Piston stopper (Make your own)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to sound too simple but the idea behind the piston stopper is to stop the piston right?

Why? maybe I'm the lucky one out of millions that I've never needed one for clutch or flywheel removal or refitting as the clutch bolt or the flywheel nut should never be loctited on. Do the nuts & bolts really get that tight on some engines?

I like BTB and Barry's ideas and they are cheap as chips but I would be tempted to put a bit of rubber tube over the bolt head.

Or use an idea I had.A length of cord....less strain on the bearings.
J

I would think when the motor is running there is more strain on the bearings then when using a piston stopper. When that compressed fuel air mixture is ignited it is one hell of a force on the bearings.

These are all great ideas in a pinch but no more then what a piston stopper coast and I am a tool freak I just bought one. :D

it's a nice idea with the plug,but maybe a very simple idea again is just use a full scale 'proper car' plug,it's much longer and will go down the cylinder further and stop piston too,just be careful not to damage the end of the plug or you can always remove the top of the plug and it will still thread in enough.in any case you never need to apply too much pressure as mike says they need not be so tight during assembly

These are all great ideas in a pinch but no more then what a piston stopper coast and I am a tool freak I just bought one. (Quoted by 46)

So am I.I bought one too!:eek:
J

well i suppose we all have a proper one now, it's more so for the time when you don't have one and you sit at the work bench with no way of taking off a clutch ))) i bet then we would like to read this thread with simple home ideas )))

well i suppose we all have a proper one now, it's more so for the time when you don't have one and you sit at the work bench with no way of taking off a clutch ))) i bet then we would like to read this thread with simple home ideas )))

That is what I said all of these ideas are good in a pinch.

I used my sock as a piston stopper.... it worked a treat! :D

What's the size of this lighting fixture tube. Just want to make sure I get the right size if there's more then one. Is it already threaded at the end or is that something that needs to be done

I was going to buy a piston stoper, but after this topic, I will not, just make one like this.

Thank you for shering

Regards

i wear welding gloves to hold the flywheel when i loosen the flywheel nut and an impact gun :D

and to pull the clutch bolts i just grab it with channel locks and undo the bolts, same for the clutch hub bolt...used to use rope but now don't even need to pull the plug

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks