Not a KM but close enough: Made a few upgrades to the Rovan 360B Baja

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit2013

Here is the stock form of the Rovan 360B (it is the blue one in the center). Out of the three Bajas in the image, this one is the poorest performer. Mostly related to the Rovan 36cc engine. The other performance issue is related to the short control arms. They are the stock length (same as the KM305-orange one on the right). For some odd reason, the Rovan 360B is a roll over king and yet it has front/rear sway bars whereas the KM305 has none. The one on the left with the black body has the extended control arms. It is just 1/2-inch extension per side. That made a world of difference. Why not get another set and swap the parts on the Rovan? It got to that point it was time to retire the Rovan 36cc engine. The replacement: ESP-Zenoah G340RC standard porting. This was also a good opportunity to do a full check on transmission and differential.

20220206_135714.jpg

I was not planning on creating a build log. Was not building this from scratch, just making a few minor upgrades along with an engine swap. Most of this was completed this morning. I opted to ditch the rear hubs, they will be donors to the KM when those wear out or get damaged. Decided on the 0-degree hubs as this eliminates a few weak areas and the ball joints. The upgrades are Rovan parts, so the change of components was straight forward. I have been running the extended control arms on another Baja which is working out well. Sure, the Fast Lane extended control arms would be a huge plus. Not sure if I am ready to go with a 1-inch extension per side just yet. Here are the stock parts laid out on the table next to the upgraded 360B.

20220625_093639.jpg
20220625_093656.jpg

I know what most will say on this next image. Ditch the dual exhaust. Perhaps someday I will give up on the dual exhaust. Just waiting for someone to design a decent rear mount exhaust that does not require ear plugs and robs performance. I have the same exhaust on the other Baja and that one has the Taylor 35cc engine. Well damn, that works well. Already broke in the Zenoah using the same exhaust as this is an engine transplant from the Baja that now has the Taylor engine. I have learned my lesson. The Zenoah has the outer-wears crankcase cover as well as on the pull-start just to keep the grass out. Also helps with the dust and sand to some extent. Since the clutch was basically gone, I replaced it with an FS metal clutch I got from Detroit Performance Rc. Taylor RC velocity stack with Ram Air Race filter. I had converted the stock clutch assembly a while back with a Turtle Racing HD V2 setup. DDM Racing 56/18 gear.

20220625_093646.jpg

Time to rebuild the shocks (thought about getting something better but if I did, it would go on the other Baja that sports the Taylor engine and parts). These are the stock shocks that came with the Rovan 360B. They almost look like the stock Baja shocks. The shock shaft is 8mm diameter, so they are a bit larger than average.

20220625_093902.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks