Pocket quad rc conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipeous

This is not mine, but I have been brainstorming how to do one for a while, so my friend picked one up and came over right away. it was used, stored outside with gas in it, and didn't run. We cleaned it up and got it running and then started stripping parts off.

49cc 2 stroke. odd thing is they have a single fuel line and are gravity fed so the tank has to be mounted above the engine. I'll get more pics as soon as I pop over to my friend's place or he comes here.

I know he has allready welded up some independant arms for the front and used hind joints for pivots (big metal ball ends). the shocks are like tamiya friction shocks and no oil. I noticed watching vids on youtube that suspension is always a brick and they tip too easy. so we tackled the suspension first and pulled the rear off. took 2 of us to compress the springs and unscrew everything. wow compression. for the rear we took some redcat rampage springs I had laying around and compressed a front and rear on to the shaft and put it back together. now it has suspension travel... it'll do until we fab some mounts for next step.

on the front, since it's going independant suspension, we are going to mount a couple LST shocks there. eventually a couple lst shocks in the rear as well

well here's a start. I'll update later as we are going to hook up over the next couple days to do some more work on it... pics still uploading. not much more to say though other than a $40 project as a starting point is pretty cheap :D

100_0001.gif
100_0002.gif
100_0003.gif
100_0004.gif
100_0006.gif
100_0005.gif

i love watchen them on you-tube. they are bretty cool, but i have yet to see anybody do the needed suspension work on them. cant wait to see how this ncomes out.. what are you using for stearing servo?

Nice one Barry, you can get big servos for the steering from robotics places online or look for a tonegawa and run 11.2 lipo on it to give you 1000ozin of torque, i've seen the mod done somewhere...i'll have to try searching for it

Did you already build in the servo's ?? I'm on the same sort of project. But can't find a very good way to connect the servo to the steering mechanism.

He bought 4 of the same servos I am using in my semi. steering will have 2 servos mounted on a plate and use shocks with springs inside and outside the shock bodies on the shafts. this will also serve as a servo saver. just need some stiff touring car type springs. it's a similar setup to the 1/5 bikes.... direct from the servo horn to the shock and shock direct to the hub.

I'll drop by his place today and see how the welding is coming along.
here's the most recent pics
http://forums.rcpitstop.com/index.php?topic=14529.0

I have bought a 110CC quad. It 1 scale bigger then the quad in this topic.
He has a lot more weight so steering and braking will get there own problems.

I'm now busy to make some heavy duty servo's myself. Based on standard servo electronics. with extra motor drivers attached. Some big motors and gearing. Hopefully that will get me steering.

Braking is another fun thing. My quad has a liquid brake on the back Axel. But will get that solved to:)

Keep your guys posted!!
Daniel

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks