Picking a first large scale - looking for recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4ofus

I'm looking to make the jump into 1/5 scale and I'm in need of some direction. I'm not new to the hobby but have never owned something bigger than my Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3.

I'm looking for an off-road beast. Something 1/5th scale with gas engine preferred. New, used, RTR, roller, etc. are all options. I'd say support is #1 and parts/hop-ups are #2 on my list.

Currently looking at the following but willing to consider others.

Losi 5ive-t
Redcat Rampage MT pro
FID Dragon Hammer
Kraken Vekta

The last 2 are not readily available in my area so I may pass on them. Anything else to consider? Primarily looking for off-road fun, bashing, etc. No competition racing planned at this point but may consider it if I find something local.

Out if the ones listed I would say Losi 5ive. Support, parts availability and upgrades are abundant. I don't know much about the redcat. Vekta and Dragon hammer still really new...although I think the Vekta will have better parts availability and aftermarket support.

Out if the ones listed I would say Losi 5ive. Support, parts availability and upgrades are abundant. I don't know much about the Redcat. Vekta and Dragon hammer still really new...although I think the Vekta will have better parts availability and aftermarket support.

Thanks Whoduh! That's been the way I've been leaning so far with regards to choices. Truthfully I'd consider other options as well. Still looking at HPI and other popular models.

The Losi 5ive has been my top choice until I saw the Kraken and FID. Looks like there are a few other 1/5 coming out this year as well.

Just went through the same process and currently love my Vekta. Information is out there, and there is a growing group of owners that are sharing knowledge and building a community. Parts are available with no problems really (via tower, ddm and kraken) and upgrades are trickling out. Check out vekta5forums.com and the two active Facebook pages when you're poking around. I considered the dh very briefly but support and parts and an online community were lacking IMO. Plus I think the massive amounts of red is tacky. 2nd choice for me was the 5ive. 110% satisfied with my Vekta though, don't think I'll ever switch.

Thanks guys! I ended up going with a used 5ive that I found locally. Ultimately it was a $$$ decision. Saved $600-1000 over buying a new 5ive or Vekta.

It has very low run time on it. Looks like a UFO style air filter installed but the prior owner gave me the stock as well as some spare parts. Apparently he owned 2 and this one didn't get used often.

Thanks guys! I ended up going with a used 5ive that I found locally. Ultimately it was a $$$ decision. Saved $600-1000 over buying a new 5ive or Vekta.

It has very low run time on it. Looks like a UFO style air filter installed but the prior owner gave me the stock as well as some spare parts. Apparently he owned 2 and this one didn't get used often.
They are great trucks, and you can mod. them about any way you could like if the mood takes you. Had 1 in the family since it came out and the manufacturers just keep cranking out updates to keep it interesting. Like my 8ight and Ken Block WR8, they are all keepers.....

I'm looking to make the jump into 1/5 scale and I'm in need of some direction. I'm not new to the hobby but have never owned something bigger than my Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3.

I'm looking for an off-road beast. Something 1/5th scale with gas engine preferred. New, used, RTR, roller, etc. are all options. I'd say support is #1 and parts/hop-ups are #2 on my list.

Currently looking at the following but willing to consider others.

Losi 5ive-t
Redcat Rampage MT pro
FID Dragon Hammer
Kraken Vekta

The last 2 are not readily available in my area so I may pass on them. Anything else to consider? Primarily looking for off-road fun, bashing, etc. No competition racing planned at this point but may consider it if I find something local.
Kraken has all the support and upgrades or 5t is your best bet easy to work on designs were thought out .... don't know a lot about dragon hammer... that redcat is a headache..... brakes are an issue with it just built bad and a money pit

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks