reed valve system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i believe it prevents blow back thru the carb like a check valve,it's suppose to get better power band, and over all better performance, if i can find that locally ill get a couple to try out
i think OOKEY sell them on ebay im not sure though

First off, I believe to make the bolt on reed block work correctly, the cylinder need to be ported a certain way to achieve the actual benefit from it.
Buying it and putting it on any motor is exactly what everyone used to do when OBR used to sell them and they did NOTHING at all.
After all the testing and the few engine builders that know, finally realized after awhile, you need to port the cylinder.
Ask Bartolone Racing, he does the meanest piston port bolt on reeds in the world..
You can buy the cylinder and reed bolt on from him all done and install it yourself or send him your motor and he will do his magic so you can have what we call "the goods"

Also that reed block is from CHINA!! Whoooo NO THANKS!

Last edited:
First off, I believe to make the bolt on reed block work correctly, the cylinder need to be ported a certain way to achieve the actual benefit from it.
Buying it and putting it on any motor is exactly what everyone used to do when OBR used to sell them and they did NOTHING at all.
After all the testing and the few engine builders that know, finally realized after awhile, you need to port the cylinder.
Ask Bartolone Racing, he does the meanest piston port bolt on reeds in the world..
You can buy the cylinder and reed bolt on from him all done and install it yourself or send him your motor and he will do his magic so you can have what we call "the goods"

you may be partially incorrect, but having the engine ported as a must is not correct, reeds have been used on atv, outboard, dirt bike engines for yrs,all bascily a stock engine, and more then likely a asian continent built one at that, it's a matter of matching the right reed for the engine to big or to small nothing will happen,
i'm sure the engine porters in question above will do a mean port job with out the reed and still get the same results,

as i stated basicly it's a check valve, you wont get that WOT sound via the carb weather it gives you more torque,power or better fuel economy, unless your really gauging your engine and flow metering the fuel and doing everything by the no#'s, it will be a un-noticable difference

if you haven't noticed since you say china "Whoooo NO THANKs!" over 75% of you daily items from pens to tools to the plastic used to make straws thats used for your drink, or even almost every R/C car out there in one form or another comes from china or another asian country weather you like or not.
thats the world of free trade

you may be partially incorrect, but having the engine ported as a must is not correct, reeds have been used on atv, outboard, dirt bike engines for yrs,all bascily a stock engine, and more then likely a asian continent built one at that, it's a matter of matching the right reed for the engine to big or to small nothing will happen,
i'm sure the engine porters in question above will do a mean port job with out the reed and still get the same results,

as i stated basicly it's a check valve, you wont get that WOT sound via the carb weather it gives you more torque,power or better fuel economy, unless your really gauging your engine and flow metering the fuel and doing everything by the no#'s, it will be a un-noticable difference

if you haven't noticed since you say china "Whoooo NO THANKs!" over 75% of you daily items from pens to tools to the plastic used to make straws thats used for your drink, or even almost every R/C car out there in one form or another comes from china or another asian country weather you like or not.
thats the world of free trade

I agree. Ported or not the reeds will have a place. As to what place i cannot lay claims as im new to the small bore world. But i have been into 2Strokes my entire life. Thats around 27 good learning years messing with them. Even my 72 lawnboy has metal reeds with no porting what so ever. Thats my lawnmower for those younger than me ;(

porting for airflow isnt really the key here, porting really is the wrong word. our motors are a piston port 2 stroke, the intake port is controlled by the piston skirt. in a reed engine you don't want the piston to open and close the port, you want the vacuum created when the piston moves up to open the reed valves. bolting a reed kit on a piston port motor wont do much, if anything. the motor, specifically the piston, needs to be modified so the intake port is technically open all the time, but the reeds are stopping the back flow. generally when a piston port is turned into a reed motor the piston skirt is cut so the port has a very long duration. its not the most efficient way to have a reed engine as the ports arent optimized, but its the most economical. a better way is to move the intake port down on the case, think trevor simpson reed case motors.

2 strokes that has reeds from factory such as the lawnboy mower, dirtbikes, etc. already are designed as reed engines, not piston port motors, thats why they work without "porting"

porting for airflow isnt really the key here, porting really is the wrong word. our motors are a piston port 2 stroke, the intake port is controlled by the piston skirt. in a reed engine you don't want the piston to open and close the port, you want the vacuum created when the piston moves up to open the reed valves. bolting a reed kit on a piston port motor wont do much, if anything. the motor, specifically the piston, needs to be modified so the intake port is technically open all the time, but the reeds are stopping the back flow. generally when a piston port is turned into a reed motor the piston skirt is cut so the port has a very long duration. its not the most efficient way to have a reed engine as the ports arent optimized, but its the most economical. a better way is to move the intake port down on the case, think trevor simpson reed case motors.

2 strokes that has reeds from factory such as the lawnboy mower, dirtbikes, etc. already are designed as reed engines, not piston port motors, thats why they work without "porting"

I agree with all here. others that make the cases are Baratalone as mentioned and OBR.

There is no point in just slapping the reed valve system onto your regular PP.

Well you explained that a hell of alot better then I did, but it is exactly what I meant.
As for the Chinese made stuff, I agree with you, alot of the stuff here in the states are made in china and about 75% of it is made like junk.
The materials they use especially there aluminum and metals is out right garbage, the cost is great, but that is the problem, you get what you pay for.
I have no problem with china made products that are made at least to standards.

Great read guys !!but in truth will only try one if the guy on ebay does a group for say £30 each £60 is a little steep ..

i asked sean at obr about the reed valve, he said its not worth it without the head that is ported for the reed. after a pipe,is there actually anything for £50 that will give you noticable power?

i have two trevor simpson reed motors and i can tell you that they are killer engines...if you want more torgueand high end rpm it is the best solution...It all depends on the pipe you will use for best results....another good engine with reeds is the bzm motors....search youtube you will see many videos with reed motors and i am posting my first test on my monster truck...

Last edited by a moderator:

ya'll listen to this man. he hit it on the nail head. no reed valve porting, no gain with bolt on reed. its common sense 101. pp intake duration doesn't change just cuz there is reed valve on it. reed engines give more torque and more power across the rpm range. superior form of 2-stroke over pp design.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks