones... but i suppose they did spend way too much money for their toy and it pisses them off to see others get in for much less.

i think these 1/5 scale toys are way over priced and they look under engineered? you cant tell me that a 1/5 4wd is a better platform than even the cheapest 1/8th truggy. stubby lil a arms, and poorly thought out aspects all over these big rcs? i heard some mcd guys getting excited about the fact that mcd is working on hinge pins for the suspension? why didnt they do that to start with? rose joints? just wait till the idea of captured hinge pins crosses their minds! lol... its like theyre a decade behind?

make me a 1/5 truggy and id be all over it! an onroad car with knobbies doesn't quite cut it...

sorry for the rant, but what ive seen at some 1/5 sites really makes me want to just keep my 1/8th stuff.
our track has a jump that has a 45' gap, and it puts ya 15' in the air... we hit that every single lap!! so for me to come to 1/5th id have to tone it down considerably..... i was told not to jump the 1/5 scale? kinda sucks....

2465a4d4471f80.jpg

heres a reply i received at a different site.. this guy has some experience with the fs racing cars..

"They are an awesome car as I have already imported a few from FS-Racing and I tell you they are worth the money! the Plastic on them look and felt alot better than any other 1/5 car I have imported from China. I was lucky enough to see the first showing of these cars at the Beijing Hobby fair in Oct 07. The 30cc motor should not be discounted, I am sure with a Zenoah coil they will rev alot harder and also they have a 4 bolt barrel so that makes the crankcase and barrel alot stronger, and I am sure these will be able to be modified a great deal more then std CY or Zen motors, being they are 30cc for a start!
My impressions of these cars as I have sold on & off road models and all customers are very happy with the std performance and handling!"

so thats positive, and this guy has touched one!:)

just look around and watch a vew vids. you can jump the 1/5th scales (the baja perticularly) like that without issues. one big differance is you cant use the throatle/brakes while in mid air to adjust the flight pattern like you can with the 1/8ths.

as the clone stuff goes. its a viscious thing, from the clone makers to the owners to the 1st production owners of the rcs being ripped off.

think of it like this, you make a zimbat. the zimbat took 1000s of hrs in R&D, not to mention 200,000.00 to even make the 1st production unit. so 3 months after you started selling a Zimbat, a chinese company buys one, produces it and is now selling it for 50% of the amount you charge for the orignal Zimbat. now how are you going to feel if you were the original designer of said Zimbat and you now have ZimBatz being sold at 1/2 price and your Zimbat isnt selling at all?

thats where the biggest sore lies in the clone/knockoff arean. now include the fact that the Zimbatz are no where near as strong or usable as your original Zimbat, ect ect ect... you see where this leads.

get the 1/5th, you wont be sorry. Most the MCD guys take the grief due to the cost they pay, but in reality, by the time you take a stock FG and turn it into a 4x4 and add the MUST HAVE hopeup parts to make it durable, they spent as much or more than the MCD guy did with his.

Personally the MCDs look nice for the cost. seems expensive but not overtly expensive. not when you compare it to a FG COMP F1 or EVO 07 or such.

do a google search for Baja5B Video and you ll see plenty. alot with KILLER JUMPS 50 plus feet and well over 10ft high without issues. You really cant do that with the others out there (FGS or clones alike) mainly becuz they were designed as a surface (constant) vehicle where FGs are concerned. and by the posts of a majority of the Baja Clone owners, they need to buy Genuine HPI Baja Parts just to get their clone unit partially up to snuff.

when it comes down to it, buying a clone usually ends up costing more then if one would of bought the original item.

now thats not to say all clones are squat. i hear the OCMs are pretty nice units in reality. but in the 1/8th world, almost all of them are similar and have interchangeable parts. my Jammin X1-CR FTE buggy is very similar to the Muegen and some parts even interchange, but the platform has been out for so long, theres only so many innovations that can really happen, and every company has been on them once a hint of something new is released.

now when you take the Baja in its 1/5th scale, its entirely new, the chassis, setup, layout, ect ect.. is nothing like any other 1/5th that was available at its release. the true BAJA clone is said to be produced at the same factory (in china) as the Baja 5B is produced and even the body shell is identical to the original RTR Baja. so this is where the term STOLEN is usually referred to.

bottom line we all love our RCs, whatever scale. the Majority of us Hate to see a fellow RCer take it up the bung cuz they bought a Clone and found all sorts if issues and problems that would likely not be an issue with the Real Deal. Specilally when we see them post up their 500.00 clone cost 500.00 in REAL Parts just to get what the 800.00 Original has the ability and durability to do.

ya the clone wars gets steamy from time to time. but keep in mind the Zimbat. now add a few problematic clones seeking help for their less than par clone and you can see why it pizzes peeps off. on both sides of the fence.

Find Bigger the Betters video page here. then look for the Baja vids. you ll soon see the Baja really can jump (once the method is learned) as far and as nimble as the 1/8ths, while only sacrificing mid air corrections. just means you have to hit the jump right to land it on all 4s.

i know the baja can be jumped, i was refering to the mcd types... i was told not to jump them. maybe the weight forward design makes them nose dive? kinda what i was assuming..

about the zimbat... henry "zimbat" ford didnt expect everyone to start making cars to compete with him. how about magnavox, didnt they make the first tv? did they expect samsung to be pumping them out for half the cost? decades later?

thats business... you can go make something totally unique and show it to 3 people, 1 of em will make one to compete with you... based off your design!

thats just how things work, china doesn't have the patent laws we do in the us, so theres no stopping it.. to say the quality is for sure sub par... remember that hpi pays those slave labor prices to make their truck!! so that makes them slimy bussines people too! they have the chinese making a truck they designed here, but its so much cheaper to have 13yr old kids assembling it!:no: shame on hpi and all the companies that do that! how dare them throw stones at some other children making copies of their stuff. hpi wants to charge ya more money for their stuff as if it wasnt built by starving children? thats dirty business.. consequences and repercussions of farming out work to china.. time to lay in the bed they made!

so i have no sympathy when i hear people saying that these clones are using child labor to make them.... 90% of what you and i have is made the same way.

this is way bigger than rc, this covers everything. as americans were greedy.. if "we" can get one for less we do.. also, if we can get one made for less we do... but we cry when that shady 3rd world country copies the product "we" willingly sent them to produce?

this goes to the ground levels of business in the usa.. weve all taken damage for our greedy ways. how many people do you know that have lost their jobs to poor countries? i have... have ya called your cell phone provider lately? could you understand a word out of that persons mouth? now just think what that person is thinking... they see our cell phone bills and its probably more than they made that month!!! so im sure they all hate us... lol.. of course they will try to snag some of the riches, we gave them the blue prints!:no:

ive got no sympathy for hpi on this one.. or mcd for that matter, i bet they have the chinese makin their stuff too! they knew that it was shady for them to have the chinese build the stuff for them but it doesn't bother them until they get copied? they should have kept the plans in house!!!
but even then the chinese will buy whatever sells well and make their own. i watched a company, rd racing get ate up by chinese knock off stuff.. it made me mad at the time for sure.
but thats life.... you cant do anything about it, no sense in seeing all these flaming threads everywhere. we caused this problem!!!:nono:

moral of the story... don't send work to the other side of the friggin world because your too cheap to pay an american to do it!!! its going to kill our country....:helpsmilie: to boo hoo about a clone rc seems petty if you ask me.

rant over! lol.. im not trying to argue with anyone here.. im just stating my opinion, not saying yours is wrong.:)

im just chatting....

Last edited:
heres a reply i received at a different site.. this guy has some experience with the fs racing cars..

"They are an awesome car as I have already imported a few from FS-Racing and I tell you they are worth the money! the Plastic on them look and felt alot better than any other 1/5 car I have imported from China. I was lucky enough to see the first showing of these cars at the Beijing Hobby fair in Oct 07. The 30cc motor should not be discounted, I am sure with a Zenoah coil they will rev alot harder and also they have a 4 bolt barrel so that makes the crankcase and barrel alot stronger, and I am sure these will be able to be modified a great deal more then std CY or Zen motors, being they are 30cc for a start!
My impressions of these cars as I have sold on & off road models and all customers are very happy with the std performance and handling!"

so thats positive, and this guy has touched one!:)

don't forget he's selling them - he never mentioned how they run, jump, stand up to cartwheeling or anything like that. Of course he's gonna give a good wrap - he's got a shipment to unload!

he also said the plastics are the best he's ever seen - but qualified it by the next line - for a chinese manufacturer. The hobby industry is not that large, why shortcut the good guy mfg's like HPI and MCD - the ones that did all the R&D for an exact copy that relies on the original mfg to supprt the cheaper clones with parts - none of these clone guys sell parts for their rides

Last edited:
don't forget he's selling them - he never mentioned how they run, jump, stand up to cartwheeling or anything like that. Of course he's gonna give a good wrap - he's got a shipment to unload!

he also said the plastics are the best he's ever seen - but qualified it by the next line - for a chinese manufacturer. The hobby industry is not that large, why shortcut the good guy mfg's like HPI and MCD - the ones that did all the R&D for an exact copy that relies on the original mfg to supprt the cheaper clones with parts - none of these clone guys sell parts for their rides

i hear your points.. but i think its an unavoidable thing? im not saying its ethical but it happens in every aspect of life.
but ive seen parts lists for these clones at oversized rc... i havnt tried ordering them or anything, so maybe theyre not available? i dunno?
im not trying to stir the pot or anything.. i see this is a heated debate everywhere. i understand how people can be upset about it..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks