shock oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizdaz

hi guys :)

ok need a bit of advice please!

i have an FG Monster Beetle Pro for about 7 years, never changed the oil in my shocks once since i had it! ..only because there was no need to. But over the past year ive pretty much upgraded most of it to alloy (especially the rear end).

Anyway because of this the rear end has dropped & theres very little rebound (if any) due to the extra weight so basically the rear end has very little shock travel & im guessing this is down to the shock oil & springs as.

So what i wanna know is which oil should i get? im guessing a i need much thicker oil & better springs (the springs at the moment are the stock FG ones) ..i do alot of jumping & bashing & racing etc.. bit of all sortes really, but i want my rear shocks to work as they did so they have full rebound again!

ive been looking at the 40wt silicone but i don't have a clue really as ive never done an oil change before & same goes for the springs :( ?

any ideas please? ..the front ones seem fine still & are nice & stiff with full rebound as my front end is still pretty much stock.

thanks guys :)

Daz, I always advise people to use gen FG oil because you know where you are at when asking this sort of question or trying to tell people what sort of symptoms you're having.

If you want to bring it over with ben one night then we'll arrange something.

btw 3000wt in the front and 2000wt in the back.

hiya mate ta for reply :)

would 2000wt be enough for my backend? ..like i say my MB is heavy as the whole lot (except for the front wishbones/bulkhead is alloy.

I read up a lil bit on oils & i heard 30-40wt is good for bashing/jumping?

is the higher the wt the thicker the oil?

Also what springs would be best to make the suspension better, at the mo im just using the stock FG ones that come with the monster, but even with 2 thick spacers on at the top to squish the spring to make it more solid, theres still no rebound, my rear end just sinks & don't come back up :(

cheers again :)

ok just looked it up.. 30k & 3k are the same..

HPI just number it differently.. ie:

HPI 30000wt = 3000 for FG

Also the difference between FG & HPI is FG is silicone based where as HPI shock oil is pertolium based, so think i go with the FG oil.

So if i got some 3k for the rear shocks & hard springs?

The front is spot on so not gunna touch them as front end soaks up the bounces nicely, just the rear end is the prob :(

My marder and leopard race were all alloy and thats what I had in them, you could try stiffer springs but I've never bothered, a new set of standard springs should give you the desired effect.

You may not have any rebound because the shock oil thats in there is too thick and the springs won't do their job.

my springs are defo in need of new ones anyway probably (been working hard past 7 years!) but want to get stiffer ones so they give more spring action (if that makes sense!) ?

Too hard a setting and it will bounce all over the place & you will loose traction, too soft and it will bottom out too easy over the jumps. New std springs will prob make a big difference once you have sorted the oil out but it is trial & error to get the desired setting for where you run & what you do. I would go with 2k oil first & see how it performs. After speaking with ross mods & advise on here when I did mine it seems to be a good starting point and decent weight for all occasions.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks