Rovan 36cc engine issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit2013

The Rovan limited edition 360A (all aluminum) seemed like a bargain compared to the King Motor 002 I rebuilt with upgrades. The one in question is the blue one on the right. Made a few slight mods to include upgraded RCR brakes, Turtle Racing HD clutch assembly and black magic gears 18/56. Also changed the tires for off road use since it came with road tires.
20211221_142536.jpg

Lots of fun while it lasted. Broke one of the upper ball ends on the left front side. No big deal as I had spares available. Engine felt like it was getting slower, performance was not what it was. Not sure if this had any relation to change in fuel oil from the local brand (Lucus semi synthetic 2 stoke to the Maxima Castor 927) or if the clutch was going. The Castor 927 did seem to make a difference.

Decided to inspect the clutch and replace if necessary. Clutch had plenty of meat on it. Spring was tight. I changed it to see if there would be any performance differences. Also found the bird's nest under the engine cowl so cleaned that out. Did a slight mod to the engine cowl for easy cleaning purposes but it will still force the air from the fan over the engine head.
Decided to try the 16/58 gear set for smiles and grins or will it be tears and frowns. Tuned up the carb for better performance. Seemed like I needed to make the mix richer for the high needle. Had it all going well, I thought. At least for one tank or most of it until it died. Engine still rotates ok but compression on the pull feels a bit light.

Next day, cleaned it up with compressed air. With the mod to the cowl that was easy. Still have plenty of fuel in the tank to fire it up. Noticed the fuel was pooling around the spark plug on the top of the engine. Plug was tight. Engine would not fire. Removed plug and had no spark. It did not look very good either. Perhaps I was running it too rich. Changed the plug and got it to fire up. Then again, the fuel started pooling around the spark plug. Cleaned it off with compressed air since the car was on the bench I use for break-in and other things. Fuel was leaking out on the top of the engine at the seam that runs down the center of the head. It got worse while the engine was heating up. I do recall hearing a crack or loud pop when I installed the spark plug before this issue cropped up. May have cracked the casting. Not sure if the engine is the dual ring version. It is that chrome plated Rovan 36cc (came with the car installed). The other car has the same engine which will be coming out of it soon enough to make room for something different, so I have a spare. Need to look into the fuel leak on the head to confirm if it is cracked or is it bypass around the spark plug.

I am still new to this hobby. I was not sure what to get when I ventured into this. Rovan and King Motor were something inexpensive to start with as well as offered plenty of parts. The first one I bought was an Exceed Barca (it is the monster truck converted to a buggy, clone to the Red Cat Dune runner). Did not think this would be a good basher but it turns out to be one that I have yet to brake. It has a CY 32cc engine (I think, but it could be a clone of a clone). To be honest, I think it is much faster than the Rovan or King motor but may be due to lower mass as it is 10lbs lighter at best. I took the picture after fitting the aluminum roll cage at work (had to cut and bend the front section as it did not fit correctly since it was designed for the dune runner that does not have the dual steering servos). I did not have the exhaust on the engine. Yeah, those are the DDM wheels sized for the baja rear on all 4 corners. I have launched this one into a row of trees, took out my front yard light with it. Everything has held up thus far.

20211108_185429.jpg

Now I have a better understanding what this hobby is. Expensive. But at least I am having fun.

Rovan’s specialty is only 29cc engines and their 29cc entry bajas, everything else is just Meh.
I have had two 29cc engines from different gens and they are being updated and offer great performance for the price (one of them is 3 yo and is holding compression and running top)
The other two 36cc I have had; have been disaster, one gets incredibly hard to start every day it passes, (and I don’t consider myself clumsy, Im able to start the 29cc with a single pull every single time) and the other one’s cylinder walls are disintegrating for no reason)
Not to mention their LT line of trucks, while their bajas are superior nowadays to the hpi baja their LT trucks are the shabbiest most poor infuriating rc product I have ever had, (and I own banggood cheapos) they are a “involution” of the Losi platform.

If you don’t want to spend a lot; their 29cc or the 29cc fuelie are good to go, if you want top performers for the baja, the G290rc or the G320rc are the best for the price, most reliable and even more powerful than bigger Rovan cc engines, ie the g320 is even more powerful than a 36cc rovan.

Ps: I personally dislike so much metal for reliability and performance purposes on these cars (or any rc), it only increases weight (+ load on the engine and brakes, very different handling), more fragility (mass increases quicker than strength) and basically more vibration and wear throughout the entire vehicle.

Last edited:
The Barca isn't a Dunerunner.
The Barca is a close copy but is shorter.
Yep, you are correct. It is not a Dunerunner by any means, just a close clone. However, most (meaning most but not all) of the Rampage MT parts will fit the Exceed. All of the aluminum upgrades I purchased were for the Rampage MT/Dunerunner parts such as the control arms, gear box/bulkheads and steering linkages. The roll cage was meant for the Dunerunner. The Barca is basically the same thing as the Exceed Hannibal with shorter control arms. Rampage MT is a bit different due to position of engine (more center to chassis). I believe the parent company is Himoto RC since they have the same identical vehicle as the Barca but is called the Raptor 5XB and their monster trucks look like the Rampage MT. It is what it is. This was my first 1/5 scale purchase and was not all that informed what it was I was buying. Not a bad vehicle but there are better ones out there.

Yep, you are correct. It is not a Dunerunner by any means, just a close clone. However, most (meaning most but not all) of the Rampage MT parts will fit the Exceed. All of the aluminum upgrades I purchased were for the Rampage MT/Dunerunner parts such as the control arms, gear box/bulkheads and steering linkages. The roll cage was meant for the Dunerunner. The Barca is basically the same thing as the Exceed Hannibal with shorter control arms. Rampage MT is a bit different due to position of engine (more center to chassis). I believe the parent company is Himoto RC since they have the same identical vehicle as the Barca but is called the Raptor 5XB and their monster trucks look like the Rampage MT. It is what it is. This was my first 1/5 scale purchase and was not all that informed what it was I was buying. Not a bad vehicle but there are better ones out there.

The manufacturer is actually HSP
They build to order for the other companies.
I have 2 HSP Bajers which are the actual Dunerunner.
They are better than the Redcat in that they already come with alloy shock towers and a few other bits and pieces that need upgrading on the other models.
One is a 2WD from the 80s that a neighbour had sitting in his shed for years and gave to me.
A new carb and a general clean uo and she started first tŕy.
It is still running the original 25cc engine and goes great.

The manufacturer is actually HSP
They build to order for the other companies.
I have 2 HSP Bajers which are the actual Dunerunner.
They are better than the Redcat in that they already come with alloy shock towers and a few other bits and pieces that need upgrading on the other models.
One is a 2WD from the 80s that a neighbour had sitting in his shed for years and gave to me.
A new carb and a general clean uo and she started first tŕy.
It is still running the original 25cc engine and goes great.
Never had a Redcat. Some other forums had stated who makes Exceed. I believe that is himoto but hard to say. Some have claimed they are the same as the Redcat. It is what it is. Perhaps it can be polished if desired but for a front yard basher it is ok. Same with the shock towers, front and rear were alloy.

20211005_213133.jpg

I would not say it is the best on the planet. The only thing I busted on it was the roll cage and exhaust pipe. Never used the wheels it came with. Changed the hubs so I can run standard 24mm hex wheels. Not much of a change converting what was possible to alloy. a few ounces difference. Without wheels, vehicle weighs 23 lbs.

A pos it may be. That is ok. There is reason I built one from the ground up with mostly taylor/RCMAX parts. Was thinking of going with the outlaw chassis since I have most of the need parts to complete it. That will happen someday. Have to use what I got for now even if it is a turd.

Attachments

• 20211010_164925.jpg
    20211010_164925.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3
It's not a POS
Just needs some attention.
All I've ever broken is a rear diff drive cup and a wheel (wheels don't like gutter drains)
The head was loose from the factory and being a newbie I didn't check anything.
Just started her up and gave it WOT.
Hence the Zen going in.
That and upgrading the hexes as you have done are the only mods I've needed.
Replace the bearings with rubber sealed high speed ones when they crap out.
I get em from the local bearing shop.

Last edited:
Redcat, Himoto, Maverick. All made by HSP, just marketed under different names in different regions. Redcat USA/Canada, Maverick in UK/Europe, HSP Asia/Australia. If you look at model/part numbers, you'll find they're the same across all brand names
Yep all part numbers are the same.
I find it easier to find parts under the HSP brand.
If you search under other brand names they're harder to find.

I was surprised that not much changed in weight when I converted all of the plastic parts to alloy. I did get the alloy gear plate as well but was not on the car when I compared the weights. Only thing I ever broke was the plastic roll cage and stock exhaust. The catbox was what I got to replace it. That did make an improvement over the pig tail with small diameter stinger. I had considered converting this to a Monster truck. Not too fond of the gear train but it works. It was a female dog to take this thing apart. All of the screws going into metal had some sort of glue, not typical loctite. It was yellow in color and required heat to remove the fasteners, gears, etc. Since many have mentioned it is required to do a teardown to verify all screws are secure, swapping the plastic with something less prone to stretch or soften up due to heat from friction was the opportune time to do so. Could not find any screws that would have resulted in component failure. The only problem I encountered was with the front hub assembly. The alloy versions required the use of thrust bearings on top and bottom, found some on Fast Eddies site and they worked out great.

Still for a 4WD vehicle, the Losi 5IVE-T, 5ive-B, or Vekta would be a better vehicle. It was just a starting point into the larger scale.

I will jump onto the Taylor 35cc for my ground up build. As for the others, the Zenoah G320 with or without the 34cc stroker mod would be upgrades to what I have now. Blew one engine already but have not confirmed if the head is cracked yet. I think I still have my pressure gauges I have used long ago when I used to run at the drag races. Been a while since I ran my SVT Cobra at the track. Too many rule changes took place and did not want to wear a fire suit because my car has a supercharger on it.

Attachments

• 20211009_062522.jpg
    20211009_062522.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211010_164925.jpg
    20211010_164925.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211125_110919 (2).jpg
    20211125_110919 (2).jpg
    197 KB · Views: 7
Well for the new build project, I will pull the Rovan 36cc engine as it is not yet broken. Was going to get the Taylor 35cc but will wait and see how things progress with that new engine. Decided on the Zenoah G320 with the ESP 34cc stroker option. Considering I could buy two of those for the cost of the Taylor 35cc.

Once I get the Zenoah, I will tear down the suspected cracked 36cc engine. To be honest, I am not impressed with the Rovan 36cc engines. Seem slow off the line but does pick up. Ok for just light bashing but probably would suck on a track for racing purposes.
I am sure the Zenoah will be a huge improvement.

Not sure what to expect with the King Motor 30.5cc engine. Never ran it as I could not get it started and was impatient, so I opted for the Rovan 36cc. Probably a bad move. I believe I have the bug fixed so the KM 30.5 will get some use on the salvage project. I will use the Thor exhaust that came with it. Did not use it due to broken clamp (I busted it when removing it during the initial upgrade process).

I bought the ESP/+2 stroker g320/340 kit and I too was running the 36cc Rovan and was amazed how much more power there was compared to the CY 36cc…just can’t beat bang for the buck with that kit

Hi,

I’m having issues with a Rovan 36cc. Is this a kit that fits the Rovan 36cc?

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks