Received an HPI Baja 5SC and need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHPIGuy

Hello All,

Neighbor of mine was moving over the weekend out of state and decided to gift me his HPI Baja 5SC. He said he bought it to get in to the hobby about 10 years ago but only ran it a couple of times and then it just sat. He did mention that everything is stock (no upgrades since purchase) other than a basic tune pipe and that the "servos" need to be changed.

Since I've never dealt with anything RC, I don't know what I need to do to get this up and running again. Unfortunately he didn't have a lot of time to teach me either. I've been looking some stuff up but I don't know how reliable the information is, therefore I decided to ask for help here.
I'm thinking I need to replace the batteries and both servos but I am interested in getting a higher tier than stock parts. I just don't know what I'm looking for. :(

Also, I don't understand fuel to oil ratios? Do I use car oil, like Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic? It's a 26cc engine if that matters?

I feel like an idiot for asking to be spoonfed, but the truth is I feel like someone gave me a spaceship and said "it needs some work, have fun".

EDIT: Imgur Album for the curious:
EDIT 2: Parts I currently plan on ordering:

1. NGK CMR7H - Spark Plug
  2. Royal Purple HP 2-C - Oil
  3. Fuel Oil Mixer Measuring Cup
  4. Venom 5000 6Cell NiMh Battery Pack
  5. HPI SFL-11MG (Steering) + HPI SF-20 (Accelorator/Braking) - Servos

Thanks

Last edited:
2 stroke motor cycle oil....and get a mix ratio cup....any motorcycle/off-road vehicle place will have these. Any info needed will be in this site.....best of luck, and whatever you do.....enjoy it, have fun. ?

2 stroke motor cycle oil....and get a mix ratio cup....any motorcycle/off-road vehicle place will have these. Any info needed will be in this site.....best of luck, and whatever you do.....enjoy it, have fun. ?
Thanks! I'll see if maybe AutoZone might have something. I know there this a lawn mower repair shop I can probably check out too. If neither pans out, I suppose this would do: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PR5BQ ?

Also, is there a recommend or favorite brand for servos, batteries and oil that is better than stock options? A brand that gives it more power/umph/torque than stock? I was able to look on the Baja itself and the servo said SF-20, if it helps.

Reason I'm looking for a tier higher than stock is because this thing has been sitting for a LONG LONG time and I want to give it it's best chance at coming back, if that makes sense?

Hey there mate, welcome to the forum! So, first, is the engine siezed? To test this, see if you can turn the motor over via the pull start. Second, the oil you use is 2 stroke engine oil NOT car oil. There are a billion different ones but the ones I suggest are Amsoil dominator, Klotz Supertechniplate, motul 800, Klotz benol, castor 927, and there much much more good ones but to keep it short. Those are the most used ones. Also don't use weedwacker, Walmart, cheap 2 stroke oil, they're crap and don't provide enough protection. For oil ratio, type in oil mix charts and there u go. I run 28:1 ratio btw, also buy a ratio rite cup, they make mixing oil and fuel wayy easier. Now tips for the truck, don't buy into turbos or superchargers or boost anything cuz they don't work, don't buy rovan or king motor tyres or electronics they are crap as well, always use NGK cmr7h spark plugs because cheap plugs don't run very well and sometimes can fall apart and screw ur engine up. If I think of more I'll tell u ? can't help with the servos tho.

Hey there mate, welcome to the forum! So, first, is the engine siezed? To test this, see if you can turn the motor over via the pull start. Second, the oil you use is 2 stroke engine oil NOT car oil. There are a billion different ones but the ones I suggest are Amsoil dominator, Klotz Supertechniplate, motul 800, Klotz benol, castor 927, and there much much more good ones but to keep it short. Those are the most used ones. Also don't use weedwacker, Walmart, cheap 2 stroke oil, they're crap and don't provide enough protection. For oil ratio, type in oil mix charts and there u go. I run 28:1 ratio btw, also buy a ratio rite cup, they make mixing oil and fuel wayy easier. Now tips for the truck, don't buy into turbos or superchargers or boost anything cuz they don't work, don't buy rovan or king motor tyres or electronics they are crap as well, always use NGK cmr7h spark plugs because cheap plugs don't run very well and sometimes can fall apart and screw ur engine up. If I think of more I'll tell u ? can't help with the servos tho.
Thank you for the welcome, Z.hb71!

I really appreciate all the info in your post. I'm trying to make a shopping list and sure enough, walmart was one of the places where I thought about heading, lol. Thanks for steering me the better direction!

oh also on the battery, look at the venom 500mah battery, ive had one, theyre great https://www.rcsuperstore.com/Venom-5-Cell-6V-5000mAh-NiMH-HPI-Baja-Receiver-Bat-p/ven1506.htm
or u could do the ddm black magic 1
http://www.davesmotors.com/DDM-Blac...ver-Battery-Pack-for-HPI-Baja-5B-5T-5SC-.html
the venom is cheaper tho. were are you located mate? it would help so we can look at online stores that ship to u.
also, don't use cheap wall chargers for the battery if your trying to not burn ur truck down. i have this charger, its pretty basic but does the job just fine (y) https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...rophet-sport-nimh-35w-ac-charger-p-dync2000ca
one more thing (i know the list might be getting long but bear with me LOL)
to charge that battery with that charger ull need this adapter https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...MIn8GKq-mg4QIVC7XACh3TmAFDEAQYAyABEgKLP_D_BwE
also like evssv said, make sure it runs before doing servo upgrades or stuff.

imo see if it`ll fire up first....THEN decide/see what...if anything needs sorting..(y)......welcome aboard dude...;)
(y)no point replacing things if there fine atm.....
(y).....new battery is a must......as is new ngk plug.....poss fuel lines.....and obv fresh fuel @25:1 mix.......then if it runs fine......go to 28:1 imo....
The motor isn't seized but it "cranks" when I pull it. I haven't started it because I don't have the oil or the oil mixer cup thing to do it properly.
Fuel line is yellow and hard as a rock. I don't know if that's intentional with the stock set up, but I might replace it anyway.

were are you located mate? it would help so we can look at online stores that ship to u.
also, don't use cheap wall chargers for the battery if your trying to not burn ur truck down.

Currently located in Fort Hood, TX. I have Amazon Prime though, so if some items show up there, I'll grab it. Also, it came with a Dynamite Prophet Plus. It charges whatever battery it came with without any adaptors, however, I don't know if I'll need an adaptor when I buy the Venom pack.

The motor isn't seized but it "cranks" when I pull it. I haven't started it because I don't have the oil or the oil mixer cup thing to do it properly.
Fuel line is yellow and hard as a rock. I don't know if that's intentional with the stock set up, but I might replace it anyway.

Currently located in Fort Hood, TX. I have Amazon Prime though, so if some items show up there, I'll grab it. Also, it came with a Dynamite Prophet Plus. It charges whatever battery it came with without any adaptors, however, I don't know if I'll need an adaptor when I buy the Venom pack.
No the fuel line probably shouldn't be extremely hard but theyll work for the first start. Also, Amazon has awsome shipping but not the best selection, my favorite place is Dave's Discount motors because the shipping is inexpensive and their selection is great. Btw I'm also in texas ?

Okay, so I did some testing. I was able to charge the battery enough to see if the servos respond. The good news is that the accelerator servo (HPI SF-20) works. The bad news is that the steering (HPI SFL-11MG) is slow and weak.

If anyone has any suggestions on better, more powerful, ones please let me know! I tried to do a little digging on the web and found on a post from 2011 that stock are "okay" but exchange them for better Hitec ones when possible. 2011 is a long time so I'm not sure if Hitec is still the "it" for upgrades?

... my favorite place is Dave's Discount motors because the shipping is inexpensive and their selection is great. Btw I'm also in texas ?

(y) for TX! Also, I checked your recommended site and I never realized how expensive these little parts are! Like, seriously, HOLY poop. :oops::eek:

Okay, so I did some testing. I was able to charge the battery enough to see if the servos respond. The good news is that the accelerator servo (HPI SF-20) works. The bad news is that the steering (HPI SFL-11MG) is slow and weak.

If anyone has any suggestions on better, more powerful, ones please let me know! I tried to do a little digging on the web and found on a post from 2011 that stock are "okay" but exchange them for better Hitec ones when possible. 2011 is a long time so I'm not sure if Hitec is still the "it" for upgrades?

(y) for TX! Also, I checked your recommended site and I never realized how expensive these little parts are! Like, seriously, HOLY poop. :oops::eek:
Hitec is still very good. Also, yeah sometimes the littlest stuff is really expensive, it's kinda redicullous lol. Also good news that the throttle servo works!!

Welcome New Guy. After sitting for 10 years I'm certain that your engine will not start. The metering diaphragm and fuel pump diaphragm in the carburetor will be crispier than kettle chips. I recommend you get a carb kit. If you aren't ready or feel comfortable rebuilding a carb yet, then buy a new one. Which ever choice you make, you will need to remove the fuel lines from the carb. I recommend changing them right away since you said they are rock hard. I don't want to scare you but you may need crankshaft seals also. Before you start buying a lot of parts, let's get your engine running first. One step at a time.

After you get the engine running then start abusing that credit card.

Welcome New Guy. After sitting for 10 years I'm certain that your engine will not start. The metering diaphragm and fuel pump diaphragm in the carburetor will be crispier than kettle chips. I recommend you get a carb kit. If you aren't ready or feel comfortable rebuilding a carb yet, then buy a new one. Which ever choice you make, you will need to remove the fuel lines from the carb. I recommend changing them right away since you said they are rock hard. I don't want to scare you but you may need crankshaft seals also. Before you start buying a lot of parts, let's get your engine running first. One step at a time.

After you get the engine running then start abusing that credit card.
Holy Jesus, what did I get myself into ...

I took a quick peek at ebay and they sell the kit for $20? Or am I looking at the wrong stuff? I cant post links yet, if I do the post gets hidden until a mod approves.

You just got yourself into the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

This appears to be the stock carb
http://www.davesmotors.com/assembly-walbro-wt-668-carb-rc-use.html

Here is the kit.
http://www.davesmotors.com/walbro-wt-499-wt-603-wt-668-carb-rebuild-kit-k20-wat.html

I'd get both. Replace the carb and rebuild your current carb and keep as a spare. Don't let the contents of a carb kit intimidate you. Not every item in the bag is used or needed in most cases.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you get a kit, pick up one of these also.
http://www.davesmotors.com/188-12-primer-bulb-for-walbro-carburetors-fg-07373.html

Here is HPI's guide to 1/5 scale enlightenment
http://www.hpiracing.com/assets/doc...460_109959_wt668_fuelie_carburetor_110912.pdf

Last edited:
Welcome. (y)

it can be a bit daunting at first but think of it like this, you cannot break somthing that does not work. you can only try and fix it, but in most cases with this hobby you have the opportunity to replace and upgrade where possible 95% of the time.

I would recommend a new carb, spark plug and fuel lines as a start.

as you are new I would do as suggested and buy a new carb and a repair kit as there is no better learning process than stripping and rebuilding(y)

unfortunately if this is your first rc car than you have jumped into the deep end so to speak :ROFLMAO: but there is no better place to be!!

feel free to post some photos of your new rig as sometimes members can see something that you didn't. (y)

Last edited:
instead of thinking about the bad (like price), think of the good that will come out of changing the carb, fuel lines, crank seals, etc, I think it's good becuase you'll get the hang of working on these and you'll have sum experience under your belt, and you'll get to know your vehicle a lot better! sure it's expensive but in my book, the experience is always worth it. Its a lot like my custom engine build that I'm doing for my Baja, its really expensive but I have the experience and know-how, there are countless things like ignition timing, machining, exhausts, crankshafts, etc (mostly from the awesome, helpful members on this forum) I've learned from doing this engine build and taking apart my truck, it was expensive (going on $1,600 for this engine build) but worth it. also, don't take that engine build bit as "go spend a ton", I was just giving an example. One more thingy, DO NOT be afraid or embarrassed to ask any question you might need, No question is dumb ?

Just to add to what everyone has already said the Yellow fuel line is called Tygon. You can buy it at most weed-eater repair places by the foot. It is common for them to turn hard after a while and then they need to be replaced. The carb rebuild is a must and they are very simple to perform just watch the YouTube videos on the Walbro 668. For a Steering Servo look at the Hitec 845. If you upgrade both servos then you can definitely run a lipo receiver battery and get better performance out of them.

Just to add to what everyone has already said the Yellow fuel line is called Tygon. You can buy it at most weed-eater repair places by the foot. It is common for them to turn hard after a while and then they need to be replaced. The carb rebuild is a must and they are very simple to perform just watch the YouTube videos on the Walbro 668. For a Steering Servo look at the Hitec 845. If you upgrade both servos then you can definitely run a lipo receiver battery and get better performance out of them.
if ur talking about the hitec D845, those arent a drop in fit, they require a load of modifying to fit. i don't think hes ready for that

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks