Radio & receiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonesracer

Any advice will be helpful. it's been a few years since i build a new RC. Looking for a mid range radio & receiver that i can use a kill switch on & will work good with losi 5t. Not looking to break the bank as i have a lot of upgrades to do. Just something decent . Thanks

You have many alternatives, even though the snobs will tell you otherwise Flysky and Radiolink transmitters are simple, affordable, tested and reliable.
Spektrum is the next step if you want something more advance with more features and better user experience/usability like the Dx5.
Futaba is the only end game radio you’ll probably ever have to buy and use until you retire, I personally am looking to get the 4Pm in the near future, but Futaba doesn’t fix your issue which is “not breaking the bank”.

Don't rule out graupner or Sanwa either. And as mentioned believe it or not the flysky Noble is an awesome radio for the price and has really good reviews.
I wouldn't rank spektrum as the middle choice but actually closer to the bottom/entry level, I've been burnt too many times by that stuff. But that is just my .02 worth.

I was looking at the futaba 4pm & 3pv. whats the biggest difference . can i run a kill switch on both?
I had a 3PV and it doesn't show receiver/battery voltage, doesn't have a timer (which really comes in handy with my brushless rigs), the menu system is not exactly friendly, and things like steering/servo mixing is very basic. There was a couple of other features that i like which it didn't have also. The 4PM ticks all the boxes for me anyway, plus you get 2x receivers which is a bonus

Last edited:
Don't rule out graupner or Sanwa either. And as mentioned believe it or not the flysky Noble is an awesome radio for the price and has really good reviews.
I wouldn't rank spektrum as the middle choice but actually closer to the bottom/entry level, I've been burnt too many times by that stuff. But that is just my .02 worth.
No good review on the FlySky Nobel from me, tried that radio also :)

Although it's a really nice looking radio packed full of features, I think the strength of the signal is rubbish When I took it to one of my bashing spots which is in amongst a whole lot of trees, and I have a sorta little circuit runing in/out/around the trees, my engine kept dying because the killswitch would kick in.
Obviously because the signal was interupted or interferance or something

No good review on the FlySky Nobel from me, tried that radio also :)

Although it's a really nice looking radio packed full of features, I think the strength of the signal is rubbish When I took it to one of my bashing spots which is in amongst a whole lot of trees, and I have a sorta little circuit runing in/out/around the trees, my engine kept dying because the killswitch would kick in.
Obviously because the signal was interupted or interferance or something
Good to know, kinda puts a shadow on how credible reviews are sometimes. Can't beat real world experience.

The Noble comes with micro receivers with integrated antennas that are meant to be used in small cars. If you use them in a 5th scale you’ll probably suffer what someone mentioned above. The radio warns you when the signal is low, so…

The Noble comes with micro receivers with integrated antennas that are meant to be used in small cars. If you use them in a 5th scale you’ll probably suffer what someone mentioned above. The radio warns you when the signal is low, so…
:ROFLMAO:

Nothing "micro" about the receivers at all, they come with 2 different types.....
One is huge, it has an antenna, and only just fit into the 5iveT receiver box. That's the one i had problems with
The other one is smaller, it has a built in antenna and seemed to work ok with my DBXLe, because it has no killswitch i guess

There was no warning of low signal, the signal was fine UNTIL it got a split second of interferance omongst the trees, obviously enough to trigger the killswitch.

Switched to Futaba, never any problems, and never looked back :cool:

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO:

Nothing "micro" about the receivers at all, they come with 2 different types.....
One is huge, it has an antenna, and only just fit into the 5iveT receiver box. That's the one i had problems with
The other one is smaller, it has a built in antenna and seemed to work ok with my DBXLe, because it has no killswitch i guess

There was no warning of low signal, the signal was fine UNTIL it got a split second of interferance omongst the trees, obviously enough to trigger the killswitch.

Switched to Futaba, never any problems, and never looked back :cool:
I meant small, refering to the little one with internal antenna.

The problem with futaba is not the radio but the price of each rx, I want to keep my fleet organized and only use one radio for everything so in my case it would be expensive to upgrade my 6 cars to futaba…

I meant small, refering to the little one with internal antenna.

The problem with futaba is not the radio but the price of each rx, I want to keep my fleet organized and only use one radio for everything so in my case it would be expensive to upgrade my 6 cars to futaba…
Hobbyking have the OrangeRX Futaba compatible FHSS receivers, they're 1/4 the price of Futaba (y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks