Pinion wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808baja

Hi everyone, new here and need some help. Just got some new gears for my baja, Hostile 19/55 pinion spur, and the pinion doesn't seem to seat well. When I try to put it on, it's hard to push on by hand, and I need to use the bolt to get it on the rest of the way. Tried removing, then reinstalling, same thing it wobbles when I spin it. If I put the old pinion back, it spins true. Tried filing the pinion a little, to get it to seat with the clutch bell, it goes on easier but still wobbles. Is it normal to have to have to play with a new pinion to make it fit properly? Should I continue to file a little bit at a time till it seats correctly, or do I have a bad pinion maybe? Maybe someone else has had this problem, thanks.

I was going to post about this same issue. Im removing the engine from my new KM (first time doing this) and i noticed that the pinion wobles. Also the clutch bell a little too. This is a totally new truck.

I think I'm going to try the Vertigo v2 bell and pinion setup. From what I've read should eliminate any problems with wobble or broken bolts. If your clutch bell is wobbling then I would think maybe bearings or clutch bell as well. That sucks if is brand new and problems already. I got the king motor buggy with the rcmk motor, pulls really well. Had a few minor problems as I was breaking it in, nothing major, just upgrade as I go. My original pinion was fine on mine, just wanted a little more speed. Think I will just put the 17/57 back on and wait till I can get the Vertigo setup. Somewhere else had mentioned that there could be thread lock or metal shavings possibly between the bell and pinion, causing pinion not to seat correctly, might check that.

I tok apart the pinion and bell, cleaned both, and is now much better. Just a very small woble only on pinion. Maybe pinion wasnt well seated on bell, and not tightened enough.

Glad to hear that. When I cleaned mine it got a little better, but would still be tight with the spur gear every rotation.

I tough that i had solved the problem, but the woble is still there. So i checked again how it sits the pinion on the bell, and is not a level fit. So when you tighten the screw and the pinion sits on bell, is not straight, because it doesn't sits leveled on bell. That is the reason of the woble of the pinion. So i put very small pieces of tape on the bell only in the parts needed to level the pinion, just to act like a shim. And now the pinion turns straight, almost no woble.

If you want to check if the pinion is bad, mount it on the bearing, only pinion, no bell. Now spin it and see if it wobles. Another way is to assemble the pinion and bell, but without the screw, and spin it. Now tighten the screw and spin again. If it wobles after thigthening the screw, the woble is bcs the bell and pinion doesn't have a leveled fit.

Mine does the same thing. If I put just the pinion into the bearing, it spins true. Once I tighten it down, wobble again. My old pinion is perfect though, even after tighten. Must be the pinion is not correct. Do you think the paper will hold? I might give that a try.

I used that cheap tape, that looks kind of creamy faded yellow, that it tears easily, looks like made of some kind of paper material. It is like masking tape. Maybe i should have used a better one, jaja. Maybe you could try electrical tape.

A pic showing how i used the tape. Cuted small pieces in the same shape like the area where is placed.

Attachments

• bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the update and picture. When I get a chance, in a couple of days after Christmas and work Christmas party, I'm going to try that out. Merry Christmas by the way.

Hey Mike, finally got around to trying tape to shim my pinion. I had no luck. The wobble would never go away. Lost my patience, and put my old gears back on. I'm going to wait till after the holidays and get the Vertigo clutch bell with the hex mount. How did your fix work out?

Happy holidays to you too.

Sorry that the tape didnt worked. Have you located in wich side of the pinion base you need to put the tape? or hv you tried to turn it and put it to try it in both positions?

I was going to start it today for first time, but had no time. But when i installed the pinion after puting tape, looked a lot better. Also when assembling back the spur gear was more easy. Tomorrow i will do the first run, just hope that tape holds.

After checking other parts today, i found that i got a 3000mah battery, instead of a 4800mah has advertised on king motor. Also the spark plug is not a NGK, has advertised, is a torch plug. Now im in doubt if my engine is 30.5cc has it should be, or is the 29cc that came with the older versions of the king motors.

Im not sure how it works on a kingmotor, but when I bought aftermarket pinion and clutch bell for my losi I had to file down the pinion in the notch a little to get perfect fit. May just be a tolerance issue.

I'm gonna run my car tomarrow as well, gonna have some fun. I'll probably call on Monday see if they will take back the gear, maybe give me some credit for the Vertigo setup. Not sure what battery I have, but It did come with NGK spark plug. Just put in a new plug, NGK, as I've already broke in the engine and tuned carb. I got the RCMK 28.5 motor, and I'm really happy with it. Might just get a new pipe when I step up to that Vertigo clutch bell.

Jus came back from the motor break in. Everything fine. Actually, i kinda liked more than the dbxl. Tomorrow i will test again and try to tune the carb.

In between break-in rests, i used the dbxl. Had 2 very bad landings when trying to jump a small ramp, crash on pavement. I need to fix that suspension. It suks compared to the km.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks