Nutech Thunderbolt 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipeous

This arrived today. I am just tinkering with it and checking things over. This is a pre production model so I'll have to work through a couple things as I go.

To start with first impressions...

The good
Biggest thickest shock shafts I have ever seen.
Helical cut gears are usually exclusive aftermarket items.
Tires are decent and sticky. Look like Crime Fighters.
Lots of aluminum goodies stock. All the important parts are allready covered
Servos are big beasts with built in heat sinks.
Tank is beef as is the cap and threads.
Lighter than I expected it to be.
Thick dogbones

The bad
Body seems kind of cheap. we'll see how it holds up. lucky it's a buggy and won't take much abuse.
Radio tray makes finding a battery to fit a pain. I like lipos with a bec, so probably going to have to get a custom sized lipo to fit. and not much room on the chassis. I have been placing a couple all over to see what I can do and scratching my head (decided to post some pics while I think about it some more)

All in all I can't wait to take this thing out for a burn. I took a couple pics beside mt FG VW. The FG has Firehammer MT arms so is actually wider than a stock FG. You can see the length and width comparisons. I took a side shot to show the balance and COG

I put the silencer on. I like how it angles out from the rim and it bolts to the rear bumper.
I didn't even add the zap straps as it's really secure
Took a pic of the radio too. It has dual rates for both channels, epa's for both and trims.

DSCI0001-1.gif
DSCI0002-1.gif
DSCI0003-1.gif

I like the way the steering servo is positioned. The gas tank looks big, you probably will get a bit of runtime with it.

The car looks good.

Chris

This buggy was sitting at RC Car action. I got it from Clayton at Vertigo and had it shipped to Dino at Jet Pro to make the pipes. Too bad I have to work today, it's looking to be a nice day. My luck it will rain tomorrow lol.

Here's some pics of my shoe goo/drywall tape mod to body. I strengthened the weak area and also added some wherever the body will rub to save the paint a bit.
Also a couple pics to show my radio box cut to fit the lipo and my foam body supports

DSCI0001-2.gif
DSCI0002-2.gif
DSCI0003-2.gif
DSCI0004-1.gif
DSCI0005-1.gif

Thanks James. I had cracks showing at the shock tower just from tinkering so knew it wouldn't last. I noticed when dremmeling the pull start hole the body is the same stuff as redcats so it needed something before it shattered. the foam is out of the way enough I can still take things apart if need be. I was going to glue to the body but thought it would make me fight getting it on and off.

Now if I can just get the servo problem sorted. Taking over the dining room table now to pop the opther bec in from the vw. if it still glitches then the servos are being junked.

and yup it rained this morning. I don't much care though. as soon as I have servos I am going to go run it a bit

awesome toy you got there. ive been thinking about buying one of these later in the year.

i want to start doing some research on them to check their durability etc before I do though.

sorry to change the subject but where would I get more info on thunderbolt 2.

i would like to know things like is there a standard and comp version, 2WD or 4WD, what engine does it come with. is there a no radio gear option etc.

thanks

There will be a pro comp version available. all bling. I have an all bling on road car coming. The models aren't actually store ready. Nutech just did the Nuremburg Toy Fair this weekend past. Production models have been shipped to distributors. I am expecting a few things as this is a pre production model. I allready told Scott at Vancouver Hobbies to set aside a full set of aluminum dif cases for me. Thing is parts and bling are cheap for this model and the mfg is making a ton of goodies right away. I have talked with the guys at Nutech, which in today's world is rare indeed, and they listen and write back. I like support and I like input. The bash videos showed they were tough, but support is important to me too.

Well I get up early today, we have a bash day planned. I prepped last night and figured out my servo problems (am running 2 castle bec's in parallel to power these hungry pigs.. going to hit the mouse button in a couple minutes and buy new servos) and now it's raining outside... arghhh I wanna play with my new toy. I will pronbably hit a gravel field and just go get wet.. can't take it. probably a trip to the lhs is in order too (maybe they will have some good servos and another bec to replace the one in the vw.

ok so my foam looks hack but it serves it's purpose :p I never claimed to be able to keep an rc on it's wheels all the time. I want to test it for durability

Took mine out to get it run today but the servo problem is still there. I got a video of it running anyway, but just sitting still. It tried to run away when the servos started tweaking so I killed it and did a video to show what the servos are doing... and it's doing it with all 3 radios I have. Am going to put this GWS servo I have in the throttle first and try it out. if not then I order some new ones tonight.

Pipe sounds awesome. Everyone around said it sounded like a dirt bike. I started it outside here a while ago and got the same. Bummed I couldn't drive it, especially watching my bud rip it up with his baja, but we took the electrics out on the bmx track. I'll put a link to the vids when my bud uploads them. for fun I tossed the 3s lipo in with my 5700 and was getting some serious airtime. busted 2 body posts, ripped the body up pretty bad and bent the rear shock tower. not bad for a day of serious abuse (that little ofna is one tough truck)

th_DSCI0001-3.gif

th_DSCI0002-3.gif

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks