Running no shell, hpi baja 5b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAAace09

Does anybody here run there 5b with no shell, to me the design is just awful for collecting crap and directing it in to places you just don't want it, and it just holds heat aswell, especially the bottom part around and under the engine, i was thinking off getting the fully sealed chassis, tr v2 full clutch set up (sealed), and sealed pullstart, mesh mod on flywheel and custom made windows that are longer in length and a custom plate over the steering servo, i no your never stop it all but i think that will improve the issue drasticly, i no some people will say why bother, but i don't like it anyways, i love to custom parts and i think it will look and hopfully perform better

I have pretty good luck running the Kraken x3 chassis as it has no holes and the RB full motor/ recoil filter duckwork system with a nitro 1/8 scale outerwears precleaner skin on the cone paper filter on back of recoil. The motor sucks NOTHING around it and chassis and under motor does not get any grass , dirt nothing. and I only run a small front clip of front body from foremost side posts foward. The motor stays spotless inside the fan shroud area . I run the red race 2 and it has its own air duct plate and smaller fan and with all this crap on engine it it still moves a ton of air over cylinder and the filter skin on paper cone element sheds all grass and dirt as chassis is jarred around, Never had to clean it yet.

I have pretty good luck running the Kraken x3 chassis as it has no holes and the RB full motor/ recoil filter duckwork system with a nitro 1/8 scale outerwears precleaner skin on the cone paper filter on back of recoil. The motor sucks NOTHING around it and chassis and under motor does not get any grass , dirt nothing. and I only run a small front clip of front body from foremost side posts foward. The motor stays spotless inside the fan shroud area . I run the red race 2 and it has its own air duct plate and smaller fan and with all this crap on engine it it still moves a ton of air over cylinder and the filter skin on paper cone element sheds all grass and dirt as chassis is jarred around, Never had to clean it yet.
Got ant pics there mate ??

@FAAace09 it won't matter if you run body on or body off, closed chassis vs. open chassis. You're car is gonna get dirty ugly! Just a fact of life. I'm running a 5T and the body is basically just a roll cage around the chassis. The real quality nasty bits will always find a way in, especially under the damn motor!

But you're definitely on the right track! Mesh mod your crank case and either Outerwares or mesh mod your pullstart/flywheel. Keep the big gritties out of that bit of the motor to keep it alive. The TR pull start is a nice piece of bling, but I think you can spend that money elsewhere for a higher impact on your fun. That's completely up to your taste.

I'm a big fan of TR's clutch systems. I'm running the racing (open) version myself. I think the closed system will likely only benefit you if you are running in sand. I've never had an issue with the open system gathering dirt. I run in high weeds, grass and on a dirt track. But again, it's your money, you spend it how you want! You can't go wrong with TR clutches, no matter which you choose.

I can't speak to the Kraken X3 Chassis. But it might be an option for you. They're highly rated for durability. I've bashed the everloving hell out of my stock 5T chassis, with nary a hiccup. I just have to clean it every few runs. But wrenching and cleaning after a gnarly run is just a part of the fun for me.

I will NEVER recommend using a paper or cotton air filter in an off road rig. Both will work just fine on-road to an extent, but they only offer a single, thin, layer of filtration. Dual foam filters empregnated with oil is the only way to protect your motor in dusty, dirty conditions. Use an outerwares pre filter if you want to keep the big bits out, but if you want your motor to last, always use oiled foam under it.

If you do end up making some mods, please post pics! We love pics of build around here!

You better lookup the RB filter system for the air cooling system of engine before ya bark about something you just did not read close enough to make the right reply

Pics pics pics please I hate grass I haven't even mesh nodded my crankcase yet just the pullstart I'm trying to find a way to stop grass getting in my Baja without taking my engine out last resort is araldite and mesh or outerwears but I want a way to keep grass out of the chasis engine area

Attachments

• 20190801_084248.jpg
    20190801_084248.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 33
www.rbinnovations.com Pull Start Filter System .... watch the video on how fast he puts this system on motor. now stop your crying!
Pics pics pics please I hate grass I haven't even mesh nodded my crankcase yet just the pullstart I'm trying to find a way to stop grass getting in my Baja without taking my engine out last resort is araldite and mesh or outerwears but I want a way to keep grass out of the chasis engine area
did you have to mess with roll cage for that body to fit ? It looks like it would work great in winter to ice race on lake and with all windows and scoop vents closed up it would hold a little heat in when 10 degrees out....

Last edited:
That's an interesting idea, I'd like to see temp reading with and without it. Your losing a ton of surface area installing it. But it would deffinatly keep your engine cleaner. The only real concern I would have is the filter is right there at rear wheel on a baja could easily fill it full of crud.

www.rbinnovations.com Pull Start Filter System .... watch the video on how fast he puts this system on motor. now stop your crying!

did you have to mess with roll cage for that body to fit ? It looks like it would work great in winter to ice race on lake and with all windows and scoop vents closed up it would hold a little heat in when 10 degrees out....
Might have to get me one

Link doesn't work . Why the hell are you being so agressive over a damn air filter? Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. Opinions don't make a person right .

That's an interesting idea, I'd like to see temp reading with and without it. Your losing a ton of surface area installing it. But it would deffinatly keep your engine cleaner. The only real concern I would have is the filter is right there at rear wheel on a baja could easily fill it full of crud.
every second you run engines with mesh mods or filter fabric the air flow goes down.This system flows a ton of air, More than any flywheel will pull! . I put a skin on the systems filter and the dirt and grass falls right off. stays pretty darn clean for being by a wheel. , It is tucked in a pretty good spot. Have no grass at all under motor after runs even on fresh cut grass with alot of clippings. I seen a few guys just buy the case duct box and run that to prevent grass build up from under motor.
Link doesn't work . Why the hell are you being so agressive over a damn air filter? Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. Opinions don't make a person right .
the link for some reason does not work in fourm. leave fourm and put in works fine

Last edited:
And yet you still can't produce a single pic to back up your claims. Still can't produce a single video that shows you running this mod and the result.

I looked up the actual device you're using. I find it to be niche at best, and a clog waiting to happen at worst. The moment you show me some videos with a flow bench and some real life results vs a mesh mod, I will absolutely concede. Until that happens, you are all talk and no results.

And yet you still can't produce a single pic to back up your claims. Still can't produce a single video that shows you running this mod and the result.

I looked up the actual device you're using. I find it to be niche at best, and a clog waiting to happen at worst. The moment you show me some videos with a flow bench and some real life results vs a mesh mod, I will absolutely concede. Until that happens, you are all talk and no results.
Awwwwww now I got to go to my safe room....

If you can not understand what I put into print. Then I know why you need pic's. Do you walk around all day with a smart phone in hand doing all your thinking for ya, Me think's so.

I did this hopefully it helps I've meshed the pullstart inside and out and meshed the gaps on the chasis between the main chasis and engine fan cover and also on the clutch bell holder also obviously the crankcase is mesh modded also

Attachments

• 20190810_225423.jpg
    20190810_225423.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190810_225405.jpg
    20190810_225405.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190810_225345.jpg
    20190810_225345.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 22
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks