Screen Modification Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
Engine Screen Modification

I thought it a good idea to put a thread together for this basic modification.
Even on a new model there are many reasons to remove your motor and install this modification.
One is that you will minimize the amount of debris that gets into the engine from the bottom vent holes and gets jammed between the shroud and head.
Second it will definitely save you at least one rotor in your motors life.
When your motor runs the rotor sucks in air for cooling. With the air it will suck in grass, dirt and gravel that sit in the bottom area of your chassis. Grass and dirt is only an inconvenience but, the small pebbles and rocks can cause serious rotor damage. Damage is caused by the pebbles bouncing around and eventually taking out the fins on the rotor.
Removing fins unevenly will make your rotor unbalanced and wear your engine parts.

DSC01405.jpg

Please if you have any photos or material lists of your own please post up.

Here are my ideas and materials:

Any type of window screen can be used, fiberglass or metal. Metal will have less of a chance to tear if a rock gets stuck under the engine. I used plastic/fiberglass in my mod from an old window I had laying around. I have done 6 motors this way and have a crap load of screen left over from one old window screen.
I used ZAPII adhesive which I have used for just about everything in this hobby.
http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt12.html

Cut the screen just larger then the size of the holes. You should have enough screen on both sides so you can adhere it to the case. Don’t worry about extra cause you ca trim it later.
Just put some adhesive on the case and press the screen onto it. Wait until the area has set a bit and adhere the other side and so on. To speed up the time with ZAPII you can use a hairdryer. Take your time.

DSC05043.jpg
DSC05044.jpg
DSC05032.jpg
DSC05033.jpg

Please see the Screen Modification Pull Start.
https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35521#post35521

Last edited:
OK I am about to punch out the screen in my window for my new motor, I don't think the LandLord will mind!! I will just tell him, BTB told me to do it.

Good tip, as always BTB.

Trip..

No problem, my window screen has about a dozen BB holes in it from shooting the neighbors pissing cat, I call him "Pisser" I could use a new screen anyway!!

Trip..

One of the hardware stores in town makes custom screens. The guy gave me, for free, some old screen. Even if you have to pay it is only a dollar or two per square foot.

snapped screw

well bigger the better hows the going

i need to take out a snapped screw from my diff mount lower and also one from my front shock tower.

what do you think is the best way to sort this?

drill bit and easy out?

Not sure those small ones will work?
If that works and you used lock tight make sure you heat up the piece before cranking on the easy out. I would guess even if it gets screwed up just drill out bigger and up the size to the next one.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks