Shock help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zouz10

Hey guys,
So here is the situation. On my MCD RR. I filled the front shocks with 40wgt and the rear with 20wgt.
First, do you all think this will help prevent the car from nose diving?

Second, when I finish re-building the shocks and close them after bleeding them. I compress them and they don't rebound much if at all. The compression happens, but no rebound. It's really frustrating because I have built many shocks with no problems, but i am baffled by this..

Any help is appreciated,

Chris

do they have a mini condom on top? if not you could be fine with little to no rebound. the rubber will push them back down though if it has one because of the air above

Yes Barry it does have a "mini condom" LOL

Which direction should it be pointing?

Also, the reason i am asking is because when i push the car down with the springs, it comes back up but not all the way up. On my rears, i have maximum spring tension and on the front I have half tension.

Chris

Hiya Chris,whenever I have built shocks I have found that there should be no rebound at all. Rebound occurs when the shock is overloaded with oil.The piston should be compressed and is meant to stay compressed,the spring on it returns it.The oil inside is there as you know to make a dampening action and not as a compressed liquid.The bladder on the shock is meant to face inwards, I.E concave into the body not convex.
Hope this helps.
J.

Ohh I understand!! So i have it correct then. on the 1/8 scales it always rebounded, i must have messed theme up some.. OOPS!!! LOL

Thanks James

Chris

Seems like the question to rebound or not to rebound varies from manufactor to manufactor. I found nothing in my MCD directions that said the shocks had to rebound or not. So I put equal amount of shock oil in the shocks checked for equal amount of rebound in each shock , put them back on no leaks , bad handling or anything except fun .

rebound will happen when off the car and no spring attatched. that's what you look for. push it in, the bladder has air above and pushes the shaft back out a bit. at least it should somewhat.

Kool,
I just got some stiffer springs, so i will let you all know if they make a difference.

Off to the park to bash.

Chris

So I put the stiffer springs on it and it really made the difference. WoW that thing actually goes back up after a jump. I was getting worried that something else was wrong..

Thanks for all your help guys.

Chris

Rebound on these heavy models will blow out a shock.:no:
As voo said it happens when the shock is over oiled.

You can also use shock adjusters to take up space.

The oil is the dampening.
The spring is the hight and stiffness.
Its a fine line between the two before you get a pogo stick or a sloppy loose ride.

Experiment with other oil thicknesses and try a few adjusters.

Rebound on these heavy models will blow out a shock.:no:
As voo said it happens when the shock is over oiled.

...............I believe when a shock has too much oil in it it is called a hydro-lock not rebound. I run a little rebound in all my current vehicles including my offroad trucks that I jump , I have had no busted shocks yet how high are you jumping??

the bladder on top is an air pocket. when the shock is compressed the bladder goes up into the cap, when you let go, the bladder should push the shaft back out a tad. same with pulling all the way out, it should go back in a tad when you let go.... assuming you filled the shocks and had the pistion to the top when you put the cap on

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks