Shocked!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallgoldguy

My TBII has been pretty darn reliable and fun but I'm having issues with the rear shocks. Being a virgin in the 1/5 scale and also in RTR models, I ignored all recommendations of a tear down and inspection. I paid for that lesson! When I did the tear down, I found the rear shocks leaking. Upon further inspection, the top caps were cross threaded on. Scott at Nutechracingusa hooked me up with new shock bodies/caps, and new shaft seals. After switching over to new ones, they still leak:mad:from the top cap and if I get that to stop, the shaft leaks! I can't get the top cap to tighten up enough without stripping the fine threads and I can't tighten the bottom cap tight enough without really damaging the shock body. So before I JB WELD this thing together and someone has any info, that would be great!!!

Replace the rubber orings and then bleed them correctly and don't over tighten the caps

Last edited:
By "bleeding" you mean letting the oil sit overnight and letting the air bubbles work out? By the way, how much oil should you put in? I was filling to the top and then installing the rubber diaphragm letting the oil overflow to be sure it's full. What is the recommended rear shock oil? The manual does not mention it. It bottoms out pretty good in the rear and I wanted to try to stop that.

By "bleeding" you mean letting the oil sit overnight and letting the air bubbles work out? By the way, how much oil should you put in? I was filling to the top and then installing the rubber diaphragm letting the oil overflow to be sure it's full. What is the recommended rear shock oil? The manual does not mention it. It bottoms out pretty good in the rear and I wanted to try to stop that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C79b0Gmu0Xs

the top rubber diaphragms split around the mold indent on the top...very hard to see unless you wipe it clean and then bend it...i've had all mine go more than once..first time i rebuilt them i didn't notice the tiny split, when they still leaked i looked closer and found the culprit

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks