Rovan Baja 5b Glitch-Fest!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

I took my new Rovan Baja 5b out to a parking lot for its first series of break-in and tuning runs and was plagued by both servos glitching badly. I do not know if it had to do with the location or my electronics.

The servos on the baja are stock. The transmitter I'm using is the Flysky 3 channel on which the Baja is the second vehicle.

Observation #1: When the engine is off, the steering and throttle servo work excellently. The moment I fire-up the engine, the glitching starts: both servos begin chattering and moving involuntarily. The moment I turn off the engine, the steering and throttle servo resume working smoothly.

Observation #2: At certain parts of the parking lot, the throttle and steering servo work okay with the engine running. At other parts of the track the glitching and apparent disconnects with the transmitter begins. At certain times it seems as if the model gets out of range, and the model wants to take off on its own. Luckily I have a kill switch installed.

I still managed to break in the engine, within a small area where I managed to be in control

Can anyone tell me what's going on, and what the fix to the above issues might be?
photo_editor_ds_1568482981627.jpg

Thank you. PEACE.

I have a Dynamite Kill Switch hooked in. At one point it crossed my mind that the glitching might be due to the kill switch being run along the metal frame. So, I disconnected it, and started the engine. Same problem: the glitching continued.
the rovan electronics have been known to be .....for the lack of a better term Sh!te(y)
make sure you get a killer bee .....and if you have one already do a test with it unplugged
see what your servos do(y)
sweet looking ride:cool:
Also, the receiver and transmitter batteries were FULLY charged.

I have a Dynamite Kill Switch hooked in. At one point it crossed my mind that the glitching might be due to the kill switch being run along the metal frame. So, I disconnected it, and started the engine. Same problem: the glitching continued.

Also, the receiver and transmitter batteries were FULLY charged.

Sometimes ,if there is metal to metal rubbing ,it can cause a glitch ,have you checked your clutch?
The only time that I ever seen a glitch was with the old AM crystal type radio ,when the antenna wire was too
close to the clutch bell on my nitro's ,an dirt getting inside the receiver!

we r now constantly surrounded in frequencys..?....sum areas more so then others so could well b interference ?...or jus shite leccys??
I just did a few runs in my street. The surprising thing is, there were no glitches. So, what you've just said seemed to be on the ball. Unfortunately, however, I'm very apprehensive about doing more runs in the street: Gawddamn thing is NOISY!!! LOL

I just did a few runs in my street. The surprising thing is, there were no glitches. So, what you've just said seemed to be on the ball. Unfortunately, however, I'm very apprehensive about doing more runs in the street: Gawddamn thing is NOISY!!! LOL

If it quits glitching as you run your ride ,then it maybe that your transmitter is too close to the rec. & running engine ,
now I also had that happen ,once the ride gets some distance ,it quits glitching!

If it quits glitching as you run your ride ,then it maybe that your transmitter is too close to the rec. & running engine ,
now I also had that happen ,once the ride gets some distance ,it quits glitching!
Interesting analogy and thanks. But now that I'm not at that parking lot, the servos and engine operate problem-free with the transmitter sitting right next to it. I have to conclude that there was something about that specific parking lot. Maybe there were dead zones. Lol.

I would try a different spot to run . Also you could pick up a Glitch buster on Amazon pretty cheap.
My receiver has 4 slots: one for the steering servo one for the throttle servo, one for the kill switch, and one for the receiver pack. The glitch busters I'm seeing on Amazon carry a plug. QUESTION: Where do I insert that?

My receiver has 4 slots: one for the steering servo one for the throttle servo, one for the kill switch, and one for the receiver pack. The glitch busters I'm seeing on Amazon carry a plug. QUESTION: Where do I insert that?
Buy a "Y" splitter, put that into were the battery would go, and then put the battery in one end of the "Y" and the glitch buster in the other.
Question, are you running a real NGK cmr7h? Or some other cross compatible plug? Cuz if your running a cross "compatible" plug, you could have got one that's not a resistor plug which would cause noise from the ignition to glitch out the electronics.

Buy a "Y" splitter, put that into were the battery would go, and then put the battery in one end of the "Y" and the glitch buster in the other.
Question, are you running a real NGK cmr7h? Or some other cross compatible plug? Cuz if your running a cross "compatible" plug, you could have got one that's not a resistor plug which would cause noise from the ignition to glitch out the electronics.
I AM running a real NGK cmr7h. Got a new set from Autozone.

ok then its something else
I have a hunch I stumbled on what MIGHT have been causing the glitchfest around my new Rovan Baja 5b.

Last night I was cleaning her up and decided to check the color of the tip of the spark plug. I fitted the spark plug wrench around it, and to my surprise I didn't need the wrench--that the plug was not tightly seated and that I could have screwed it out with my bare fingers. COULD THAT LOOSE PLUG HAVE BEEN THE CULPRIT? I will go back to that park and run it with the plug loose, then run it again with the plug tightly snug-down and compare the results. Fingers crossed.

I have a hunch I stumbled on what MIGHT have been causing the glitchfest around my new Rovan Baja 5b.

Last night I was cleaning her up and decided to check the color of the tip of the spark plug. I fitted the spark plug wrench around it, and to my surprise I didn't need the wrench--that the plug was not tightly seated and that I could have screwed it out with my bare fingers. COULD THAT LOOSE PLUG HAVE BEEN THE CULPRIT? I will go back to that park and run it with the plug loose, then run it again with the plug tightly snug-down and compare the results. Fingers crossed.
Watch out running it too loose. I would hate to see it strip the threads or something.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks