Painting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Any suggestions on painting a KM Kraken style roll cage with body. Looking for matte black on the body panels.

Is it easy to just add 2-3 layers of spray paint or is there a proper procedure I need to follow?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930-172511_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20220930-172511_AliExpress.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 11
In that case, I'm about 90% you won't get that true mat finish as clear panels you (typically) paint from the inside. I use a pre spray by spaz Stix, then paint. Seal with a backer, then shoe goo where I need to. You can still paint the outside, just be prepared for touch up when it gets scratched up.

In that case, I'm about 90% you won't get that true mat finish as clear panels you (typically) paint from the inside. I use a pre spray by spaz Stix, then paint. Seal with a backer, then shoe goo where I need to. You can still paint the outside, just be prepared for touch up when it gets scratched up.
Makes sense...got it👍🏻

I think wrapping will fo a better job?
Vinyl wrap? What do you think?

It seems like a better and easier option isn't it?

Wrapping sucks period :LOL: ....patience is a key word for it and I wouldn't wrap anything that's gunna get scraped up as it just won't last the abuse. The boat was ok as it was just water slapping the wrap but sand and abuse will just tear it up. Now graphics with a good adhesion promoter and it's own good glue will hold up...

Wants something that will last just hydro dip it and be done with it. Unless you are gunna drive nice don't get too sentimental with what the body looks like your always going to be disappointed after it gets hammered.

For getting your clear panels a matte finish I'm pretty sure Tamiya or one of the poly paints makes a clear matte that you spray over the outside. So you can have a matte finish and still spray your color like you want to on the inner panels

I'm sure OP painted his body by now but you can create a decently close matt finish by wet sanding the outside of the body with 3000 grit sandpaper.

20230110_122300.jpg
It's a bit duller looking in the picture. In real life its more of a very low-gloss/eggshell sheen. Though I'm not sure how well this would hold up in actual use after it gets some deeper scratches put in it after a few tumbles.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks