Restoring Losi 5ive-T OBR G290RC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripkon

I picked this Losi up at work and a new OBR G290. Its in ruff condition. I have started stripping it down to every nut and bolt. I will be rebuilding the shocks, diffs and cleaning plastics to make it like new. I have ran into a couple things that need to be replaced. This is my 2nd 5th scale. Currently have a Rovan 5b. I will also rebuild the CY 26cc, so i have an extra motor.

Truck
7JQ4XZe.jpg
soIvqwA.jpg
f5kGVRu.jpg
KfysNnU.jpg
nifW0O1.jpg
c0qn0Xr.jpg

OBR
8Om1UhD.jpg
18grdcn.jpg

Last edited:
I have most of the chassis stripped down and cleaned. I ordered new front and rear arms, plastic ball ends, wheel bearings, diff oil, outerwears (pull start and crank case), hinge pins, diff seal and hardware, Silverback v3 beadlocks, fuel line and filter. Once i recieve all of this i can rebuild the diffs and get it rolling on. I will be buying more parts soon.
Wn7HHmp.jpg
JcfSu67.jpg
BDbTQy9.jpg

Im going to order the side guards and the Losi Lipo upgrade.

Cool , I've done the same here stripped down, simple green and rebuilt everything. If ya have any questions feel free to let me know. Picked this up at 400.00 and sooo not there now. Almost too damn clean to run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. That's a great deal for 400$. Did it come with everything pictured for that price. I paid 600$ for mine with the new Pro Stock OBR 28.5cc and transmitter. If I do have any questions I will let you know. This is my first losi. One of the front arms and rear are cracked, but have new ones on the way. I'm putting it back stock for now and will upgrade little by little

I cleaned up more parts today. I should've ordered the inner beadlocks (may order them next week). Tires are cleaning up nice. I want to make this a low budget rebuild, so i really don't want to order new side guards or bumpers (they have a lot of wear). The gas tank is yellowish - Anyone know how i can whiten the gas tank? Hopefully TGN will mail my order Monday, so i can get some parts back together.

D0bUL9z.jpg
sMAkRV1.jpg
QxH8Mk3.jpg
jeGwwly.jpg

Hopefully it will be warm again tomorrow, so i can clean the body and roll cage up. Thinking about ordering a KM clear body panels - anyone used them? or know of cheap replacements. Also im looking for a good exhaust (about 150$ or less).

I believe i have everything cleaned up besides the truck body/roll cage and Diffs. The tires cleaned up very well. Has anyone dyed the stock Losi Rims? they are a grey plastic. Im wanting to dye them black. The foams are in good condition luckily. If you have dyed the rims please let me know the process and dye.

Tires and rims cleaned
R6o7LcA.jpg
nYywRjG.jpg

Foam
5c4LroI.jpg

Bearings soaking
5DXhr4y.jpg

Bumpers and side panels
rlgqy1d.jpg

DDM order came in today.
LdvIbUJ.jpg
osc8yHL.jpg
0JPAsBt.jpg

Outerwears Pull start filter on
fqTdzQr.jpg

Picked up the dye today. Going to dye the Rims tonight
nrv65W8.jpg
New Beadlocks will look good with the black rims
1qAni76.jpg

The bearing soaking, well more so outer rubber soaking. Nothing is done to the bearings besides protecting them from the elements, dust, dirt. Thats how I use to store the cylinder head lifters of a turbo application years ago.

With a x-acto knife one can remove the outer rubber seals, and then dip in oil. I have restored a few bearingsfull of grit, wash with wd-40, apply heat (repeat as necessary) and then some strong penetrating oil.

Which is something done on real guns, place them (without the rubber seal), in an oven or use a heat gun, then apply oil.

Thats a very good build, a lot of work, do appreciate for sharing your project and post pics for reference.

Here is a youtube video, it does work. Just to give you an idea, try to find similar videos.

I have done it on vintage paintball guns, but its been a while.

The rims came out great. Boiled water and poured it into the bucked and let them set for an hour.
Zx66ecw.jpg
UEwIKkw.jpg

Before
dYQmLiH.jpg

After
Bfjfiar.jpg
vFyFHqQ.jpg

Outerwears done
gVJdzdD.jpg
AKRvp0m.jpg

Thank you for the tips crankestein. This is the first RC build, so any info helps. I will do that this week.

I was hoping my last package would show up today from TGN, but looks like USPS dropped the ball and hasnt been updated. I have put together a couple parts.
Gy8T4Ec.jpg
M1a7qcs.jpg
MbXi6jz.jpg
koIcVTo.jpg
oaBolXl.jpg
vIbjTsk.jpg
QM4vHoA.jpg
BgPzWVs.jpg
WqHJJf6.jpg

Made a lot of progress last night. Its a roller now. Still have to attach some parts and screws.

PTmDXE6.jpg

All the diffs rebuilt with TGN gaskets
oW4yJDb.jpg
pTidMLs.jpg

rxEmMIa.jpg
kZmq3GD.jpg
pfscsrG.jpg

Its almost ready for the break in. Ordered a Losi tuned pipe yesterday and a battery charger. Need to get a kill switch, air filter and a couple other things.
wYTQQfw.jpg
gZQUhqV.jpg
tLxie85.jpg
6t3xQ74.jpg
J8TT0gJ.jpg
4PqZx9U.jpg

Received my Pipe yesterday and battery charger. Was able to get 4 heat cycles on the engine before it ran out of gas and was unable to get it started again. I believe i flooded? couldn't even get a pop or anything, so I'm getting a new plug today and going to mix some castor 927 up instead of what i was using.

NqNI1eW.jpg
pRGkEER.jpg
EmnmKqk.jpg
y9NYgXo.jpg

Modded a Volt meter in to monitor the battery.
tYvcjYk.png
467MrYc.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks