Should i change my clutch bell??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie2166

I've been using my truck fairly often for the last 2 yrs (ish)

When ive needed to change clutches, ive noticed the clutch bell walls are very smooth and shiny, will it make a difference running like that or should i buy a new bell?

Recently, the bell itself has also caused one clutch to burn out and a gear to melt, would the clutch being this old and used cause immense heat to occur??

Bearing in mind i have fitted a ddm torque pipe, a velocity stack and a new air filter

If a clutch be is smooth it'll be fine provided it's not paper thin.

The bearings being buggered or things like the layshaft being bent are the only "normal" culprit for melting things like gear carriers.

One tip is to put your cluch bell in your battery drill to see if it's bent or not, while you're doing this you can always run a bit of emery cloth around the inside to clean it up.

I'm not sure of the wall thickness but I've got a new one kicking around in my box so I'll have a look in the week.

one of the bearings facing toward the engine is slightly dented but since the gear plate/carrier is now aluminium (upgraded) im not guna worry about overheating (i doubt it'll get hot enough to melt it lol)

plus all the transmission is now metal too

Hi Eddie,
With the engine off, if you remove the pinion, or spur, is the clutch bell spinning freely around the clutch?
If you don't want to / prefer not to / cannot remove these, with the engine off, rolling it forwards and backwards, does it appear to spin freely or does it catch on the clutch?

Al.

i think unless your running in sand theres not a great deal that goes wrong with the bell if its not binding and aint warn so bad you can see light through it then leave it

thanks for the replies

i think im going to buy an elcon clutch, purely because they are meant to last longer whilst generating less heat in the process

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks