Rovan engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota RC

I took the engine of the Rovan and after nine years, at least four of which were of heavy abuse. The piston and ring was also in bad shape, the ring was worn were the cylinder was damaged (the rectangle).Doc1.png

I was expecting the worst, but I too was surprised about it being that better of shape than I was expecting. After nine years, it was the only three original parts left on the Rovan, everything else was destroyed (the other two being the rear chassis plate and the top plate).
9 years of regular use? Or did it sit some of that time? If used thats not to shabby.
I would say of that nine years, maybe 1.5 years was lightly used or was sitting due to other parts damaged.

On pistons with a lot of hours on them they tend to develop excessive gap at the base of the skirt. Then you will encounter "piston skirt slap" and if you don't replace the piston the skirt snaps off and engine goes BOOM. 9 years on the Rovan and considering that minimal damage is a dam good service life.

I've gone through 3 Rovan/King motor engines during last summer alone. They were always the same issue. Piston shattered due to poor castings. Everything else seemed to be pretty decent. The head rebuild kits are super cheap, I just wish their pistons were better quality. Maybe their older stuff was better?

9 years is amazing, even for a more expensive brand name engine.

I've gone through 3 Rovan/King motor engines during last summer alone. They were always the same issue. Piston shattered due to poor castings. Everything else seemed to be pretty decent. The head rebuild kits are super cheap, I just wish their pistons were better quality. Maybe their older stuff was better?

9 years is amazing, even for a more expensive brand name engine.
Would a zenoah piston fit? It should no? That could be a cheap option for those with rovan motors.

More like $250 more, that's quite significant. (I'm talking CDN, not sure what that works out to in USD)

Yes a Zenoah piston or any upgraded aftermarket piston with the same piston ring size would fit.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks