Rovan Baja 5B issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91300zx

Picked up a baja 5b this past week and did the break in no problem. Got my low speed dialed in and it was ripping. All of a sudden it just started revving high and barely moving and the engine died on me. Fired back up in a couple of pulls but the high revving stayed. I checked the clutch and it looks fine. The clutch bell looks fine I think a little bit shiny. When spinning the wheels they would rotate in the same direction so I decided to pull the differential and that looks fine as well although when putting it back together it feels tight and the gears are some what loud. Sadly I spaced it out to check the diff when first pulling it out. Before I throw it all back together I am looking for any suggestions on what might be the cause or what to check for. I also checked for broken pins, wheels, loose screws etc and everything looks fine. Any help at this point would be much appreciated. Thank you
30.5cc flavor if that helps any.

Attachments

• 20221116_161721.jpg
    20221116_161721.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That looks fine too. Maybe check the drivetrain. Start at the spur gear. Check dog bones. Is it possible the clutch shoe holder came loose behind the clutch shoes? Did you open the diff case?
Is the pinion gear on the clutch bell tight?

dog bones checked and are fine, spur gear looks fine as well. Pinion gear was tightly attached. Diff has been opened and I couldnt find anything out of the ordinary. Im probably going to tear the diff down, clean, add diff fluid, then reassemble and see if that does anything. Im out of ideas. I have not removed the clutch shoes yet but may check that now.

If you grab the clutch and turn it will it turn the engine over? Like clubin said it could have come loose slightly as that clutch holder is a taper fit to the crank and it depends on the pressure the bolt puts on it to grab onto the crank.

I had to order a piston stop tool and will remove the clutch for further inspection once that arrives. I thank everyone for the help so far. This thing was burning up the grass without hesitation before this started.

Diff has been rebuilt. Not sure what could have been wrong as everything looked fine. Maybe to low on fluid originally? I need to find the motivation to put the transmission back in. The cold weather isnt making me rush any.

Update: So before I am leaving for work I am tinkering about. Great news is I may have found my issue lol. Bad news is I took apart the transmission for nothing. Or at least practice. I will test it out later but all i had to do was look at my throttle linkage. For whatever reason it must have loosened and my throttle was only opening halfway. While installing my kill switch I just noticed this. Fingers crossed thats all my issue is.

Final Update: Lesson learned. When buying these clones double even triple check all screws are tight. The stop on the throttle linkage came loose. Appreciate the help from you guys. I can also remove the transmission fairly quick now lol.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks