RS four spoke anyone???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just find a place with a CNC controlled machine, Most iron workshops should be able to do it for you if you have a 3D CAD of the object.

This is what you are looking for

I have been considering getting one to make alloy rims with for a while. If I could just find a way to assess the market for such items. I just want to break even.

Thanks for the replies fellas, great information
Ill try that local one to me TDC. I know they are going to come in at a price but what price i don't know. Ill visit them on my day's off.
J

Yeah, having one offs done is not cheap. But maybe you can strike up a deal with a trainee at a place. They often have to present projects of varying degrees of dificulty. And maybe this project would fit that. Make a small copy of a known item. Takes skill. So he get to use you as a case and you get to use his skills at a reduced cost, no tax, vat and all that other nonsense.

I've just had a reply from the gent at Flintshire precision engineering and here is what he said.....

Hi James

Thanks for the enquiry

That is something we could do, as long as you have a CAD model of the wheel

Regards

Mike Reynolds

Hi Mike

Do you mean if I had all dimensions? If so I don't as there has not been anything done like this and I'm not too good at the design side.
I have include a few picture of the wheels in question and the sizes. The smaller ones are an exact replica of the RS wheels which I picked up when I was in Hong Kong and the white , larger wheel is the size I need.
Do you offer a design service or could you copy the smaller wheel in a larger scale?
Regards
James

Hi James

We don’t design items like this, so without CAD there isn’t anything we could do to help

Regards

Mike Reynolds

Well there we go , another dead end.

J

That sucks. Unfortunately, if things are going well they have the luxury to turn you down. I think him asking for a CAD file is his polite way of doing so. Usually, they give an absurd quote if they don't want the job.

@Thrasher has a good idea with it being a project for an apprentice. Another option is to try to present your project to an instructor at a Trade School. It could be a good job for one to four students. Just have to buy material for the wheels, some material for holding fixtures, and maybe a couple of two flute extended reach 3/8" end mills.

I've just had a reply from the gent at Flintshire precision engineering and here is what he said.....

Hi James

Thanks for the enquiry

That is something we could do, as long as you have a CAD model of the wheel

Regards

Mike Reynolds

Hi Mike

Do you mean if I had all dimensions? If so I don't as there has not been anything done like this and I'm not too good at the design side.
I have include a few picture of the wheels in question and the sizes. The smaller ones are an exact replica of the RS wheels which I picked up when I was in Hong Kong and the white , larger wheel is the size I need.
Do you offer a design service or could you copy the smaller wheel in a larger scale?
Regards
James

Hi James

We don’t design items like this, so without CAD there isn’t anything we could do to help

Regards

Mike Reynolds

Well there we go , another dead end.

J

He want's the .stp files which gives the CNC machine all the info it needs dimensionaly . The drawings need to be created in a program like Autocad or Creo and then saved as .stp . You need someone to create the drawings and files before you even think about quoting a job like that . For one offs like that I'd guess 75 to 100 dollars a wheel to make and thats just machining . That doesn't include someone to design them. They would be nice I admit .

@1Coopgt don't you work at a place like that?
Yes and no. We have machine shops to make a lot of proto type parts. I've designed a lot of fixtures that we have printed in plastic printers I'm not that good at it compared to some (still learning) . I could probably do a drawing of that wheel in Creo but it would take me a week where other guys at work could whip that out in a hour or 2 . Hell I get to have fun every few months making stuff in our lab running our mill .
Actually do a search for 3d proto type houses . We have used them at work a few time a couple of years ago . Thing to remember is 1 off stuff is expensive to make .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks