Rovan Baja 290qc Shorty starting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

I am having issues with my newly delivered Rovan Baja; what has happened so far.

1. I broke the starter pulley from just a couple a pulls. (fixed that)
2. My ignition coil was rubbing the flywheel. (I fixed it by using an old business card I don't own a feeler gauge.)
3. Still no spark; I had no continuity with my multimeter from the plug wire to the coil. (I fixed the little spring that is not making any connection with the wire. I chose to solder it and shove it back into the rubber elbow.
4. Now we have spark but still no start.
5. I looked up here on this site and compared some photos and it looked like my carberator Hi and Lo settings were all the way backed out. So I set it to default Hi 1.5 and lo 1.25 turns.

I am at a loss for what is next for this motor; it doesn't start. I welcome any advice; I will search more through this site, but my brain hurts, and I am having trouble searching the right keywords.

Some side notes my power to my electronics is all good throttle and steering; not sure if that matters in the diagnostic part.

We're you able to even start it? By the sounds of your post it seems that it's DOA :unsure:... I feel for you rovan guys and I get it the price point is hard to pass up but it really seems as time goes on these rigs are only good after extensive reconstruction with legitimate aftermarket parts.

My experience with a clone engine that wouldn't fire had a bad piston ring and it was losing compression. How does the compression feel when you pull on it? If you get it to run your just kicking the rock down the road for later.

What kind of warranty does rovan have? Have you tried reaching out to them?

rovans got 30 day warrantly or something like that... however in my experience Dan is pretty understanding and will work to help solve your problems even out of warranty in some cases.
We're you able to even start it? By the sounds of your post it seems that it's DOA :unsure:... I feel for you rovan guys and I get it the price point is hard to pass up but it really seems as time goes on these rigs are only good after extensive reconstruction with legitimate aftermarket parts.

My experience with a clone engine that wouldn't fire had a bad piston ring and it was losing compression. How does the compression feel when you pull on it? If you get it to run your just kicking the rock down the road for later.

So no, I haven't even gotten it started, and I was reading and might try a psi test through the spark plug port. I don't have a tool for that, so a trip to harbor freight will solve that. I wish I had the money upfront to get something better. I have emailed their technical department about what I have done so far to fix it. But I hope what I have fixed so far doesn't count against the warranty.

So update Rovan is sending my return label to have it returned and looked at by their team. If it doesn't start, they are going to refund me. I'll post again once I get more information.

Not to bump an old thread, but to post an update. I missed my window to return in due to life happening. But good news I am putting together a parts list with ddm to replace the motor with a Zenoah G320RC 31.8cc 4-Bolt Engine - Complete with Clutch. Still need to save some cash for it but soon as I get it ordered I'll post my progress.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks