Questions about the Rampage XT....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brio

Hi. I'm considering getting a 1/5 scale truck, the Rampage XT. From what I've been reading on here, it sounds like a pretty good gaser for a great price. I've had a few nitro RC trucks and they're cool(pros and cons of course) What I was wondering is can the Rampage XT wheelie, stock? I've seen video of FG MTs wheelying with jetpro pipes and the Rampage seems pretty quick with the DDM pipe but I've never seen a vid with the Rampage XT doing a wheelie. I love overpowered trucks so I'm just curious to hear from all you experienced 5th scalers. Thanks.

Fgs are 2wd so it is easier to make them wheelie. The Redcats are 4wd and are more stable and tend to keep all 4 wheels on the ground especially stock. They redcats are good vehicles for the price. Are they the best out there? No but you are also not paying top dollar either.

I just might have to ease my desperation cuz I don't think I can afford an FG. Ramp XT seems pretty decent for the price.

I'm with you on the expense of FG's.

Right now with the Redcats, there are a couple of cool items that may be coming out soon, primarily a 2 speed and a belt drive system.

You could probably get it to wheelie, with the right pipe, engine, and weight, but I think you'll be pretty darn happy with it as it is. I had a Firehammer MT a couple years ago that would wheelie. It was okay after a couple times, but I was more interested in it going fast.

I would check out the http://www.redcatrampageforum.com for some great info on the Rampages and some vids on the 2 speed.

New items from other manufacturers:

http://www.7075rc.flyingcart.com/ (alloy stuff)

http://www.demonrc.com/products.aspx (belt drive & 2 speed)

I recommend you go to the Redcat Rampage forums. The XB and XT are having a few problems. I was looking at the XB but until they fix a few things I am holding off.

kreb that is on these forums has had some of the same problems. I have read on other forums people having the same problems. If it was one or two people then I might think it was them not the vehicle but being so many are having the same problems I do not. Most of the problems there is a after market cure but on the rear diff housing there is not one yet. 7075 RC that makes the alloy hubs for over size wheel bearings that cures the well bearing problem said he might start making rear diff housing that will cure the diff housing problem.

kreb that is on these forums has had some of the same problems. I have read on other forums people having the same problems. If it was one or two people then I might think it was them not the vehicle but being so many are having the same problems I do not. Most of the problems there is a after market cure but on the rear diff housing there is not one yet. 7075 RC that makes the alloy hubs for over size wheel bearings that cures the well bearing problem said he might start making rear diff housing that will cure the diff housing problem.

How many is "so many"? Please, be specific in your assessment on the number of issues with the vehicles. Show some actual stats aside from a small RRF forum and RCU with what amount to the same people. I know that the Redcats aren't perfect vehicles, they need some upgrades, but the fact of the matter is they are ENTRY level 4wd's. Show me a large scale 4wd that is perfection out of the box at around $550. Please.

I am not going to spend a day trying to get up stats as I have done enough research to know there are problems. If others want more information then I recommend the do so research. Most that are having problems and reported them have been in the RC seine for quite some time. I am sure for every time someone reports a problem there are at least one other that had the same problem but never posted anything about it or just do not go to RC forums.

I understand these are entry lever vehicles but have to wonder how many just starting out in the large scale or even RC get them and do to the problems give the hobby up. I would think even if they have to charge a little more fix the problems and have a customer for life.

Now with that said I do not think they are total junk and they have a good platform. I would still like to have a XB and when they fix the rear diff problem or someone makes an after market part to fix it more then likely I will get one.

In the research I did much of the problem with wheel bearings and the diffs is they use too small of a bearing. That is why the hubs 7075RC makes use larger bearings and quire the wheel bearing problem. If you take a good look at the links I posted some one did research on the size of the bearing and found the stock bearings are inferior do to the size.

I am not trying to argue but just stating what I have found. What others do is totally up to them.

I am not going to spend a day trying to get up stats as I have done enough research to know there are problems. If others want more information then I recommend the do so research. Most that are having problems and reported them have been in the RC seine for quite some time. I am sure for every time someone reports a problem there are at least one other that had the same problem but never posted anything about it or just do not go to RC forums.

I understand these are entry lever vehicles but have to wonder how many just starting out in the large scale or even RC get them and do to the problems give the hobby up. I would think even if they have to charge a little more fix the problems and have a customer for life.

Now with that said I do not think they are total junk and they have a good platform. I would still like to have a XB and when they fix the rear diff problem or someone makes an after market part to fix it more then likely I will get one.

In the research I did much of the problem with wheel bearings and the diffs is they use too small of a bearing. That is why the hubs 7075RC makes use larger bearings and quire the wheel bearing problem. If you take a good look at the links I posted some one did research on the size of the bearing and found the stock bearings are inferior do to the size.

I am not trying to argue but just stating what I have found. What others do is totally up to them.

I'm not arguing, and I know you have been rc'ing for a long time, and I definitely don't question your knowledge. I do get that not everyone posts issues, but that can be stated for really any rc, correct? I understand that the bigger bearings could/would be better. But the fact is, that bearings can fail in rc's, no matter what size they are.

My thought is, if they give up the hobby because of a break down, these people probably aren't meant for the hobby. If they don't want to get their hands dirty, why bother? If the expectation is that they don't have to maintain something and the expectation is that everything runs perfectly forever right out of the box, they have the wrong hobby.

Honestly, I will eventually purchase the 7075 parts. I do like the idea of bigger bearings, especially on the front knuckles and rear hubs. Those are usually parts I replace anyway.

I wouldn't even say there is a real problem. The trouble Lighforce is having with his rear diff case is due to the track he runs on. It's really rough and he comes in and out of major bumps on throttle. I recently had a rear diff come apart but only due to a major crash on the rear end. I've been running my car since for 15 months so it took a while to bust.

Parts broken in 15 months on the XB:
1) 2x stock 19mm wheel bearings. I replaced em all with VXB's a loooong time ago and didn't have a problem up till I upgraded to the 7075 RC knuckles.
2) 1x CVD. I ran right into a HPI Savage at WOT.
3) 1x XB body.
4) A set of stock tires.
5) 2x front upper turnbuckes (dam cartwheels)

All in all I really haven't broken jack compared to what I wouldn't broken on my HPI, FG, or MCD. And yes, I own/owned multiples of all of those cars.

I wouldn't even say there is a real problem. The trouble Lighforce is having with his rear diff case is due to the track he runs on. It's really rough and he comes in and out of major bumps on throttle. I recently had a rear diff come apart but only due to a major crash on the rear end. I've been running my car since for 15 months so it took a while to bust.

Parts broken in 15 months on the XB:
1) 2x stock 19mm wheel bearings. I replaced em all with VXB's a loooong time ago and didn't have a problem up till I upgraded to the 7075 RC knuckles.
2) 1x CVD. I ran right into a HPI Savage at WOT.
3) 1x XB body.
4) A set of stock tires.
5) 2x front upper turnbuckes (dam cartwheels)

All in all I really haven't broken jack compared to what I wouldn't broken on my HPI, FG, or MCD. And yes, I own/owned multiples of all of those cars.

How bout on the XT truck, what have u broken so far?

I don't have the xt but i do have the rampage mt and i beat that thing like a red headed step child and i haven't broke anything just throwing that out there lol

The MT does not have the same problems it is only with the XB and XT. The MT is a totally different platform.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks