Preferred Lipo for electric vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trxrdr17

Hi All,

I currently have a set of Power Hobby 4S 5200mAH 50C and 8000mAH 100C Lipos that I'm not overly impressed with. I'm on the market for some new Lipos for my DBXL that require a good "C" rating.

Do people prefer hard case or soft?
Quality or quantity?
Capacity or quick charge time?
Any input on "true C rating?"

So I run gensacearespammers batteries. I have a few 50c batteries for my rock crawler, but the savage gets 90c min. Anything 1/5 should be at that rating as well. As far as charging 1c is kinda standard. Some of them can take more. don't go bellow 3.2 volts per cell.

I had both an electric converted DBXL and HPI Baja. I used to run them on Turnigy HD 5000mAH 60C 4S Lipos in Series (8S). They all eventually overheated and puffed up. I always had good luck with Turnigy lipos after running and owning hundreds of them in different RC's. I converted back to gas as I wasn't happy with any of the C ratings of the lipos available at the time. I would have loved to try the Turnigy Graphenes which are rated at 100C, but as I said, nothing like that was available at the time. The brushless motors always ran way too hot for my liking, especially off road in grass. I hate to say it, take it from a die hard brushless electric fanboy, Gas for 1/5 scale is without a doubt in my mind, far superior. If I were to go electric again, I wouldn't run anything less than 8000mAH capacity and 100C discharge. Even then, electric in 1/5 scale is just a novelty. Just fill up a tank of gas and run reliably for 30+ min at a time vs. spending hours charging up loads of expensive lipos just to run in 5-8min increments. No brainer really. Spektrum has some interesting lipos now, but that's $$$. Around the time I gave up on the idea of brushless 1/5, I was eyeing the Hobbystar 4S 8000mAH 150C batteries. They are a bit expensive, but still more reasonably priced than the competition. I've heard good things about them from the very few people that I know who have used them. Maybe that's an option? I have some HRB 6000mAH 4S 50C which I used in my 1/8 scale truggy and buggies. They seem to work just as well as the Turnigy's. They're about the cheapest you'll find online while still being IMO good quality. However, the C ratings still aren't high enough for 1/5 scale application.

Last edited:
imo with lipos u got buy the biggest mah ..c rating what u can afford /fit in ur rc?....I use turnigy blues soft cases.....zippy's ....mostly bought frpm hobbyking as there the best price i could usually find ?
......obv theres better lipos.?...such as gensacearespammers....smc's......power?..can't remember there name now?.....

While I am a gasser rc guy, ill toss in my opinion. Because I value it more than anyone else?. So, as for hardcase, I don't like it. I don't want a dangerous lipo being concealed by a case. I charge all my batteries at 1a or less to help them last longer. Never needed a battery quickly one time. As for the rest I have no opinion because I don't run much off batteries. Even the cheap ones work for me. Ive been pleased witb the reactions.

I run hard case in my rock crawler. Just account of there not being a box to protect it when something gets jammed into the cage. Everything else including my helis are soft cased. But they for the most part are protected better then the rock crawler. I agree with Bryan k about the turnergy graphines. They seem like they would be decent, I just cant get past the high price per mah. I have a few turnergys for my 450 heli, they work well. Only 3s though.

I figured most GP members were going to let me have it on this thread. I'm a gear head at heart, my current situation doesn't warrant a large scale gas RC. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a large variety of cheap 100C+ options. Hardcase is my choice for the wear factor alone, my hard cases show wear after 3-5 uses and I strap them in pretty tight. How do the soft packs stand up?

My soft cased batteries are completely covered in a box on either side of my savy xl. So other then the wires nothing's exposed. They've held up rather well for me (gensacearespammers) so far. This set is + - 2 ish years old. They don't get used hard here late.

Anyone know of an online vendor that has a great battery selection? Tower Hobby, A Main, and Amazon are ok, but there's no chance of sorting by "C" rating..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks