opinion on a brushless conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasongtr

Just about to get my Baja 5b out of long term hibernation and as such will be spending some money on it, ive seen people now are changing the engines out for brushless motor conversions, whats the pros and cons of these, my newbie thoughts

1, less noise, but isnt that part of the fun of these that they have petrol engines?
2, faster ive heard, but mine has a 3 speed gearbox so that could be unlikely
3, run time? petrol engines can run up to an hour on a tank depending on use, batteries - how long do they last before they need swapping out or charging

anything else to consider?

I had a brushless dbxl and then trierd my baja5b ss brushless..both on 8s...(y)..and I soon went bak to petrol …:cool:..15-20 min run times r shite imo:poop: and I thk they both needed more then 8s.....:(…...unless u spend big bucks on lipos…..and a decent esc ..mgm ect…..I have vid of both..(y).….

I had a brushless dbxl and then trierd my baja5b ss brushless..both on 8s...(y)..and I soon went bak to petrol …:cool:..15-20 min run times r shite imo:poop: and I thk they both needed more then 8s.....:(…...unless u spend big bucks on lipos…..and a decent esc ..mgm ect…..I have vid of both..(y).….

15-20 minutes, not for me i think, if i get the car out i want more than that, just seen a youtube video and the baja on 8s was quicker but the gearbox i have would that that irrelevant, run time is much lower so thats a no and i think the noise albeit id want a deeper sound if possible is a cool part of it

u could get maybe 25-30 mins out a very good quality pair of 4s lipos but u b looking at 100quid a lipo easy for quality ones.o_O...until there's lipos which can do 40-50 mins on 1x charge and b sensibly priced.. then 1/5th brushless aint gonna b for me...(n)…..imo if u want a big rc brushless...look at a traxxas x maxx maybe.(y)....nuts fast on 8s and they r a beast of a rc...:cool:

Dudes petrol all the way the damage to the environment is already done lol plus we all started with brushed then brushless then nitro as kids right?

Gas 5th scale is the only way to do it therea so many variations in just one engine when it comes to performance tuning its technical
Compared to finding the right motor and esc and programming an esc why waste your time when you can tune an engine

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Dudes petrol all the way the damage to the environment is already done lol plus we all started with brushed then brushless then nitro as kids right?

Gas 5th scale is the only way to do it therea so many variations in just one engine when it comes to performance tuning its technical
Compared to finding the right motor and esc and programming an esc why waste your time when you can tune an engine

yaasssssssssss

Not quite..:unsure:....brushed/nitro/brushed..then brushless is taking over from nitros now imo(y)....brushless 1/8th 's ..absoultly love em....:love:....but 1/5th brushless:poop:...jus my opinion of course ;)

For me only petrol will do unless I'm building a futuristic car with GPS and autopilot etc like a land drone if it resembles a gas car then its gotta be gas for me

I would say If you have areas to run and store It, leave It gas If not go electric. I had a gas HPI 5T and FG, I live In NY In the 5 boroughs. There's literally no place to run a loud gas vehicle with out traveling many miles to run. It was a group of us with gas 5th scales we've been run out of parks, parking lots, factory areas, residential areas, there was just no where for us to run these cars without bothering someone. I stayed with the gas vehicles up until last year. I then sold the FG and converted my 5T to electric and brought and modified a DBXLE. For me the pros outweigh the cons. I can now run just about anywhere. I can run them out In front of my house at any hour with out bothering anyone. I can store them inside my house with out the gasoline smell, and they have blistering speed. The Cons are the cost, speed cost big with 5th scale brushless, that means running at least 12s(two 6s batteries with 4000-5000mah for decent run times Is costly) a ESC to handle that or more Is costly. I would only recommend MGM as they work great and are 1000X more reliable than the asian stuff, but they damn near are the cost of another vehicle, and a good powerful motor, which can actually be cheaper than the batteries and the esc. It's best to do what works for you. If you can run gas without any issue leave It. If not save and invest In electric.

ziq4wm.jpg

11k8r2a.jpg

2ni1w0k.jpg

aw74ag.jpg

[

I would say If you have areas to run and store It, leave It gas If not go electric. I had a gas HPI 5T and FG, I live In NY In the 5 boroughs. There's literally no place to run a loud gas vehicle with out traveling many miles to run. It was a group of us with gas 5th scales we've been run out of parks, parking lots, factory areas, residential areas, there was just no where for us to run these cars without bothering someone. I stayed with the gas vehicles up until last year. I then sold the FG and converted my 5T to electric and brought and modified a DBXLE. For me the pros outweigh the cons. I can now run just about anywhere. I can run them out In front of my house at any hour with out bothering anyone. I can store them inside my house with out the gasoline smell, and they have blistering speed. The Cons are the cost, speed cost big with 5th scale brushless, that means running at least 12s(two 6s batteries with 4000-5000mah for decent run times Is costly) a ESC to handle that or more Is costly. I would only recommend MGM as they work great and are 1000X more reliable than the asian stuff, but they damn near are the cost of another vehicle, and a good powerful motor, which can actually be cheaper than the batteries and the esc. It's best to do what works for you. If you can run gas without any issue leave It. If not save and invest In electric.[

Completely agree. For some people this may be the only way to own a 5th scale.
Yes gas motors are awesome as it adds to the fun of 5th scale cars and for most only gas will do.

I own both a tlt 5ive-b with a 29.5 obr motor and a brushless baja 5b with a castle motor and esc. I can only run 8s with this set up and I struggle to keep the front wheels on the floor as it is!
so for just bashing, in a baja you don’t need more than 8s in my opinion. Unless you go big bore I don’t think you would match the low end torque in the baja.

Now in something like a losi 5t or possibly TLR 5b 8s might not be enough due to extra weight.

For me 8s in a baja is the sweet spot with the rite gearing when you take into consideration the cost and ease of use for someone who struggle to run gas cars.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks