Roll cage for New Rovan XLT45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckrovan45xlt

Hello, I need your help please, I just purchased my first 1/5 . Rovan XLT45. What roll cage will fit it, and when looking for parts where are good places to order. No hobby shop near by. Thanks, really like this truck!

Based loosely off the 5ive platform, might look into those cages.

Go through that truck with a fine tooth comb. Loctite any metal to metal connections, make sure shocks/diffs have oil, and make sure nothing is bent/hitting/binding. As susceptible to heat issues as rovan motors seem to be, run it a little fat with good oil in it.

Also be aware aluminum a-arms like those tend to not be the strongest things ever, and big air will equal big bent.

Have fun, most of us will try our best to help.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

I think we scared him...probably returned that poop wagon

And what a poop wagon it was. Unfortunately the poop wagon is almost sold out and people that buy it never seen a quality product like a losi. They try and try to make the junk better just to prove a point but at the end losi comes out on top no matter what.

If I knew the quality that poop was, honestly I wouldn't even pay $50 for it. I rather have a toy rc from Walmart than the rovan.

And what a poop wagon it was. Unfortunately the poop wagon is almost sold out and people that buy it never seen a quality product like a losi. They try and try to make the junk better just to prove a point but at the end losi comes out on top no matter what.

If I knew the quality that poop was, honestly I wouldn't even pay $50 for it. I rather have a toy rc from Walmart than the rovan.
They really aren’t bad, your just one of those people with a closed mind set on the big name brands. Honestly the big name brands are ripping us off anyways, the expenses for materials, manufacturing, and labor aren’t costing losi much to make a truck that costs 1500 or so. Oh and not to mention losi vehicles are manufactured in either China or Taiwan depending on model. So people really stop calling rovan/km/30dnt “China clones” because they all come from overseas, and for all we know the same factory’s produce all of them. Maybe with different materials or with less strict quality control but nonetheless all the clones are built from the same blueprint.

All that being said who’s really ripping who off? I would say the big brands are ripping everyone off because there’s no way they have even half of their retail price into making the trucks. Their monopolizing off of us just because they can.

And that’s where the clones come in, they are made exactly the same but without such strict quality control, but they do run and move. And like others mentioned everybody is going to get a hair up their axx and start buying aftermarket parts and beefing things up no matter what brand. So at the end of the line chances are eventually that rovan is going to end up with the same upgrades as that losi and at that point they are both going to be as good of quality as the aftermarket parts that were put on.

One last thing, clone brands are not ripping anyone off. They are simply a generic brand much like Walmart great value Mac n cheese. Would you say that Walmart is ripping off Kraft brand because they both make Mac n cheese? No because it’s clear when you purchase it that it is not the Kraft brand.

True clones claim to be something that they are not, now if rovan etc. we’re putting out trucks with hpi or losi logos on them that would be different but they aren’t doing that. And IMO there isn’t a thing wrong with them making more affordable 1/5 scale vehicles. Maybe that will put a little pressure on the big brands to start pricing things a little more fair.

Oh and 30 degree north trucks are actually every bit as good as losi if not better. I know for certain that the 30 dnt body’s are way tougher than the Losi’s

It is what it is and what it is not it will never be. :oops:

My wreck in my avatar is the after effect of slamming into a wood slat fence, basically a wall of wood, or wall in short form. Full speed impact. Combination of King motor and Rovan parts. First thought it was a total loss.
20211126_232845.jpg

20211126_232908.jpg

20211205_121501.jpg

The parts I could not reuse did not include the front A arms. Just the front chassis plate and some of the bulkhead parts that are made of softer alloys.

20211205_125446.jpg

I am in process of rebuilding this, and I now know full well it is what it is and what it is not will never be. Chinese made alloys do not bear any ASTM /ANSI designations since that is an American standard base. England has their own designations but similar to ASTM/ANSI since the alloy classifications are very similar. What does China use? They do have some standards but not easy to interpret. Considering cost and RoHS initiative, what can be exported and classified as "Alloy" without any designation is simply called mystery metal. Not all Rovan parts are made by the same manufacturer. Rovan is just a US trade name as is King Motor. Most of the parts are made by various contract manufacturer's which is the reason why some parts are difficult to mate or may seem off in tolerance. My only concern about Rovan or other parts FID, TIT-racing, King Motor and Integy (may as well include RedCat Racing and its affiliated brands) is that it is not specified what that alloy composition is. Perhaps that is too much effort or has been left out to get through customs and RoHS. Most aluminum alloys contain heavy metals in their metallurgy (chemical composition) and would be banned from export if specific alloy specification is listed.) Then again, many of the plastics used in that industry also contain some nasty compounds.

I would not necessarily say it is garbage. The clones are similar but different.

Buyer beware is always the case. For beginners, Rovan King motor and the like are ok. Low cost and will perform well as long as you do not hit a wall like I did. Even for a clone, there still is some engineering practice but doubt it is extended beyond the basics of just reverse engineering. In some respects, there are hints of change but in most cases that is speculative at best.

Considering the topic at hand. XLT450, a modified LT450 with extended control arms with some extra bling with the alloy parts. A clone of the popular Losi 5IVE-T. It is what it is and what it is not it will never be. Losi 5IVE-T is a proven platform but made of mostly plastic, well that seems to be the case with most RC Vehicles. Still, I would consider buying a Losi 5IVE-T 2.0 at a higher cost than the Rovan XLT450 or LT450. Then there is Kraken Vekta. That has its pitfalls too as any other product in the hobby. I would have a difficult time deciding on Kraken or Losi as I have interests in both. Sure, I was interested in the XLT450 as well as the LT450 but is it worth the cost of ownership? Are any of them? Perhaps I take this hobby in a different perspective. Have fun while you can, and if you wreck it, rebuild it. When rebuilding, consider how one can make it better. That consideration may be in a different direction such as build your own with parts of known or stated alloys. The lower cost brands are simply just a starting point into the hobby. Heck, I built my own 5B Baja clone mostly with big name parts like RCMAX/Taylor but still have some Rovan parts in the build. Eventually I will make changes to my clone of a clone without any Rovan components. I am not against the brand or any other product. It is what it is and what it is not it will never be.

Anyway, after all that and you made it this far, think twice on what it is and what it is not. Yeah, my next RC vehicle will be a Monster Truck. There is something cool about them that sort of grew on me in the past months. However, it will not be a Losi, Kraken, Rovan or King motor. It will not be an FG, MCD or Dragon hammer. I want something that is more true to scale (ok the Kraken Vekta KV5TT does hold my interests), in other words I will be after the Raminator. To me that is what a monster truck is supposed to be. Appears to be more realistic than the squished bug platforms that most pushers are plugging as monster truck. Not budget friendly but in the long run, one would probably spend as much if not more trying to make something that is what it is and what it is not wil never be.
Hello, I need your help please, I just purchased my first 1/5 . Rovan XLT45. What roll cage will fit it, and when looking for parts where are good places to order. No hobby shop near by. Thanks, really like this truck!
There does not seem to be an option for the XLT in terms of roll cages. The basic platform of this vehicle is based on the Rovan LT. I would assume that the body parts for the LT would fit the XLT but after using such, the original body will not fit. The body of the XLT is its roll cage. You can search for parts on Rovan's website.
https://www.rovanrc.com
The only issue is that the XLT is not fully supported with aftermarket parts as is the case with its base model LT. I would inquire with the RovanRC website as you may get a response. I had considered the XLT450 as it did appear to be attractive in its offering. Rovan RC is in New York. the other affiliate is King motor. I have bought from both companies and got the parts shipped in one box.

https://www.rovanrc.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Another group or company website which is run by the same company for Rovan would be this one. Same physical address as the Rovan and King motor distributor. Fearless RC is more of a conglomerate of several brands under one banner.

https://www.fearlessrc.com/

Unfortunately, I think searching for aftermarket parts for the XLT will not provide good results. Most of the parts made for the LT, Losi 5IVE-T could be used such as the front and rear gear boxes that house the differentials and other parts of the chassis and gear train. As for the protective roll cage, nothing came up specifically for the XLT, on the LT is supported.

Last edited:
They really aren’t bad, your just one of those people with a closed mind set on the big name brands. Honestly the big name brands are ripping us off anyways, the expenses for materials, manufacturing, and labor aren’t costing losi much to make a truck that costs 1500 or so. Oh and not to mention losi vehicles are manufactured in either China or Taiwan depending on model. So people really stop calling rovan/km/30dnt “China clones” because they all come from overseas, and for all we know the same factory’s produce all of them. Maybe with different materials or with less strict quality control but nonetheless all the clones are built from the same blueprint.

All that being said who’s really ripping who off? I would say the big brands are ripping everyone off because there’s no way they have even half of their retail price into making the trucks. Their monopolizing off of us just because they can.

And that’s where the clones come in, they are made exactly the same but without such strict quality control, but they do run and move. And like others mentioned everybody is going to get a hair up their axx and start buying aftermarket parts and beefing things up no matter what brand. So at the end of the line chances are eventually that rovan is going to end up with the same upgrades as that losi and at that point they are both going to be as good of quality as the aftermarket parts that were put on.

One last thing, clone brands are not ripping anyone off. They are simply a generic brand much like Walmart great value Mac n cheese. Would you say that Walmart is ripping off Kraft brand because they both make Mac n cheese? No because it’s clear when you purchase it that it is not the Kraft brand.

True clones claim to be something that they are not, now if rovan etc. we’re putting out trucks with hpi or losi logos on them that would be different but they aren’t doing that. And IMO there isn’t a thing wrong with them making more affordable 1/5 scale vehicles. Maybe that will put a little pressure on the big brands to start pricing things a little more fair.

Oh and 30 degree north trucks are actually every bit as good as losi if not better. I know for certain that the 30 dnt body’s are way tougher than the Losi’s
im sorry what. mac n cheese. both those walmart and kraft brands are bad. like its not that hard to just make it with real cheese, how lazy can a person be and its so much better anyways. like what even is that in the powder ffs.
Oh and not to mention losi vehicles are manufactured in either China or Taiwan depending on model. So people really stop calling rovan/km/30dnt “China clones” because they all come from overseas, and for all we know the same factory’s produce all of them. Maybe with different materials or with less strict quality control but nonetheless all the clones are built from the same blueprint.
yea thats some bs right there they do NOT come from the same factory

are you a rovan employee undercover?

It is what it is and what it is not it will never be. :oops:

My wreck in my avatar is the after effect of slamming into a wood slat fence, basically a wall of wood, or wall in short form. Full speed impact. Combination of King motor and Rovan parts. First thought it was a total loss.
View attachment 80563

View attachment 80564

View attachment 80565

The parts I could not reuse did not include the front A arms. Just the front chassis plate and some of the bulkhead parts that are made of softer alloys.

View attachment 80566

I am in process of rebuilding this, and I now know full well it is what it is and what it is not will never be. Chinese made alloys do not bear any ASTM /ANSI designations since that is an American standard base. England has their own designations but similar to ASTM/ANSI since the alloy classifications are very similar. What does China use? They do have some standards but not easy to interpret. Considering cost and RoHS initiative, what can be exported and classified as "Alloy" without any designation is simply called mystery metal. Not all Rovan parts are made by the same manufacturer. Rovan is just a US trade name as is King Motor. Most of the parts are made by various contract manufacturer's which is the reason why some parts are difficult to mate or may seem off in tolerance. My only concern about Rovan or other parts FID, TIT-racing, King Motor and Integy (may as well include RedCat Racing and its affiliated brands) is that it is not specified what that alloy composition is. Perhaps that is too much effort or has been left out to get through customs and RoHS. Most aluminum alloys contain heavy metals in their metallurgy (chemical composition) and would be banned from export if specific alloy specification is listed.) Then again, many of the plastics used in that industry also contain some nasty compounds.

I would not necessarily say it is garbage. The clones are similar but different.

Buyer beware is always the case. For beginners, Rovan King motor and the like are ok. Low cost and will perform well as long as you do not hit a wall like I did. Even for a clone, there still is some engineering practice but doubt it is extended beyond the basics of just reverse engineering. In some respects, there are hints of change but in most cases that is speculative at best.

Considering the topic at hand. XLT450, a modified LT450 with extended control arms with some extra bling with the alloy parts. A clone of the popular Losi 5IVE-T. It is what it is and what it is not it will never be. Losi 5IVE-T is a proven platform but made of mostly plastic, well that seems to be the case with most RC Vehicles. Still, I would consider buying a Losi 5IVE-T 2.0 at a higher cost than the Rovan XLT450 or LT450. Then there is Kraken Vekta. That has its pitfalls too as any other product in the hobby. I would have a difficult time deciding on Kraken or Losi as I have interests in both. Sure, I was interested in the XLT450 as well as the LT450 but is it worth the cost of ownership? Are any of them? Perhaps I take this hobby in a different perspective. Have fun while you can, and if you wreck it, rebuild it. When rebuilding, consider how one can make it better. That consideration may be in a different direction such as build your own with parts of known or stated alloys. The lower cost brands are simply just a starting point into the hobby. Heck, I built my own 5B Baja clone mostly with big name parts like RCMAX/Taylor but still have some Rovan parts in the build. Eventually I will make changes to my clone of a clone without any Rovan components. I am not against the brand or any other product. It is what it is and what it is not it will never be.

Anyway, after all that and you made it this far, think twice on what it is and what it is not. Yeah, my next RC vehicle will be a Monster Truck. There is something cool about them that sort of grew on me in the past months. However, it will not be a Losi, Kraken, Rovan or King motor. It will not be an FG, MCD or Dragon hammer. I want something that is more true to scale (ok the Kraken Vekta KV5TT does hold my interests), in other words I will be after the Raminator. To me that is what a monster truck is supposed to be. Appears to be more realistic than the squished bug platforms that most pushers are plugging as monster truck. Not budget friendly but in the long run, one would probably spend as much if not more trying to make something that is what it is and what it is not wil never be.

There does not seem to be an option for the XLT in terms of roll cages. The basic platform of this vehicle is based on the Rovan LT. I would assume that the body parts for the LT would fit the XLT but after using such, the original body will not fit. The body of the XLT is its roll cage. You can search for parts on Rovan's website.
https://www.rovanrc.com
The only issue is that the XLT is not fully supported with aftermarket parts as is the case with its base model LT. I would inquire with the RovanRC website as you may get a response. I had considered the XLT450 as it did appear to be attractive in its offering. Rovan RC is in New York. the other affiliate is King motor. I have bought from both companies and got the parts shipped in one box.

https://www.rovanrc.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Another group or company website which is run by the same company for Rovan would be this one. Same physical address as the Rovan and King motor distributor. Fearless RC is more of a conglomerate of several brands under one banner.

https://www.fearlessrc.com/

Unfortunately, I think searching for aftermarket parts for the XLT will not provide good results. Most of the parts made for the LT, Losi 5IVE-T could be used such as the front and rear gear boxes that house the differentials and other parts of the chassis and gear train. As for the protective roll cage, nothing came up specifically for the XLT, on the LT is supported.
😂😂You’re clearly on a higher plane or in a different solar system in fact.

See you later mate.👍🏾😂

Not on a higher plane or in a different solar system. I just have not developed a negative bias yet.

I am grateful that I can participate in this hobby regardless of what POS I may be using. I will not bash someone because they bought Rovan, King motor or whatever else is out there. I will, however, share my experiences if I can help others, great. If not, I will remain silent.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks