Shock towers how tough ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar_Bus

So the Terminator is in the house ! These trucks are just SOO awesome up close ! Spent the last few hrs just looking it over and sipping a Bud ! :) The chassis overall looks tough without being too rigid. I really like the idea of the top cage to add some backbone to the complete chassis. Couple plastic parts I see to be an issue and I plan on fabbing some aluminum replacements. My first concern is the shock towers, they are very tall and really are not tied into the chassis well. before I get my panties up in a bunch i'll ask the question do you tend to snap the shock towers on a bad crash or are they rugged ? I'm thinking about fabricating some aluminum brackets to bolt the tops of the towers to the rear of the cage. Would like your input !

They are rugged. They are made to give a little and are not as prone to snapping as they may appear. Keep the stock ones and get a feeling for what kind of driver you are. Maybe you need tougher ones maybe you don't. but you need to sort out that they are not tied into the chassis well regardless of what you do. That is a priority one fix.

Thanks Thrasher, i feel a bit better now. Still think I will fab a pair of rear brackets to add some structural rigidity. Don't think securing the tops of the shock towers to the roll cage will hurt anything.

Still think I will fab a pair of rear brackets to add some structural rigidity.

That is a fine idea. To do bits and bobs to stiffen the truck up is never a bad thing. Just remember that some parts are made with a bit of flex in the material to prevent them from snapping. Make sure you don't prevent them from flexing. Those are the towers the A-arms and there should be a little flex in the chassis unless you are doing serious on-road racing where stiffer is king.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks