Plastic engine head cover - ON or OFF ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyperpete

Hi all,
Simple question, this one.
Ive seen quite a few of the "bling boys" running their Bajas without the plastic cover thing that covers the engine head.
Is this a good idea ? What are the advantages / disadvantages ??
Thanks in advance y'all :cool2:

I don't have a clue with the Baja's but all the engines are physically the same design.The cowlings are there to aid cooling,if you don't use one, well,your asking for trouble Zenoah wouldnt put them there and spend millions on development if they were not necessary. .If you are running a billet head you don't need one.Simples!
J.

+1 James.

The flywheel has fins on it and circulate air up that cowling/shroud.

When you are sitting at idle and there is no air passing trough it, it is particularly useful.

I used to have the billet head that James mentioned and used it without any problems.

Chris

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had a feeling you would say this. I kinda thought it must be there for a reason. I suppose I asked cos I have just come from years of nitro where covering an engine head like that would be a no no.
I just thought maybe with the cowling off, there may be more air flowing over the engine to improve cooling. However it seems that engine temp and cooling methods are less important in the largescale engines compared to the nitro stuff ive been used to.
Does anyone use a temp gun on their CY or Zen engines (is that a really silly question ?? Haha) !!!!!
Cheers guys !

You'll love these motors compared to niros. Once you initially tune them, then just go out and race and don't worry about it anymore.

Chris

Yeh mate, both me and Pablo are LOVIN the large scale !!!!
I havnt put a screwdriver near my carb needles for months now ! Its ace!
When we used to bash nitros, we spent about half the time tryin to get the blimmin engines tuned right, and then topping up with fuel every 5 minutes Haha !
I shouldnt really slag them off cos if it wasnt for my HPI Rush Evo, I prob wouldnt have my Baja today !!
But the Baja is just BAGS OF FUN !!!!!!!

yea mate mines a tq sport and hyperpete used to run his st truggy , only thing i miss is how tuff they were ,they could take huge barrel rolls, backflips , pete learnt huge 8ft flips, hey he mite have a vid of it,

yea mate mines a tq sport and hyperpete used to run his st truggy , only thing i miss is how tuff they were ,they could take huge barrel rolls, backflips , pete learnt huge 8ft flips, hey he mite have a vid of it,

yeah i had some scarey moments with mine bud but came through every time :clown::clown:

try and fine the vid please bud would love to see it :cool2::cool2:

8th scale buggy racing is the best thing around here. They take a beating. F1's of off road. I usually hit the 8th scale track in the off season with my 5th scales. but this year I am not so sure I want to hit some of the jumps they put in this year hehe. no way I am covering 30-40 feet in the air with my vw...

Yeh I did enjoy the Nitros , when (quite rarely !!) they were workin well. My Hyper ST is the toughest RC vehicle I have owned. After learnin those flips, I then spent a whole day at a bmx track and THRASHED it to within an inch of its life, all day. Only thing I broke was my aerial tube ! Haha
I think the only vid I hav of the flips is a failed one !! 12 foot, 3 quarter flip to nose dive into floor !!!
Anyone know how to post videos on here ?? Will see if I can find it !!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks