Project Baja V2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monster1-4

After being done with my custom XB project, I decided to rebuild my custom baja.

My custom shorty fuel tank has developed a leak so I'm going back to stock fuel tank. Which means new longer chassis. It will be wider than the one I currently have but keep the baja shorter than stock.

New fuel tank

Test fit on old chassis

Last edited:
Made a thicker (4mm) gear plate (stock is barely 2mm). I also made a transmission plate. All t6 6061 4mm aluminum plate.

image_zpsebfdnjko.jpg

The stock tranny plate is only 3 mm thick at the brake level which causes it to bend and create airline cracks leading to failure. Went with 4mm to increase strength.

Assembled

image_zps2or8slki.jpg

Wow. That thing is moving. Very nice work. Did you also cover the center of gravity being on the center?

Thanks!

I got it as close as possible to the center while keeping the weight a little bit on the rear for added traction.

My gearing is bit high 17/57 so I may try 19/55 and see.

Last edited:
Update

Needed a new set of tires and was debating between the hostile crushers and proline trenchers for 5t.

Decided to go with crushers so ordered:

- hostile crushers rear 5T for all 4 corners
- proline desperado 5t front
- hostile zero growth 5t front and rear

Then the next day, the trenchers were on the DOTD (deal of the day) at DDM. So I ordered a set. Should be delivered sometimes this week.

When I thought I was done with DDM, the next day they had the hostile MX nightmare on the DOTD. So I ended up ordering a set too. The way I see it tires will always be needed and while they are discounted might as well get them.

So first package delivered yesterday.

image_zpsd64nlxbs.jpg

Size comparison with half thread hostile MX nightmare. The crushers for rear 5T are very tall and not too skinny! Love it!

image_zpsc84hypd4.jpg

image_zps2m4pskrf.jpg

image_zpseg0hioqh.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks