Question about running LIPO in Baja

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillin4life187

So I decided to switch my baja over to LIPO power for the extra servo power and overall performance boost. Ive been checking out LIPO packs fo purchase and have one question. How does the discharge rate make a difference? Batteries ive been considering all vary from a 30C disxharge all the way to 90C discharge. What effect will this have on servo performance and battery life? Im familiar with lipo power since my 600 class heli uses 2 6S batteries. For helis it makes a huge diference but not sure about my baja. Is a 4000-5000mah 70C or similar battery excessive? Any input is greatly appreaciated. Thanks

That's the charge rate. The higher c rating also means you can charge the battery at higher amperage. I normally stick to 1 to 1.5 c rating. Although I've heard some manufacturers saying you can go much higher. There is normally a charge chart or amp rating on the packaging. At most you will have to refer to the web sight. I'll try to find a chart off one of my lipos here quick
Hope this helps
https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide
The first pic is one of my heli batteries. The second is off my killer bee I run in my DBXL

Attachments

• 20181127_224638.jpg
    20181127_224638.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20181127_224652.jpg
    20181127_224652.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
To confirm this is only to power the servo? The driveline is still petrol/nitro driven?

I would think just about any LiPo would do fine driving only a servo motor assuming you get the voltage you need and a mAh that will last (also comprimise with weight).

It used to be that you could use the C rating and multiply the the mAh value to get potential amps. Battery companies figured out if they lied with a large number in that C-rating spot, they sold more batteries. So now to stay competitive with the liars all companies advertise inflated/false values for their C-rating.

I personally think Turnigy batteries are a great value for the money. ( power / cost / longevity )

Example of battery false advertising:
My very expensive SMC LiPos are rated at 150c * 5 Ah (5000mAh) = 750 amps (probably a bit exagerated values there)
They are more likely around 80c producing 400 amps.
( I have generated over 300 amps with them but have not reached full throttle or had full traction yet...)

-Liberty

Last edited:
I have become hooked on Turnigy Graphene batteries. I don't think there are many ions of graphene in the batteries but the fact is that they are very very good batteries. I have been downright mean to a couple of them and still I have seen no bloat what so ever and no capacity loss. They are steep but worth it (when they are on sale, and they often are somewhere). Only downside, which means nothing to 5th scale, is that they are as heavy as pig iron.

The important thing to remember here is he doent need a super high C rating. Like @LibertyMKiii said your just running a few servos with the battery. Turnergy is good. I've had a killer bee in my rig
And have a few gensacearespammers for my hpi and axial. For my flight stuff I have a big old mixed up mess. Lots of tenergy and thunder power. The only battery I didn't care for is the venom I have pictured in my previous post.

C rating is basically used to calculate the load you can put on the battery without damaging it. Ex. If you have a motor that pulls max 40 amps and you are using a 1500mah 20c battery...1500ma X 20c=30 amps max output. 1500ma X 30c=45amps max output. So you would need the 30c to handle the amperage draw of the motor.
As Liberty said above ☝lol just saw that post. So yea pretty much any lipo will handle 2 little servos?

Thank you everyone for rsponding and throwing in some useful info. So for now, I bought a Venom 6v. 5000mah battery to run while I await arrival of my last Hitec servo. For lipo is went with the Trackstar that was on sale for $20.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-hardcase-super-shorty-3800mah-7-4v-70c-lipo-car-pack-2s2p.html

I also order the DDM 4000 mah 7.4 Volt Lipo from Daves Motors just in case I need the extra run time.
Got them both for less then $70 shipped to my door after discounts and sale. Hopefully they last a long time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks