Rampage MT overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I’m asking for someone else,
So he has a rampage mt and fried the motor right after break in due to overheating. He claimed warranty and got another, fried again. So he went and got a 9.4 hp OBR. Now, he runs without the body, everything stock, and engine gets over 400 and loses more than 50% power. Drivetrain is smooth and absolutely nothing appears to be out of order. Tried the DDM pipe and stock can. Running 28:1 amsoil dominator. Now obviously, this isn’t just a coincidence of 3 bad motors. The tank gromet is leaking a little, but it was been sealed with silicone, but I doubt this would be the problem. So we are thinking it has to do with the car. We all know the gearing on the rampage has that weird setup. On this model the clutch bell has to spins really fast to get the wheels to spin really slow. Would switching the A and B gears help?. I mean nobody else has much issues with the gearing so I doubt it. No wrong ideas.
Thanks in advance

So he has a rampage mt and fried the motor right after break in due to overheating. He claimed warranty and got another, fried again. So he went and got a 9.4 hp OBR. Now, he runs without the body, everything stock, and engine gets over 400 and loses more than 50% power. Drivetrain is smooth and absolutely nothing appears to be out of order. Tried the DDM pipe and stock can. Running 28:1 amsoil dominator. Now obviously, this isn’t just a coincidence of 3 bad motors. The tank gromet is leaking a little, but it was been sealed with silicone, but I doubt this would be the problem. So we are thinking it has to do with the car. We all know the gearing on the rampage has that weird setup. On this model the clutch bell has to spins really fast to get the wheels to spin really slow. Would switching the A and B gears help?. I mean nobody else has much issues with the gearing so I doubt it. No wrong ideas.
Thanks in advance

The only thing swapping the A and B gears will do is burn the clutch.
29 : 31 is a good gear ratio.
Sounds like it's running way too lean.

Gearing should not have any affect on engine "overheating" . Theres also no way you could have overheated 3 different engines . Question how are you concluding that the engines are overheating ? What exactly does "engine gets up to 400 and loses 50% power" mean ? Your engine is fan cooled so even a lean tune should not overheat unless your running lean, and a high engine load at sustained high rpms and debris is clogging your fan shroud ports. Usually a lean tune will have very erratic rpms trying to accelerate. Too high a gear ratio will typically overheat the clutch only. This is another post where helping you is very tough without lots a specific details about exactly how the engines run .

Thanks in advance
Insulator gasket or manifold cracked. Carb gasket?

MTs are geared 25/35 because of the huge wheels.
I checked the Redcat forum and nothing on there about overheating except running outer wears.

No recycled parts
so nothing reused at all then ? not the same carb or owt like that i mean,
couple of ideas from me, fuel starvation, is the carbs bulb empty when the engines overheat?
could be starvation or fuel vapourisation (heatsoak)the hotter it gets the worse it gets,
bad fuel mix, is he sure he mixed the fuel right ? if he's used the same batch of fuel on all three engines then possibly way too skinny on the oil,
or he's miscalculated ml of oil to litres of fuel etc,
clogged clunk in the tank creating starvation at higher throttle position,

edit; i aint having a dig at yer mate with the oil thing above mate, but easy mistake to make if he aint experienced with petrol/gas engines (y) ,

Last edited:
so nothing reused at all then ? not the same carb or owt like that i mean,
couple of ideas from me, fuel starvation, is the carbs bulb empty when the engines overheat?
could be starvation or fuel vapourisation (heatsoak)the hotter it gets the worse it gets,
bad fuel mix, is he sure he mixed the fuel right ? if he's used the same batch of fuel on all three engines then possibly way too skinny on the oil,
or he's miscalculated ml of oil to litres of fuel etc,
clogged clunk in the tank creating starvation at higher throttle position,

edit; i aint having a dig at yer mate with the oil thing above mate, but easy mistake to make if he aint experienced with petrol/gas engines (y) ,
Yep back to basics. No reason 3 complete engines should be getting torched. Could also be a plugged exhaust issue ?‍♂️

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks