Servicing Your Stock 1/5 scale Bearings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just easier to service the next time, as the wheel bearings take the worst beating. With the shields still on the outside, and bearings sealed in the cups, it keeps a clean pocket inside where the grease is exposed. All exposed bearings have both shields, like clutch bell carrier, center diff, and so on.

Been lubing bearings for MANY years. My go to grease is Mobil 1 synthetic. Excellent longevity, highly resistant to moisture intrusion. The biggest culprit of bearing wear is moisture. The cheap China Vasaline "crack jelly" lube is pathetic.

Not a fan of using "thin oil" for high speed off road applications. Thin oil is a very good fit for the racer who is willing to invest time into frequent bearing cleaning / lube sessions . Light Oil is the best for maintaining minimal bearing rolling resistance which = max top speed and minimal loss of hp, however i'm of the opinion that thin oils will blow past the seals and if your not paying attention to oil lubing intervals you can seize a bearing in a short period of time. Not sure why the vid suggests petro based oil as petro again can absorb and mix with moisture and go bad. I'm also respectful of all types of lube opinions so if you've had positive, reliable luck with oiling bearings than by all means do so. Another problem with bearings in an off road applications is when you use a pressure washer. The high pressure water literally blows right past the seals and causes premature wear. Most people probably don't use a pressure washer on an RC vehicle but in the world of ATV's and dirt bikes it's a problem to be aware of.

Not a fan of using "thin oil" for high speed off road applications. Thin oil is a very good fit for the racer who is willing to invest time into frequent bearing cleaning / lube sessions . Light Oil is the best for maintaining minimal bearing rolling resistance which = max top speed and minimal loss of hp, however i'm of the opinion that thin oils will blow past the seals and if your not paying attention to oil lubing intervals you can seize a bearing in a short period of time. Not sure why the vid suggests petro based oil as petro again can absorb and mix with moisture and go bad. I'm also respectful of all types of lube opinions so if you've had positive, reliable luck with oiling bearings than by all means do so. Another problem with bearings in an off road applications is when you use a pressure washer. The high pressure water literally blows right past the seals and causes premature wear. Most people probably don't use a pressure washer on an RC vehicle but in the world of ATV's and dirt bikes it's a problem to be aware of.

Yep, just depends on application. I think the indoor race guys use thin oil regularly. The grease I use does rob a little power until it thins out some, but it gives piece of mind. I only do a tear down once or twice a year!

This isn't me . I found it while going down the rabbit hole. Just figure I would post it seeing it's on this topic.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks